• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #180 - Is it that red hot?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I won a lot of Hulk books on ebay in auction last year which included a mid grade copy of 180 & 182. When I received the books, the 180's cover was detached at one of the staples, even though the seller said all covers were fully attached in the listing. I sent an e-mail to the seller about it who said "my bad, I will inspect closer the books better in my next auction". I did not like his answer and was going back and forth for days on whether to open a case to return the lot as I felt I overpaid, but decided not to.

Now with these prices, I am glad I did not return it.

Of course, it’s only natural that people jump onto 180, especially if they’re new to the Hobby or if they’re speculating. As it sits, it would appear that there would be more upswing in 180. 

Or it could be just a trend swing, who knows... All of a sudden everyone is interested in Wolverine! Hulk now looks like a shadow.

It really is not a debate - a cameo vs a full appearance :boo: - a forgetful cover vs a fantastic classic cover - a very short history of increased value vs a long dedicated history of rising value - is how I compare issue #180 to issue #181.  As the expression goes "high tides raise all boats."  What we are seeing across the boards (no pun) is secondary and tertiary keys getting more of a spotlight as every collector looks for today's bargains for tomorrow's flips.  Except in super high grades, Hulk #180 should remain relegated as it is "a cameo." :ph34r:  And as noted by others in this thread, with the ever increasing costs of owning great keys - collectors understandably want their fix and thus look elsewhere at cheaper alternatives. Personally I refuse to get sucked up into the mob-mania that permeates these days.  I stand firm in my conviction that historically Hulk 181 is the standout must-own Bronze Age key with Hulk #180 not cracking the top 50 to 75 of important Bronze Age keys.  What we are witnessing now is a tiny snippet of time compared to the entirety of this hobby and for some to put so much money into some of these suddenly hyped up minor keys is risky to say the least.   And don't get me started on Star Wars keys or variants :frustrated: My 2-cents. :preach:

If 180 was the actual first appearance, my copies of Spider-Man 299 would be 1k plus as opposed to not worth jack. This trend of Kamalala Kahn's foot or Jessica Cruz's fist as first only came about in the modern era, but it used to be a little more of a standard.

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Finally got around to submitting this. I had to include the book for verification.

20210503_164258~2.jpg

20210503_164940~2.jpg

So they did it how you wanted to, and put the back on the front! Woo Hoo!  :tink:

Sigh of relief? :x