• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 with rusty staples and chip

9 posts in this topic

I just received a CGC 9.6 "Amazing World of DC Comics" #1. Only thing is, it has rusty staples. I wouldn't think it would grade that high with rusty staples. Am I wrong? It also has a chip in the top LH corner. No grader notes and it shows it was just graded last month. I'm also starting to see holders with trash/dirt trapped inside the slab (this one has this problem also.). Is it possible to return slabs and have them swapped out with cleaner ones? I have a signed virgin cover of Amazing Spider-Man 55 that has a large amount showing on the front cover. It is very distracting...

20210410_141925.jpg

20210410_142118.jpg

20210410_142205[4859].jpg

20210410_144325.jpg

cgc.PNG

170757464_884214115472048_3103620599422924573_n.jpg

Personally, I would have trouble grading a book with apparent rust on the staples as a 9.6.  But, playing Devil's Advocate, the book does look very nice in that one picture you posed showing the whole book.  The close up photo may exaggerate the chip in the corner so perhaps a 9.6 is not out of the question. 

The matter of quality control is another issue in itself.  An issue, by the way,  which I seem to see people posting about far too often lately. 

The OP said it was graded in the last month. Staples won't go rusty that quickly especially in a slab.

Recently in the PGM thread, a book was graded very harshly - much lower than everyone's estimate. It seemed they took off a whole grade for "moderate rust on staples" even though that rust was not visible on the book in the slab.

Also many judges in the PGM thread would downgrade a book to 7.5 for a ding like that on the cover.

16 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

My guess is, the staples looked good when it was slabbed and the rust formed with improper storage. A safe or humid environment. 

"No grader notes and it shows it was just graded last month."

Not that it couldn't have developed rust in less than a month, but graded 3/10/21, sent back to the submitter, then sent to the OP, doesn't leave much time for any storage, improper or not.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

"No grader notes and it shows it was just graded last month."

Not that it couldn't have developed rust in less than a month, but graded 3/10/21, sent back to the submitter, then sent to the OP, doesn't leave much time for any storage, improper or not.

I agree. I totally missed that. 

It's likely a grading error.