• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Economy getting the short end of the stick...

27 posts in this topic

Why is economy double the price of bulk, but only a 2 day less estimated turnaround time? There's 0 incentive to use economy. Might as well just do away with it entirely. You should probably stop grading bulk for a while, and get to some of those economy orders... This is ridiculous, I paid for my grading months ago, and they just keep extending the wait time every month. At the current rate, I will literally never get my cards back. Next month it will be 170 days, the month after it will be 200 days, ad infinitum. Keep in mind I've been complaining since they STARTED increasing the TAT, so this is exactly what I said would happen the entire time, and everyone was like nahhhhhhh, nooooooo, they won't raise it EVERY MONTH...
It's not that I'm mad... I'm just disappointed. You are destroying your fledgling grading service before it even leaves the nest. RIP cgc trading cards.

1 hour ago, UncSven said:

Why is economy double the price of bulk, but only a 2 day less estimated turnaround time? There's 0 incentive to use economy. Might as well just do away with it entirely. You should probably stop grading bulk for a while, and get to some of those economy orders... This is ridiculous, I paid for my grading months ago, and they just keep extending the wait time every month. At the current rate, I will literally never get my cards back. Next month it will be 170 days, the month after it will be 200 days, ad infinitum. Keep in mind I've been complaining since they STARTED increasing the TAT, so this is exactly what I said would happen the entire time, and everyone was like nahhhhhhh, nooooooo, they won't raise it EVERY MONTH...
It's not that I'm mad... I'm just disappointed. You are destroying your fledgling grading service before it even leaves the nest. RIP cgc trading cards.

Its for the insurance, not for a faster TaT. Cmon dude.

I feel its about right that Economy and Bulk are similar turnaround times, I consider Economy to be the normal "low tier" and bulk as you get a pricing benefit for submitting 50+ cards at once at lower tier, surely it is less time consuming to open one persons 50 card order and process it than 10 peoples 5 card economy orders. To suggest they "stop grading bulk" for awhile is absolutely ridiculous, its already moving so slow, I got an December 2nd received bulk order back the 2nd week of February, my friend just got a December 8th received order back this week, so they are basically getting through 1 received day of bulk orders per week as it is, they can't just get even more behind on it. Bulk orders have it bad now too, suggesting they just take a break from grading bulk is absurd.

7 hours ago, sellerservicescorp said:

I feel its about right that Economy and Bulk are similar turnaround times, I consider Economy to be the normal "low tier" and bulk as you get a pricing benefit for submitting 50+ cards at once at lower tier, surely it is less time consuming to open one persons 50 card order and process it than 10 peoples 5 card economy orders. To suggest they "stop grading bulk" for awhile is absolutely ridiculous, its already moving so slow, I got an December 2nd received bulk order back the 2nd week of February, my friend just got a December 8th received order back this week, so they are basically getting through 1 received day of bulk orders per week as it is, they can't just get even more behind on it. Bulk orders have it bad now too, suggesting they just take a break from grading bulk is absurd.

How is it a ridiculous suggestion when all their competitors who have been doing this for 2-3 decades longer have stopped taking bulk? Here we have a company that has a service that has not existed for a year, yet it thinks it can handle its business better than other major players who have been around forever. I just dont see how that makes any sense.

I have a 12/30 order thats going nowhere. I expect it back probably in May, maybe June the latest. Thats around 5-6 months TAT. I get the whole guestimation thing, but going from 25-30 days to 55 to 70 something to 110, to 144, to probably 200 at some point, its kind of a bad look. At first I gave CGC some time to get new workers and figure things out, but when your competitors shut down and your getting their entire market share with your workforce that is a fraction of the size, yeah Im starting to think they are legit making bad choiecs at this point. The math at this point doesnt add up and someone has screwed up.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, Oreos said:

To be fair, the cost/tat doesn't make sense. If you have a card that exceeds bulk value you might as well use standard, as the price difference is negligible for a fraction of the tat. In that aspect it hits a weird middle ground that I couldn't imagine anyone even using it anyway. 

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

6 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

To be fair, the cost/tat doesn't make sense. If you have a card that exceeds bulk value you might as well use standard, as the price difference is negligible for a fraction of the tat. In that aspect it hits a weird middle ground that I couldn't imagine anyone even using it anyway. 

pretty much, and with them being extremely strict on 10's for no reason, you're not getting any. So you'd be a fool to not do bulk, and just pay a price increase for any card that costs too much. It's win win, but you can't explain things like that to these people. They're brainwashed loyalists that believe cgc can do no wrong.

