• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Staples

6 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Are you asking if both companies have the same grading criteria?

Yes, with regard to treatment of rusty staples.  In other words, would they generally reduce their grades roughly the same depending on degree of rust... or is one a little more forgiving on rust than the other.  I'd assume they're roughly the same since their grading standards were both originally implemented by Steve Borock, but I have no experience with CBCS other than anecdotally hearing that they're a bit looser overall.  Thanks for any insight you might have... 

Just now, EastEnd1 said:

Yes, with regard to treatment of rusty staples.  In other words, would they generally reduce their grades roughly the same depending on degree of rust... or is one a little more forgiving on rust than the other.  I'd assume they're roughly the same since their grading standards were both originally implemented by Steve Borock, but I have no experience with CBCS other than anecdotally hearing that they're a bit looser overall.  Thanks for any insight you might have... 

Since both standards are basically 'trade secrets', all we can do is assume. I also have very little experience with CBCS, and none that involves rusty staples.

3 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

I would guess that CBCS would follow pretty much the same criteria as CGC does when evaluating rusty staples. But please keep these factors in mind: The overall condition of the book, the amount of rust on the staples and how much of that rust has transferred to the cover and/or pages. It's also important to note there's a distinct difference if only one of the staples is affected...

On 4/9/2021 at 6:48 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I'd assume they're roughly the same since their grading standards were both originally implemented by Steve Borock, but I have no experience with CBCS other than anecdotally hearing that they're a bit looser overall. 

I agree (also about the anecdotal evidence). Steve was instrumental in developing both CGC and CBCS grading criteria so I would assume they are quite similar.