• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Werewolf by Night key issue -- how will coupon cutout affect grade?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

A small part of my collection is stuff I bought as a kid in the 70s including, as luck would have it, Werewolf by Night #32 and #33 (the only two I bought). Getting them ready to send in for grading, I just discovered that my 12-yr-old self cut out a small ad deep inside #32, ruining one panel. I've never submitted something to CGC with a cutout like that and I'm wondering what I can expect in terms of downgrading?

FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg

IMG_1401-compressed.jpeg

That's a real shame Grottu. As it sits, this book would usually receive a Qualified label with a note on the label which designates the missing panel. The book would then be graded normally. For example, if the book is graded a 7.0 it would then become a Qualified 7.0 with a note on the label concerning the missing panel (and undoubtedly the dreaded word INCOMPLETE included as well). 

I've heard that folks can request a blue label for books like this, but that would mean getting a very low grade. Although with the price this book is going for these days, it may still end up a winner...   hm

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Since it affects the story, wouldn’t it be in the .5 range?

That would be good to know, because if "affects story" automatically means a .5, qualified or not, I'm probably better off not even sending it in. I believe I've seen green labels with notes saying some defect or other affects the story, and yet the grades were still higher.

Edited by Grottu

12 hours ago, Grottu said:

That would be good to know, because if "affects story" automatically means a .5, qualified or not, I'm probably better off not even sending it in. I believe I've seen green labels with notes saying some defect or other affects the story, and yet the grades were still higher.

Let me clarify further. A universal .5. Qualified would obviously be a higher grade.