• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Researching Pieces
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Thanks, fun read!  I also enjoy hunting down information about original comic art, and I have been looking into the background of my Milt Story archive of an unpublished daily strip, "Adam Bumm" which consists of 24 dailies and some character studies.  Milt Story was a bullpen artist and idea man for Al Capp Enterprises, and wanted a daily of his own.

Turns out he had created a 4-page story "Planet Pete" in the back of Li'l Abner #87 (thanks, comics.org) which inspired Adam Bumm.  Cool!  I picked up a reader copy of the book to see for myself.  Best, David S. Albright

adambummpiano.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Eggcellent thread idea as always, good Buraddo, and solid sleuthing.

The extent of my recent research involved tracking down the Werewolf (White Wolf) sourcebook that contained a painting done by Brian LeBlanc.  All I knew was the year of its creation, so I found a digital drove of sourcebooks and scrolled down page after page of werewolves and other beasties.  Upwards of a thousand+ pages.

Eventually, I hit jackpot... it was from the War Against the Pure sourcebook.  Felt great.  }:-)

BC1B7037-1C8C-441D-9A38-A94014A04A64.thumb.jpeg.b0fa396548c17c7ba0cebea957343d9e.jpeg8DF4219A-8190-4385-94C7-49D24A67AE84.thumb.jpeg.3da4b07f3d6c18fbde0f798f3cdd1381.jpeg

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, Lobstrosity said:

I purchased this page from Excalibur back in 2012

It was listed as being the work of Steve Epting (penciller) and Philip Moy (Inker), but honestly it never looked right to me. The issue was credited to them however.

When I received it, my suspicions were confirmed, as I found a signature of Joe Madureira had been written in pencil on the front....but then erased (you could still make it out though). 

I started contacting the various artists, but had difficulty getting in touch with Joe Mad. As luck would have it though, in 2015 I saw that he was to make an appearance at SDCC, so I took the page with me and tracked him down to talk about it.

Sure enough, he said the work was his...in fact he said he was either still in high school when he did it, or just out. He filled in on just this one page for the issue! He signed the margin for me and gave me a few suggestions on who the inker was. With a little more sleuthing, Bill Anderson confirmed that they are his inks.

3PzxQdkK_070417165743lola.jpeg

that's a great story