• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any grading/slab services more low rent than PGX!
1 1

49 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, rexinnih said:

While never submitting to PGX, I do have some standards, I have purchased a few at auction and then sent to CGC for reholder. Most surprisingly came back similar grade with one coming back higher. 

pgxflowchart.thumb.png.360b63b8258ba183ceb06cbcaf37c0bc.png

Fifteen years ago while even more clueless than today I bought a pgx ASM #3 in 3.0 condition. Cracked it out a couple of weeks ago and it looks probably 2.5.  YMMV.  Don't know anyone less reliable on high grades.  My single other pgx purchase on hatebay was a restored comic (Ast. Tales 27) that didn't disclose edge(s) trimmed and overgraded a 6.0-6.5 as a 7.5. Want scans?

Edited by grebal
meant TTA not AT

I don't understand the logic sending books to PGX/CBCS to grade, the books are much harder to sell....they are not as liquid as CGC graded books

From buyer perspective, the only way I'd buy PGX/CBCS if they're mega-keys, at the price I could afford, other than that NOPE, I won't buy PGX, CBCS graded books. PERIOD.......even though we enjoy collecting, we still want to have that choice to sell books easily, just in case........with PGX/CBCS, they just don't move in the market

6 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I don't understand the logic sending books to PGX/CBCS to grade, the books are much harder to sell....they are not as liquid as CGC graded books

From buyer perspective, the only way I'd buy PGX/CBCS if they're mega-keys, at the price I could afford, other than that NOPE, I won't buy PGX, CBCS graded books. PERIOD.......even though we enjoy collecting, we still want to have that choice to sell books easily, just in case........with PGX/CBCS, they just don't move in the market

Some people will buy the book because it sells at a discount to CGC and hope it will get a similar grade when submitted to CGC.

Others buy them and deslab it and still others are clueless and just buy the pretty number.

14 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

There's a price you can get for a raw book and there's a price you can get for a CGC graded copy of the same book.  Those are basically two ends of the selling option spectrum.

PGX/CBCS books may not match the price of a CGC graded book... but if they're further into the "profit area" than the price you can get for raw plus the costs of submitting to PGX/CBCS, you can bet someone is going to go for that profit.

Example:

Raw: $100, CGC: $300

PGX/CBCS: Let's say it's only $200, but $100 (if it was raw) + slabbing cost is a lot less than $200, so there's still an extra profit here vs. selling raw. 

Now, you have to ask yourself why they'd submit to PGX/CBCS if the book was a legit $300 CGC-worthy book... but that question answers itself.  The book probably isn't worthy.

Edited by valiantman

50 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

If selling them is the main reason you buy them you may be right. If you just want to collect a high grade preserved copy then one of those other services is a viable choice. I trust their grading. It’s not the one that starts wit a ‘p’.

I know this is a cgc board but why trash the other companies? If people like them let them use them, competition is good for consumers, right? 🙂

4 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

If selling them is the main reason you buy them you may be right. If you just want to collect a high grade preserved copy then one of those other services is a viable choice. I trust their grading. It’s not the one that starts wit a ‘p’.

I know this is a cgc board but why trash the other companies? If people like them let them use them, competition is good for consumers, right? 🙂

I didn't trash them, read my post carefully again......I'm just posting the fact, their books don't move as easily as CGCs...and personally I will never buy their books, because of the liquidity issue 

37 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I didn't trash them, read my post carefully again......I'm just posting the fact, their books don't move as easily as CGCs...and personally I will never buy their books, because of the liquidity issue 

I shouldn’t have quoted you as I was more responding to the thread in general, I apologize. 

I’ve never used pgx, I’ve never even seen one in real life. I have used the other service and was satisfied with the grading. If anything I found them to be stricter than cgc 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

I shouldn’t have quoted you as I was more responding to the thread in general, I apologize. 

I’ve never used pgx, I’ve never even seen one in real life. I have used the other service and was satisfied with the grading. If anything I found them to be stricter than cgc 🤷‍♂️

no worries...

I understand that competition is good, to keep CGC in check, but they're so far ahead of the other guys, their competitions can't keep them in check.

I'd rather see this grading stuff controlled/governed by non-profit organization

For real, my books are in my basement right now.

Send me your stuff and I will grade it.

On what scale is whatever I feel like.

Sometimes I'll grade it on a scale of 1 to 10, where one is a picture of feet by Liefeld and a 10 is a Thanos doodle by Perez.

Or a scale of red to blue, where 1 is pink marker hello kitty and a 10 is rusty staples.

20 bucks a pop with tats around 6 months. Bagged and boarded in what they came in, with the grade written on the bag in permanent marker

3 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

no worries...

I understand that competition is good, to keep CGC in check, but they're so far ahead of the other guys, their competitions can't keep them in check.

I'd rather see this grading stuff controlled/governed by non-profit organization

What? Like by the Smithsonian?

6 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

It would be nice if everyone could agree to a consistent standard to minimize subjectivity. It seems like everyone is based on overstreet but has their own secret recipe on top of it.  

The real value of grading, I think, is in having pros detect restoration, trimming, etc. Things you can’t see in pictures. That’s what draws me to them, for expensive older books at least.

14 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

It would be nice if everyone could agree to a consistent standard to minimize subjectivity. It seems like everyone is based on overstreet but has their own secret recipe on top of it.  

The real value of grading, I think, is in having pros detect restoration, trimming, etc. Things you can’t see in pictures. That’s what draws me to them, for expensive older books at least.

agree, maybe CCA can issue standards and guidelines on grading to maintain consistency, and let profit organizations implement those guidelines

so the customers know, regardless which company grades the books, they all at least following the same guidelines

Edited by IronMan_Cave