• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping from UK direct to Sarasota - what do I put on the customs form?

6 posts in this topic

I'm shipping some comics for grading direct from the UK to Sarasota rather than via the London office. I need to fill out a customs form which has the options:
Gift
Documents
Goods you are selling
Commercial sample
Returned goods
Other (please specify)

Any other UK people here who have done this and can advise on what I should choose? Is it "Other" and then specify something like "Printed Materials" in the box???

27 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

Any other UK people here who have done this and can advise on what I should choose? Is it "Other" and then specify something like "Printed Materials" in the box???

Yes, Printed Papers. I do remember writing 'Printed Papers' in large letters on the outside of my shipping package.

6 minutes ago, mrc said:

Yes, Printed Papers. I do remember writing 'Printed Papers' in large letters on the outside of my shipping package.

And does it matter what value you put on it? I don't want to have any delays or issues. thanks

11 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

And does it matter what value you put on it? I don't want to have any delays or issues. thanks

For shipping you choose how much £ cover/value you want when you select a price. Max weight for printed papers is 5kg.

Edited by mrc
edit

Hopefully someone can help me with a related question.  I’ve only bought some inexpensive comic books from UK sellers (< $100), and those were via eBay and sometimes using its GSP.   I never had to pay import charges on those.   My understanding is that the USA either does not collect import duty on printed matter like comic books or the books were too cheap to trigger any import duty, or both, so I never inquired further. 

But what about buying an expensive book (e.g., $10,000) directly from someone in UK (not eBay)?  Will I need to pay import tax on a book declared at $10,000 for insurance purposes?   If so, how much?     

On 8/30/2021 at 6:00 AM, Pantodude said:

But what about buying an expensive book (e.g., $10,000) directly from someone in UK (not eBay)?  Will I need to pay import tax on a book declared at $10,000 for insurance purposes?   If so, how much?  

Surely there will be no tax if the item was originally printed in the US? And are books, magazines, etc not exempt? There will be a govt. website with the info, I am sure.

Make sure the sender writes 2nd hand comic book on the Customs form. All the books I have ordered from the US marked like that have got through duty-free.

Never underestimate the fiendish cunning of Uncle Sam's lackeys, though. If there is a way to tip you upside down and shake the $$$ from your pocket, they will find it.