• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

322 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

From 1969, when he was still at the height of his powers. 

Amazing that I've never even heard of this piece.  It will be interesting to see what this goes for, because on the one hand it's pretty good, from his peak period and shows some nice female buttocks (although fairly well camoflaged), but on the other hand is not a high profile piece.

meh.   50% of the piece is non descript cliffside (yes, I get that you could describe WSF 29 the same way if we want to get pedantic but its very different here because in a painted picture those dark cliffs "take over" the composition).   You can barely see the figures.   The apes are alright, but its not exactly chock full of drama.    I'd expect a lower end (for frazetta... ) price.   These days that's what?  250,300?

Edited by Bronty

15 hours ago, glendgold said:

I have always loved this one, and it's not been on the marketplace for at least 25 years, maybe more.

lf.jpg

Couple Howard covers in the same auction.  Somebody's divesting their ducks.  Way it goes Marvel will probably reveal Howard's place in the upcoming multiverse tales the day after his last piece is gone.     

9 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Are you sure? I thought several years ago on these forums someone showed the cover as a new acquisition? I only remember because I know I told them that Niagara Falls was spelled wrong. Maybe they just posted the cover for a different reason, which is very likely.

Apologies, I accidentally got kind of cute with how I defined the "market." It traded hands mmmaybe ten-twelve years ago but in a private (i.e. it wasn't offered around) transaction. The owner before that had it since (at least) the 1980s, as I understand it.  In any case, it's cool, it hasn't been shopped around, it's not mine, I can't afford it, and it should do well.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Gotta love those 70s books.  The beavers are always furry.

Speaking of Beavers...pre-cerebus Dave Sim Beavers @ Heritage...

Dave Sim and Gene Day The Beavers Daily Comic Strip Original Art | LotID #53005 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Dave Sim and Gene Day The Beavers Daily Comic Strip Original Art | LotID #53004 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Original Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Dave Sim and Gene Day The Beavers

Original Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Dave Sim and Gene Day The Beavers

6 hours ago, bluechip said:

Couple Howard covers in the same auction.  Somebody's divesting their ducks.  Way it goes Marvel will probably reveal Howard's place in the upcoming multiverse tales the day after his last piece is gone.     

I can state with confidence that the covers are from different sellers. 😁

More great art was added recently, including the following items:

Keown Hulk The End cover.  Full disclosure --> i was the original owner and held onto this piece for approximately 15 years.  The artwork and story for this one-shot were very special to me, and it must have been for many others, too, because the cover has been reprinted numerous times, in various languages.  Alas, nothing is forever, and I needed to sell it to raise funds for something else.  

Original Comic Art:Covers, Dale Keown Incredible Hulk: The End ...

BWS Conan #2 cover.  So, we've seen a few early Conan's change hands publicly over the past 4-5 years, and here's another opportunity for someone to add a nice cover to their Barbaric collection.  This one has the 'B-trifeca' going for it: Babe, Brute, and Barbarian!

Original Comic Art:Covers, Barry Smith Conan the Barbarian ...

Jim Lee Ghost Rider 26 cover, X-Men crossover.  Its counterpart cover sold recently for $72K, will this one perform as well?

Original Comic Art:Covers, Jim Lee and Scott Williams Ghost Rider

Byrne FF 250 pinup.  When FF 250 was released, I think it fooled a lot of folks into buying the issue because it was the 1st time Byrne illustrated the X-Men since he left the title.  Needless to say, a lot of folks were surprised to find out that it wasn't the X-men.  I'll just leave it at that, in case someone on this thread hasn't yet read FF 250.  So, long story short, a lot of folks saw this FF pinup and I'm certain there's a lot of nostalgia towards it.  

Original Comic Art:Story Page, John Byrne Fantastic Four

Alex Schomburg Overstreet Price Guide #10 cover - A fantastic cover from the beloved cover artist of the Golden Age.  Schomburg covers command a premium against surrounding issues without his work, and I think this one will fetch a hefty sum.  Did Schomburg paint many more superhero covers after this one?  I think this was one of his last, right?

Original Comic Art:Covers, Alex Schomburg Overstreet Comic Book Price G...

Gil Kane Thor 239 cover.  Powerful image of Thor, front and center on this great cover which also features Ulik, Odin, Dr. Donald Blake and Jane Foster.

Original Comic Art:Covers, Gil Kane and Dan Adkins Thor

M Severin/S Buscema Sub-Mariner #25 cover.  A fair amount of Subby covers have traded hands over the past few years, but I don't recall seeing this one before.  Its a great example, illustrated by two fine artists and should god for well above my pay grade!  The auction hasn't started, but I'm already reserving my jealousy for whomever wins this beauty.

Original Comic Art:Covers, Marie Severin and Sal Buscema Sub-Mariner

Bizley Lobo's Back #2 cover (hidden richard cover).  Ah, the fun my friends and I had trying to find the hidden johnson on this cover, once we found out about it from our LCS owner.  Even more fun than trying to find the hidden spider that McFarlane planted on his Spidey covers :roflmao:

Original Comic Art:Covers, Simon Bisley Lobo's Back ...

On 4/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Bronty said:

Gotta love those 70s books.  The beavers are always furry.

Beavers mostly don’t look like that anymore, at least not in the “art” films watched. 🌮— 👁  👁 —- grape 🍇 🦍 more interested in Frazetta apes. If only Frank had included grapes it would be the holy grail.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

M Severin/S Buscema Sub-Mariner #25 cover.  A fair amount of Subby covers have traded hands over the past few years, but I don't recall seeing this one before.  Its a great example, illustrated by two fine artists and should god for well above my pay grade!  The auction hasn't started, but I'm already reserving my jealousy for whomever wins this beauty.

Pure Sal goodness :luhv:

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Rarely does a piece sum up a character this well in one image/page.  You would get what this was about even if you'd never heard of the Sub-mariner before you saw it. 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, glendgold said:

I have always loved this one, and it's not been on the marketplace for at least 25 years, maybe more.

lf.jpg

Just realized there are THREE 1970s Howard covers in this auction.  For years there, nary a one showed up.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:25 PM, batman_fan said:

They haven't posted the image yet but this cover is coming up.  This one is from my very early collecting years.  I am sure the final hammer price will be out of my range but will be cool to see the OA for it.

hulk203.jpg

I sold the title splash to this book to Burkey a few years back. It just sat on his site for a long time before finally being taken down, not sure if it eventually sold or got traded. I remember thinking at the time I was surprised someone didn't snatch it up after i sold it to him, he had a reasonable mark up on it from what I sold it for and I would imagine if you collected Hulk that was a prime era for you. But it just stayed there for the longest time.