• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I know what to send to CGC?

47 posts in this topic

Hello, new at this. I have about 80 Marvel Comics from the 1980’s.

what web sight should I use to figure out a good guesstimate on which comics I should send it to CDC for appraisals?  There are too many to send them all. So I want to look up prices to make sure I send in the best of what I have.  Do you suggest just googling them? Or go to a certain web sight.  E-bay seems to be all over the place with bids.  What do you think I should do?  I’m new at this.

35 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

what web sight should I use to figure out a good guesstimate on which comics I should send it to CDC for appraisals?  There are too many to send them all. So I want to look up prices to make sure I send in the best of what I have.  Do you suggest just googling them? Or go to a certain web sight.  E-bay seems to be all over the place with bids.  What do you think I should do?  I’m new at this.

Do you have fairly common comics?  if so then don't look at active auctions on Ebay.  Use their filter to look at completed/sold listings to see what similar copies actually sold for.   Ebay only shows sold data for something like the last 3 months

You can also try goCollect.com as they have a free version of their service that shows graded comic values (as long as there's enough sales data)

There's a sub-forum here called "Buddy Can You spare a grade" where you can post pics of your books and members will give you their estimates of the conditions.  Read the sticky to get all the rules etc for using that sub-forum.

Once you get a feel for the approx condition/value then you can balance value vs cost of grading & selling to see if there's enough potential profit to make it worth it to you

1 hour ago, Jo McCormick said:

Got a list?

14 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

No, but I could!  Who would I send it to?  I just posted one that I’m going to send to cgc. 

image.jpg

ASM 238 is a great book (thumbsu

I was thinking you could post the list of the books in this thread, and we could isolate the top 10 

Welcome to the boards :headbang:

26 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Are the tattooz intact in the 238? 

Yes!!  Everything is there and pages aren’t damaged. It’s been in a plastic sleeve since the 80’s 

52 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Rather than a list just spread them out and take pictures.  We can identify books worth a closer look.

Ok, but there is a bunch!

6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

If you think that will discourage us you underestimate our addiction to the hobby

Exactly....we’re HOPING to see a bunch!

Ok, so the 238 probably makes sense, and, of the other pictures, I think your only candidate, if it’s super sharp, is the World’s Finest. Am I missing anything, gang?

Keep ‘em coming! @Jo McCormick

While I'm sure some are curious to see what you have (and are certainly willing to help), I think the best option in order to gain a better understanding of the hobby, would be to look up sold listings of what you have.  One of those "teach a man to fish..." moments.  Where the boards are really helpful in furthering your knowledge, is with grading.