3 hours ago, UncSven said:

There's no reason to even post on these message boards, lol... You'll just get flamed by moronic loyalists. It's the same 2 or 3 dudes who literally comment on EVERYTHING, and have 0 life.

lol theres some sane people on here like yourself and im not going to let them stop me from voicing my opinion.

cgc is just bgs 2.0 but cares too much about centering. bgs is prob less strict on centering. im not sending anything else in at this point. ill prob wait for psa to reopen or sgc to lower their prices or wait for hga to add non sports. cgc was good at first but they just let the good press get to their heads and now they dont care.

its also ironic that people say they are the psa of comics. lol i guess thats not far off since they have similar issues. stuff gets damaged in transit, inconsistent grading, takes forever, bad customer support, etc. if im going to grade for resale and getting lipservice no matter what, i guess ill take whoever gives the best return on investment at this point...

1 hour ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

lol theres some sane people on here like yourself and im not going to let them stop me from voicing my opinion.

cgc is just bgs 2.0 but cares too much about centering. bgs is prob less strict on centering. im not sending anything else in at this point. ill prob wait for psa to reopen or sgc to lower their prices or wait for hga to add non sports. cgc was good at first but they just let the good press get to their heads and now they dont care.

its also ironic that people say they are the psa of comics. lol i guess thats not far off since they have similar issues. stuff gets damaged in transit, inconsistent grading, takes forever, bad customer support, etc. if im going to grade for resale and getting lipservice no matter what, i guess ill take whoever gives the best return on investment at this point...

It's becoming an issue of where to go for me tbh. I like CGC cases, customer service honestly has been decent when I've needed them. SGC has priced me out for all but the most expensive cards, BGS is ehh, PSA has stopped, and I have a stupidly large pile of cards ranging from $75-100. I'm just hoping and praying they will change something to stop TAT from growing out of control. I get bulk being lower priority but to push it back continuously with little to no increase in other tiers is unfortunate. If I use standard I doubt I could actually make anything off them and the increase I would have to make to the price on resell is something I don't think the buyers would pay. They simply aren't valuable enough to make the leap from bulk to standard even though most are closer to the high end of bulk cut off. Economy prices I might be able to get away with but there's no benefit as TAT are just as bad as bulk.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:23 AM, UncSven said:

Dude....use business days...... >< you got your hopes up if you think there are 30 working days for CGC in any month...... 

1 hour ago, TheRealGritty said:

Dude....use business days...... >< you got your hopes up if you think there are 30 working days for CGC in any month...... 

???
in every instance, every use of the word days = "business days" in the paragraph you quoted. There are like 8 non business days a month, max. How many business days are we from january 11th (when my sub was marked received) ? 71-2? would be 74, but holidays... The estimate at the time, and even for a little while after received, was 30 business days, not 30 days. You get it now?

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

If only people stopped sending stuff in, then turn around times could be shorter.

Also, if you have a card worth 200$, you can't use Bulk, so there's the reason to choose economy.

correction. If you have a card that you THINK is worth 200 dollars... For a lot of what is graded, the 10 is maybe over 200, the rest of the grades... aren't. You're not getting a 10 with their arbitrary standards and extreme valuing of rear centering. So, for half the price and only a 2 day longer wait, you send it value and let them upcharge you if they have to. You'd be a fool not to. If you have a card where the 8 or 9 is also over 200... let's be real, that was never a bulk candidate.

Just now, UncSven said:

correction. If you have a card that you THINK is worth 200 dollars... For a lot of what is graded, the 10 is maybe over 200, the rest of the grades... aren't. You're not getting a 10 with their arbitrary standards and extreme valuing of rear centering. So, for half the price and only a 2 day longer wait, you send it value and let them upcharge you if they have to. You'd be a fool not to. If you have a card where the 8 or 9 is also over 200... let's be real, that was never a bulk candidate.

It's not like there's a penalty for underestimating your card a 9, if it somehow squeaks out a 10. At cgc, I highly doubt anyone will find themselves in that situation... lol

2 minutes ago, UncSven said:

I can only imagine how many of you have been paying for 10's when all you have are 9's, and how much money you've all wasted lol

I hate to give away the sports card world secrets, but this is how pretty much all long time graders grade their cards. Saves a lot of fees in the long run by sometimes stopping you from overestimating your cards.  You're all welcome.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Angel of Death said:

:facepalm:

On 4/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, Oreos said:

Well, well, well... Not only was I right... looks like CGC agrees with me, and took my advice! What say you now, nay sayers?

snip.PNG

1 hour ago, UncSven said:

Well, well, well... Not only was I right... looks like CGC agrees with me, and took my advice! What say you now, nay sayers?

snip.PNG

Has nothing to do what I said?

You asked a question on why the tier is there, and the REASON it was there was because of the Max Value per Item.

Yes - we all understand it was odd for turn-around times to be so similar, but I was simply answering your question on why the tiers were different. Derp.

Edited by Oreos