• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

322 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Opinions about art are like you know what holes.

Black holes? 

True story. On the final exam in property law class the prior year, the teacher, an activist Woman's Libber and a professor of the class, liked gender neutral words. So, for a question about easements and what are normally known as manholes, she wrote "personholes". That befuddled so many, that as a result, some half an hour into the exam, she had to come into the class and explain what the heck a personhole was. The loss of time was bemoaned by many and caused some really low raw scores for grades.

Conclusion: Spit it out: an a*shole is what it is. :)

I am not going to make a prediction about how much SS6 goes for, most of those posting here are much more knowledgeable than me on pricing. But I will point out that those nay sayers who cite lack of nostalgic value miss the point. Yes nostalgia is currently the driver for most of today's market and yes SS6 is old enough that few buyers will remember buying the comic off the newsstand. But when OA gets old enough historical and aesthetic values come into effect. SS6 cover is very powerful on both fronts. While technically the hooded figures are not KKK, that is certainly how people today respond to them. The Simon and Kirby Adventure #73 cover went for 125K (if my memory serves me right) years ago. I am sure it is worth much more today. So forget nostalgia, while I am unwilling to specify a price, I am sure SS6 will go for big bucks.

As an aside, as years go by and more and more OA loose their nostalgic value you can expect a market correction. Some pieces will go up, other down.

41 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I am not going to make a prediction about how much SS6 goes for, most of those posting here are much more knowledgeable than me on pricing. But I will point out that those nay sayers who cite lack of nostalgic value miss the point. Yes nostalgia is currently the driver for most of today's market and yes SS6 is old enough that few buyers will remember buying the comic off the newsstand. But when OA gets old enough historical and aesthetic values come into effect. SS6 cover is very powerful on both fronts. While technically the hooded figures are not KKK, that is certainly how people today respond to them. The Simon and Kirby Adventure #73 cover went for 125K (if my memory serves me right) years ago. I am sure it is worth much more today. So forget nostalgia, while I am unwilling to specify a price, I am sure SS6 will go for big bucks.

As an aside, as years go by and more and more OA loose their nostalgic value you can expect a market correction. Some pieces will go up, other down.

I bought at Heritage a Jack Davis seven page EC horror story (with the splash having a really nice (non stat) picture of the host) for $26k last year. And some of Ingles complete stories have sold in the $20-30k over the past few years. Al Williamson's seven page sci-fi story (two parts) sold combined for $70k just recently. All of these seem like "bargains" to me compared to the price of a lot more newer art. The reason why is that Golden Age art doesn't carry that much nostalgia for most OA fans, and that is what has been driving prices up like crazy, not the "quality" of the art.

I have no skin in the game, and SS6 art is A+, love Wood's work and for the right story, I will sell a lot of art I don't want to sell, to get a complete story.:banana:

55 minutes ago, cstojano said:

LOL that's the worst frame job ever.   Guessing they just repurposed a previous frame

7 minutes ago, vodou said:

Most likely the image is on larger odd-sized board, lots of white border, and the customer/framed didn't want to cut that down.

Ah yeah.   Good thought... might be.  

I own/owned a number of Vallejo pieces and the boards he draws on are usually pretty standard. I just think whoever framed this wanted to present it differently than most of us would. That piece was on eBay for years. Can't remember exactly but I think the Buy it Now price was in the $20-30k (or more range). Don't think it will get anywhere close to that. Wait....I'm bashing the price of other piece of art. I can hear the mob coming for me again.:baiting:

49 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

I own/owned a number of Vallejo pieces and the boards he draws on are usually pretty standard. I just think whoever framed this wanted to present it differently than most of us would. That piece was on eBay for years. Can't remember exactly but I think the Buy it Now price was in the $20-30k (or more range). Don't think it will get anywhere close to that. Wait....I'm bashing the price of other piece of art. I can hear the mob coming for me again.:baiting:

I own no Boris artwork but love a lot of his stuff and if the right piece came up in auction, would definitely bid.  I definitely prefer his earlier stuff and not so much his later “weird” stuff.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Black holes? 

True story. On the final exam in property law class the prior year, the teacher, an activist Woman's Libber and a professor of the class, liked gender neutral words. So, for a question about easements and what are normally known as manholes, she wrote "personholes". That befuddled so many, that as a result, some half an hour into the exam, she had to come into the class and explain what the heck a personhole was. The loss of time was bemoaned by many and caused some really low raw scores for grades.

Conclusion: Spit it out: an a*shole is what it is. :)

Well, I'm a normal person who swears a bit, but this site doesn't allow that so that was my off the cuff analog word. Yours is better and more direct to be sure.

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

Ah yeah.   Good thought... might be.  

But the thing is nearly 6 feet tall. Surely that isn't all board underneath. When it first posted I thought it was a tiny piece they upped in the frame to take up wall space. But the piece itself is a perfect framing size. I quite like this one myself, though I suppose it is "late" being 2004 and presumably not published anywhere significant. 

31 minutes ago, cstojano said:

But the thing is nearly 6 feet tall. Surely that isn't all board underneath. When it first posted I thought it was a tiny piece they upped in the frame to take up wall space. But the piece itself is a perfect framing size. I quite like this one myself, though I suppose it is "late" being 2004 and presumably not published anywhere significant. 

another good point.   I didn't see the six feet tall part.   Yeesh.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

another good point.   I didn't see the six feet tall part.   Yeesh.

Yes and if they boutique framed this or went to Michaels in the one week a year they don't have a coupon running then the frame alone would cost 2k. The winner should request it be shipped out of frame to save the freight charges from HA.

The name plate alone is a foot wide. Maybe these dimensions are wrong, but I doubt it. I am going with convenience/re-use frame here.

Edited by cstojano

They have the ASM 197 cover listed as Dave Cockrum pencils.    But every other source I’ve seen - including previous Heritage auctions of the CGC book - lists Keith Pollard as the cover artist 🤔

5B796661-47D9-4E02-8B6D-DA93C5FAFE8A.jpeg