• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you think threads about marketplace conditions will continue to proliferate? Or will they taper off? 📈
1 1

32 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

The YouTube pundits are the worst. You see similar self-appointed technical analysts for cryptocurrency, and, I assume, other alt asset classes. They pull up some chart or table and proceed to b.s. elaborately. Bonus points for using a markup app to draw some lines on the screen.

You might be very right as to that being a cause of the drive up in prices.   I was asked to watch a comic collecting show in twitch a little while back.  The guys on the show were quoting results for high grade marvel keys and then showing a 5.5 from their person collection or a raw copy.   The comment section was eating it up.  I pointed out what they were doing and they stammered and worked around their words. 

To use an example of a current result as I forget the specific data on the book I called them out on.   

Let's say they quote a hammer price of ASM 300 in 9.8 at $5,000.  Then they would hold up either a raw copy or a 9.2 and say that this book "could" be worth that.  Now you have people going bonkers that any ASM 300 could be worth that and buy into the hype. 

Is it driving up pricing?  You might be on to something there.  I figured that no one really pays attention to these guys but they seem to have an audience cheering them on.  I guess that audience is supporting the price increase. 

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

You might be very right as to that being a cause of the drive up in prices.   I was asked to watch a comic collecting show in twitch a little while back.  The guys on the show were quoting results for high grade marvel keys and then showing a 5.5 from their person collection or a raw copy.   The comment section was eating it up.  I pointed out what they were doing and they stammered and worked around their words. 

To use an example of a current result as I forget the specific data on the book I called them out on.   

Let's say they quote a hammer price of ASM 300 in 9.8 at $5,000.  Then they would hold up either a raw copy or a 9.2 and say that this book "could" be worth that.  Now you have people going bonkers that any ASM 300 could be worth that and buy into the hype. 

Is it driving up pricing?  You might be on to something there.  I figured that no one really pays attention to these guys but they seem to have an audience cheering them on.  I guess that audience is supporting the price increase. 

It seems a fair number of the folks here are pretty sure most of their raw books are 9.8s.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

The YouTube pundits are the worst. You see similar self-appointed technical analysts for cryptocurrency, and, I assume, other alt asset classes. They pull up some chart or table and proceed to b.s. elaborately. Bonus points for using a markup app to draw some lines on the screen.

I agree with you, and it seems like ALL comic Youtubers are on this bandwagon now.  The problem is that they all have their group of sycophants.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:17 AM, Buzzetta said:

I think it's absolutely a "thing."  Which is why these Youtubers are refered to as "Influencers."  But I don't think it can last forever.  When the sheep move on to the newest flavor of the week, the prices will be coming back down.  As someone else pointed out, it's already starting with the sports cards.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Reminds me of this piece from yesterday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/opinion/biden-economy-culture.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

When markets are booming, everyone wants to talk about markets. The whole culture shifts.

Great article!  I think the author hit it right on the head.  But the difference today is that the pendulum seems to swing faster.  It won't take as long for the bubbles to burst as it did in the 1990's or the 1920's.