• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie about to send in a comic and need help

21 posts in this topic

1st appearance of Adam Warlock (HIM), looks to be an ok grade, not super high, but not terrible (Obviously that's w/out seeing the inside).

In my semi-amateur opinion, send it in, get it pressed and cleaned, do it probably standard (maybe economy if you want to wait and maybe undervalue).

Well worth doing though

Mmmm, resorting to name calling. Now my Thursday is complete. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Slap Happy said:

Ah, you must be one of those brainiac Newbs who thinks a character's first appearance can be in a Previews catalog lol

5 hours ago, Ryandw80 said:

Is this worth sending with all the damage and what services do you recommend plus what grade does it look like?

20210408_120116.jpg

20210408_120102.jpg

The book recently sold for $320 at auction raw in the VG-Fine range.  If encapsulated and you have a book that is free from restoration I would assume it would go for more.  I would send it in but with other books to offset some of the cost in shipping.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The book recently sold for $320 at auction raw in the VG-Fine range.  If encapsulated and you have a book that is free from restoration I would assume it would go for more.  I would send it in but with other books to offset some of the cost in shipping.

But would it actually, and by enough to offset the cost of submission?

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

But would it actually, and by enough to offset the cost of submission?

Fair question and I think it is also based on the history of people messing around with black covers.  I bought a few copies of Thor 165 when they were like $25 in 6.0-7.0.  There was minimal risk.  Growing up with the knowledge of a comic store owner taking a black sharpie to erase spine ticks makes me nervous.  I know it was very common to improve the appearance of books from this time period and especially with black covers. 

I think that you want to get this graded for the other reason of establishing buyer confidence in the sale. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Open the book and examine the spine of the interior covers. Most simple color touch will bleed thru. If you can see it, your book is restored and may not be worth the time and effort needed to grade it.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, Ryandw80 said:

Is this worth sending with all the damage and what services do you recommend plus what grade does it look like?

20210408_120116.jpg

20210408_120102.jpg

It's worth getting this pressed/cleaned and graded. I don't know what grade it will get but it looks like a nice mid grade book (like 5.0). Lots of demand for that at the moment. All the best!