• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Boxes/Raffle/Waffle wins and losses
3 3

33 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

It really feels akin to going to a random guy selling stuff on the side of the street, handing him a bunch of money and asking him to mail me what they are selling.  Sure, they may very well be honest enough to follow through, but it seems like a bet with mostly downside.

If I want to gamble, I'd much prefer to do it at a poker table.  Or even a slot machine, for that matter.

Yes, precisely. Sure, maybe the seller is honest and really IS going to put that $1k+ key book in your box...but why would they? If no one is there to see, who will know the difference?  This may just be my own cynicism, but yeah, I'll keep my money.

20 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, precisely. Sure, maybe the seller is honest and really IS going to put that $1k+ key book in your box...but why would they? If no one is there to see, who will know the difference?  This may just be my own cynicism, but yeah, I'll keep my money.

is this a boardie?

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 4/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, shadroch said:

My story is that of all the boxes I sold, only one person expressed they weren't happy.  I had a great time making them up and the fact that many buyers went on to buy more expensive boxes would indicate their happiness.  You weren't happy, but didn't want a refund when I offered it, nor a partial refund or credit towards a future box. 

My mystery boxes were the best thing since sliced beer and it is tragic that this new generation will never experience the joy of opening one.:headbang:

I loved your mystery boxes.  I wish you still did them. 

I have only bought one, from a Facebook live show.  $25 + 10 shipping.  Got an Immortal Hulk Alex Ross cover that I sold for $15, a Silver Two Gun Kid, and an Avengers 195 (the one with the "cameo" of Taskmaster), and some filler. Not bad. 

Edited by Spidey 62

I tried DA Cardworld’s hit parades, bought three SS CGC Boxes. They were: a SS jusko book, a collin bunn 9.8 book, but then third box had a Tales To Astonish 44 (1st wasp) cgc 3.5 SS by Stan Lee.  Haven’t bought one since. That was last summer, may try another soon tho just to see if i get uber lucky again.  My friend hit a JIM 83 in a dacardworld one as well, again hasn't tried one since.  

It's the high end raffles that really baffle me. I've seen raffles in IG for books like AF15 where each spot is $1000 and some guys buy like 5 or more spots. Sure it's an amazing deal if you win, but I can't imagine losing $5k with nothing to show for it. That money could have easily been spent on a SA grail. Well, not these days I guess. In today's market $5k will get you a mid grade 1st appearance of Agatha Harkness.... :|

On 4/21/2021 at 6:59 AM, serling1978 said:

It's the high end raffles that really baffle me. I've seen raffles in IG for books like AF15 where each spot is $1000 and some guys buy like 5 or more spots. Sure it's an amazing deal if you win, but I can't imagine losing $5k with nothing to show for it. That money could have easily been spent on a SA grail. Well, not these days I guess. In today's market $5k will get you a mid grade 1st appearance of Agatha Harkness.... :|

From what I've seen, and I just got back into comics after over 20 years so I'm no expert, the high end raffles seem to have small raffles to get into them. So your $1000 spot would have a raffle with ten $100 spots where winner gets into the big one. Then maybe the $100 spot would have a mini raffle at $10 each. I've done a few raffles, I won my first one and lost the next few but it's fun and gives me my gambling fix. 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:57 PM, LizardKing00 said:

From what I've seen, and I just got back into comics after over 20 years so I'm no expert, the high end raffles seem to have small raffles to get into them. So your $1000 spot would have a raffle with ten $100 spots where winner gets into the big one. Then maybe the $100 spot would have a mini raffle at $10 each. I've done a few raffles, I won my first one and lost the next few but it's fun and gives me my gambling fix. 

Oh yeah that's definitely true. I've participated in mini raffles before to get a spot in the main raffle. I was just referring to specific cases I've seen where people literally spend thousands on a couple spots in a raffle. Still blows my mind. 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, serling1978 said:

Gambling is a hell of a drug