• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

322 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, sfilosa said:

I will take the under at $300k. While it is a great cover, Wood's is really known for his Sci-Fi work. Romitaman has a really nice Weird Science #22 Wood's cover for $130k. Not sure why this one would necessarily go for almost two and a half times as much.

I still think a lot of EC stuff is undervalued simply because it doesn't "fit" into too many collections. I own a Jack Davis complete story and would love to own more EC art. That said, I really have no interest in just owning one page. The whole thing that makes EC so interesting is the stories. Yes a cover would be awesome and some splash pages would be nice. But part of the problem with the splash pages is a lot of times the "host" picture is just a stat, which pretty much makes the splash pages not worth more than a panel page (since they sometimes are panels and not a splash also).

2c

Under 300?   No way!   I'll take the way over !  :)

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Under 300?   No way!   I'll take the way over !  :)

You might be right, I might be crazy (I've been listening to a lot of Billy Joel lately). :foryou:

Last Wood's EC cover sold for $46k. Chamber of Chills #11 cover sold for $176k (not Wood) and that was supposed to be an iconic image (outside of the comic world). 

That said, the answer will be known in about two months. Even at half of $300k, I wasn't getting it, so I'm good with any price.(worship)

5 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

You might be right, I might be crazy (I've been listening to a lot of Billy Joel lately). :foryou:

Last Wood's EC cover sold for $46k. Chamber of Chills #11 cover sold for $176k (not Wood) and that was supposed to be an iconic image (outside of the comic world). 

That said, the answer will be known in about two months. Even at half of $300k, I wasn't getting it, so I'm good with any price.(worship)

Wally Wood Weird Science 22 cover sold for $90K in 2018.

his cover to Weird Science 15 sold for $72K back in 2013.

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

I just think this is one of those pieces where you throw out the comps a bit (kinda like throwing out the 'bisley' comps for the Lobo 1 cover that just sold).   And we have Halperin for whom this is RIGHT up his alley.    So we've got one of the most recongizable EC covers and probably at least one very motivated and wealthy bidder.    No one's got a crystal ball, but boy I like the chances for this one to do well.

Edited by Bronty

Normally I'd take the under at $300k but all this (super significant beyond the art itself) piece needs is two rich bidders who want it BAD.  I'm guessing those two bidders, one of whom is already known to us, exist.  I'll take the over.

Dan

So, looking at HA results, how many covers have sold for over $300k, that weren't:

* Frazetta (most of those are paintings except for a Famous Funnies with Buck Rogers)

*Robert Crumb (don't even ask me why, as I don't understand the appeal)

*Spider-Man or Batman,

* Classic cover Green Lantern #76 ((Adams-remember #77 didn't even break $100k just recently)

* Classic cover X-Men #268 (Jim Lee, and truthfully I don't understand the appeal of this one either)

The answer is none.

And while this is considered a classic cover, and all it will take is two bidders that really want it, regardless of costs, it doesn't really fit into the category as in, "I remember seeing that on the newsstand and it blew my mind". Anyone who bought this on the newsstand is 75 years or older and more likely to be selling art than buying. The most EC cover sold by Heritage was $90k, Wally Wood Weird Science #22 less than 3 years ago, pretty darn cool cover.

All that said, I made my points why I think $300k is high, but I've seen a lot of prices shock me in the past, and this one wouldn't necessarily shock me.:baiting:

8 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

So, looking at HA results, how many covers have sold for over $300k, that weren't:

* Frazetta (most of those are paintings except for a Famous Funnies with Buck Rogers)

*Robert Crumb (don't even ask me why, as I don't understand the appeal)

*Spider-Man or Batman,

* Classic cover Green Lantern #76 ((Adams-remember #77 didn't even break $100k just recently)

* Classic cover X-Men #268 (Jim Lee, and truthfully I don't understand the appeal of this one either)

The answer is none.

And while this is considered a classic cover, and all it will take is two bidders that really want it, regardless of costs, it doesn't really fit into the category as in, "I remember seeing that on the newsstand and it blew my mind". Anyone who bought this on the newsstand is 75 years or older and more likely to be selling art than buying. The most EC cover sold by Heritage was $90k, Wally Wood Weird Science #22 less than 3 years ago, pretty darn cool cover.

All that said, I made my points why I think $300k is high, but I've seen a lot of prices shock me in the past, and this one wouldn't necessarily shock me.:baiting:

You have to look at this as an encore of "Master Race." The same folks who bid on that will be bidding on this. 500K isn't a crazy guess.

3 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

This SS 6 cover is just phenomenal. The pinnacle of what the hobby can aspire. So much art that sells for big numbers feel overbought. Whatever astronomical number this one brings in is fully earned. True best of the best.

It is a great cover, but as someone who bought original back issues in the 70's (as a kid), and bought the collections and reprints in 80's and 90's (to read to my wife and kids, alright I'm a little off), this cover was not one that I said, "must have issue". Is the art phenomenal, yes, but there were many other covers that were "appealing" and even by todays standards would be considered "shocking". How is this cover any different than Suspense #3 by L.B.Cole published in 1944. Or lots of other covers from the 40's (Timely or Continental). While I don't love the art of the cover, Shock SuspenStories #12 is way more shocking and unique. Literally a heroin addict going through withdrawals on the cover (and unfortunately, still timely). That would have shock the s*** out of me if I was a 10 year old kid picking that issue up on the news stands.

Once again, SS6 is great art, but nowhere near as unique as it is being hyped up to be (IMO):foryou:

5 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

:whatthe:

I think I might have made an enemy today!!!:makepoint:

Let me rephrase, don't understand the appeal at $300k. It was past my comic reading time when you did that, so I have no nostalgia to that cover. Just like noobies who would watch the original Star Wars or Raider of the Lost Ark, and they have no idea how ground breaking those movies were for the time.

11 minutes ago, glendgold said:

You have to look at this as an encore of "Master Race." The same folks who bid on that will be bidding on this. 500K isn't a crazy guess.

Nowhere as unique as that story. 

I can find 50 covers very similar to that one, published before SS6. Once again, not knocking the art at all, just knocking the nostalgia for that cover.

Man, I came to the wrong bar to chill!!!!:martini:

Just now, sfilosa said:

I think I might have made an enemy today!!!:makepoint:

Let me rephrase, don't understand the appeal at $300k. It was past my comic reading time when you did that, so I have no nostalgia to that cover. Just like noobies who would watch the original Star Wars or Raider of the Lost Ark, and they have no idea how ground breaking those movies were for the time.

You absolutely did NOT make an enemy. :foryou: Opinions about art are like you know what holes. We all have them. And ironically, I think you're more off target on your analysis of the SS 6 cover than that lame Xmen 268 cover! :baiting:

46 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Nowhere as unique as that story. 

I can find 50 covers very similar to that one, published before SS6. Once again, not knocking the art at all, just knocking the nostalgia for that cover.

Man, I came to the wrong bar to chill!!!!:martini:

I don’t see sub 300.   Wanna bet 50 bucks? Friendly wager ? 

6 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This SS 6 cover is just phenomenal. The pinnacle of what the hobby can aspire. So much art that sells for big numbers feel overbought. Whatever astronomical number this one brings in is fully earned. True best of the best.

Plus I remember reading the story and thinking, "This isn't a case of amazing cover, mediocre story..."   Gave me chills -- EC at its best. Didn't see it coming, that ending.