• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

322 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

There are a few OA pieces I wouldn't mind winning, but for the first time in ages my focus in a Heritage auction is more on the comics than the OA. :fear:

I know what you mean. I was amazed when I saw that Captain America Comics #74 with a grade of 9.2. That book is hard to find and when they get listed always in low grade. It will be fun to see what that goes for with it being the top graded copy now too. Same with the Startling Comics #46 in 9.8. Almost all these books are now the highest graded copies available or tied for it.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, innocuous said:

In my perfect world, I would make a run at this. But, I'll have to just dream something similar will show up in the future...

image.thumb.png.d2dfd40f3f9a98855ede439bb9a5aeb4.png

I'm also interested in this just for curiosity. I have something similar on a backing board, not a sketch cover.

What’s up with hulks face?   

I like the namor image well enough, but there's no way jack drew that hulk face.. .which is a shame when its so central to the image.    The rest of the piece is really cool

Edited by Bronty

And why are they all levitating off the ground?

and why is Captain America punching the air?

and why is Spider-Man about to fall on his head?

and why is Iron Man’s feet so small?

and why are the Thing and Dr. Strange just standing there?

and how can the Human Torch turn on a dime at a 90 degree angle?

and when will Thor finally cut his hair?

and when will anybody notice the Invisible Girl? Or is she a woman now?

and for that matter, where is Mr. Fantastic? Is he really the Sub-Mariner in disguise? That would be a stretch!

Edited by Timely

3 hours ago, Timely said:

And why are they all levitating off the ground?

and why is Captain America punching the air?

and why is Spider-Man about to fall on his head?

and why is Iron Man’s feet so small?

and why are the Thing and Dr. Strange just standing there?

and how can the Human Torch turn on a dime at a 90 degree angle?

and when will Thor finally cut his hair?

and when will anybody notice the Invisible Girl? Or is she a woman now?

and for that matter, where is Mr. Fantastic? Is he really the Sub-Mariner in disguise? That would be a stretch!

This is one of the most curious Kirby pin-ups I've seen. Almost every character's pose, separately, would be cool corner box art, but when you see them together they make a strange repetition of form (see how The Thing and Thor are bookending each other? There's a lot of that). Esquire must have given him some oddball art direction. And I think that's a Marie Severin Hulk face.  HA seems to have dropped the Sinnott inks attribution.

This thread has gone super-quiet over the past few weeks but now there's only a few days to go before live bidding and I'm already priced out of the comics I wanted to purchase ($96K for Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.8 is bananas, but there's only four in this condition so if you really, really want one, you're really, really gonna have to pay up for the privilege)

Looking through the current bids in the OA section, there's still numerous pieces that should triple, quadruple, and even quintuple by the time the final hammer is struck.

Good luck to all! (thumbsu