• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I know what to send to CGC?

47 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

While I'm sure some are curious to see what you have (and are certainly willing to help), I think the best option in order to gain a better understanding of the hobby, would be to look up sold listings of what you have.  One of those "teach a man to fish..." moments.  Where the boards are really helpful in furthering your knowledge, is with grading.

Then I have to watch TV or the squirrels on the fence all night.  :makepoint:

13 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

You guys are funny!   I’m loving your interest in these. Hopefully you aren’t going to tell me that I’m waistline my time!

:preach:  We have to be funny to get the girls.  I know, hard to believe considering our debonair and suave personalities. 

Ok guys!  That is it!!  So it looks

like I only 2 that I should send to

cgc?   Let me know if you see anything else...what am I going to do with all these if they are worth anything?  :-\.  Ya’ll are awesome!

thanks for the help!!

15 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

image.jpg

The punisher #1top right corner of pic and possibly 2345

18 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

image.jpg

The green dinosaur bot transformers 

24 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

image.jpg

Moon knight 1

34 minutes ago, Jo McCormick said:

image.jpg

The amazing spider-man bottom left corner and the one wit spidey and Symbiote helping someone out of water

You have a Thundercats 1 which has popped in price.  A good way to determine value is an ebay search. Here I search for Thundercats 1, sold clickbox clicked so you get items that sold rather than items listed at an unrealistic price, sorted highest to lowest

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=thundercats+1&_sacat=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

You can also do an ebay search by comic title with the same parameters to get any issues that are valuable.  I added a copper age restriction to return only books published in the copper age between 1984 and 1991.  If you have issue 45 that's good as it's the first appearance of the Spectral Vision - whomever he is - and very hot.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/165364/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=west+coast+avengers&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Punisher mini series, Secret Wars 1, Moon Knight 1 also pop out.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=punisher+mini&_sacat=165364&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=165364&_odkw=west+coast+avengers&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Some GI Joe issues have value.  #14, 26, 21, 155 154 off the top of my head.  Sorry I don't know them well enough to identify them by cover but you can find them with this ebay search

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=gi+joe&_sacat=165364&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=165364&_odkw=punisher+mini&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Jo, you have a pretty typical collection from the 1980s.  Popular books back then and still popular to collect although fairly common.  Before you submit comics for grading you need to understand that condition is very important for paper collectibles including comics.  Comics are grade from .5 to 10, .5 being low grade and 10 being absolutely perfect and almost impossible to attain.  It's also important to understand that CGC grading comics isn't cheap and it doesn't make sense to spend $40 to get a comic pressed and graded if it's not worth much.  My actual target for grading is at least a minimum projected value of $150 to $200.  Some books are worth grading in any grade, some if quite nice, some only if they are near perfect - think 9.8 out of 10 - and some aren't worth paying for grading in even the highest grades.

Your Spider-man 238 appears to be your best book.  A 9.8 out of 10 recently sold for $3700.   A mid grade copy 5.5 recently sold for $201.  It's probably not worth grading if it's less than a 4.5 to 5.0.

Your Moon Knight 1 is worth over $500 in 9.8 and maybe $100 graded 9.0.  There are some other Moon Knights worth grading if they attain 9.8 especially black covers which are hard to hit high grade on and a few first character appearances.

Your Punisher 1 is about $1000 in 9.8 and about $150 in 9.4

You have three books that will bring good money. Unless they are in really great shape, with no little spine tics, I wouldn't have them slabbed. 

It will cost you $200 or so and you'll wait months and months to get them back.

What I'd do is list the Spidey 238, Moon Knight 1 and Punisher 1 individually.

Make that four books- Thunder Cats is in demand right now.

I'd list the Joes and Secret Wars  in groups, and sit on the rest, hoping some character in one of them pops. 

Take good photos and ask strong prices after you've checked sites like mcs.com and ebay

You can show pictures in the grading section and get an idea what to call them.

Best of luck.