• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Well and Dead Insects Inside CGC Holder

3 posts in this topic

Last week I purchased a CGC-graded book from an eBay seller. I received it a few days ago, but after closer inspection, I noticed that it does not meet the quality standards of other graded books I have purchased in the past. While the outside holder doesn’t appear to be damaged (there are no apparent signs that the holder was opened, no scratches, no stress marks), the inner well, in which the book lies, is loose and shifts slightly depending on how the slab is tilted. In fact, if I shake the case gently, I can hear it rattling around inside. According to CGC’s online verification tool, the book was graded on Jan 17, 2005. Is it possible for the inner well to come loose like this over time? Or is this a quality control issue that should have been addressed when the book was graded?

Also, there are dead insects, yes dead bugs, inside the CGC holder that also shift around depending on the slab’s tilt. The holder came in a very dirty bag with grime stuck to the inside surface of the bag. Seeing as how this book was slabbed in 2005, is the older model of the holder susceptible to dirt or insects transferring into the case? Or is this reason enough to believe that the CGC holder has been tampered with? Perhaps someone opened the holder (is that even possible?) and bugs got inside. In any case, the “artifacts” are confined to the space between the outer slab and the inner well. They are clearly visible, but are not on the comic itself. The paper has not been affected as far as I can see. I can supply photos.

I have many other graded books and it has always been my understanding that CGC’s grading service produces sealed plastic cases. I do not know how many times this book might have changed hands since it was graded, but not once have I come across these types of defects, not even from CGC’s competitors. Any information regarding what I described, or as to whether this is a clear case of a CGC holder that has been tampered with, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Some minor movement inside the holder is normal and acceptable and would not hurt the book.  

As far as the bugs go, the holders are not completely airtight so depending on how and where the books were stored after encapsulation, it is conceivable that insects could get into the bags and/or holder itself if they were small enough.  

We can certainly reholder the books for you and that should take care of the issue but you might want to contact the seller on that since there would be a charge for the reholder option. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 4/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Some minor movement inside the holder is normal and acceptable and would not hurt the book.  

As far as the bugs go, the holders are not completely airtight so depending on how and where the books were stored after encapsulation, it is conceivable that insects could get into the bags and/or holder itself if they were small enough.  

We can certainly reholder the books for you and that should take care of the issue but you might want to contact the seller on that since there would be a charge for the reholder option. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Thank you for your time Jennifer. At some future point I’ll go ahead with the reholder service, but I’m going to wait until I have a few books so I can save on shipping costs.