• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN......PGM - AF15
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Low grade but it presents well.

2" Spine split at top. Small piece missing at lower staple on back cover.  Cover is detached.

The CF looks to have been married (extra staple holes... drat, but it's otherwise a surprisingly good page match with paper color and exact size).

Question: Would you leave it alone or have it conserved, to at least reattach the cover?

The word "Appreciate" has been written twice in the "M".  They were trying spell the word, and ended up crossing out the correct spelling :roflmao:.  But to whoever wrote the word there....... Yes, AF15 has "appreciated".... IN VALUE :banana:

IMG_4966.jpeg

FullSizeRender-27.jpeg

FullSizeRender-29.jpeg

FullSizeRender-31.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 4/10/2021 at 10:47 AM, gadzukes said:

Question: Would you leave it alone or have it conserved, to at least reattach the cover?

Assuming you're going to slab it (which I would), I'd send it to CCS to have them review to advise on resto (removal) and possible conservation. 

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Assuming you're going to slab it (which I would), I'd send it to CCS to have them review to advise on resto (removal) and possible conservation. 

There's no resto, but you're probably right.  I have a feeling I'll go this route.

On 4/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, gadzukes said:

a surprisingly good page match with paper color...

I suspect that the cover and all pages were solvent washed, with some level of bleacing/lightening,a little to the covers, more than a little to the pages, and that would partially account for the close match of the centerfold to the rest of the pages.

Also, how many AF 15s has anyone here seen with pages that are this white? And a cover with robust wear, yet seemingly no soliing whatsoeverr? Especially that the graphite color scheme of the cover lends itself to smudges and dirt streaks so easily. It's highly unlikely that only immaculately sterile objects would have come into contact with this book to creat all this wear and yet not soli or darken areas of contact at all. 

Further, the entire hue of the cover colors are on the light side and there appears to not be piints of contact for abrasives. So my feeling is that awash with some degree of chemical lightening was used. Not knocking the book, just accounting for processes it encountered along the way. It's a wonderful piece of history. (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I suspect that the cover and all pages were solvent washed, with some level of bleacing/lightening,a little to the covers, more than a little to the pages, and that would partially account for the close match of the centerfold to the rest of the pages.

Also, how many AF 15s has anyone here seen with pages that are this white? And a cover with robust wear, yet seemingly no soliing whatsoeverr? Especially that the graphite color scheme of the cover lends itself to smudges and dirt streaks so easily. It's highly unlikely that only immaculately sterile objects would have come into contact with this book to creat all this wear and yet not soli or darken areas of contact at all. 

Further, the entire hue of the cover colors are on the light side and there appears to not be piints of contact for abrasives. So my feeling is that awash with some degree of chemical lightening was used. Not knocking the book, just accounting for processes it encountered along the way. It's a wonderful piece of history. (thumbsu

While I respect your opinion, I've owned enough of these thru the years that I don't detect any of that.  But... what you've said makes me want, even more to send it to CCS for an opinion.  If it turns out what you've said is true.... you get the champions trophy.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

you get the champions trophy.

Something with an eagle figurine perhaps! For my eagle eyes! I love birds.

And while we're on the subject, have you heard the word? A piece in the news about a certain ornithological matter of the avian variety? :bigsmile:

Grade is in.

2.0 qualified.  Married cover & CF  

I knew the CF was married, but personally, I thought the front cover was part of the comic even though it was detached. I guess it really doesn't matter since it was going to get a Green label anyway.

I'm more than happy with a 2.0

Any good ideas on how I should value this?  Qualified's rarely come up at auction.  Maybe in this grade 70% of a Blue? 60%?

Edited by gadzukes