• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to sell graded comics

13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

Hello, I recently submitted a couple nice comics to have graded. I’m trying to determine my next step as where would be the best place to sell the graded comics. 

It depends on the books and what your comfort level is with selling. 

If you feel comfortable pricing books,  you can sell them here with no fees (besides PayPal if you use it).  

If the books are valuable enough,  you can work with any of the big 4 auction houses. Comiclink, ComicConnect, Heritage and mycomicshop. 

You can put the book up for auction or consign with them.  In my opinion, all 4 are getting a lot of attention and realizing great prices right now. MCS has the lowest fees and they seem to be the easiest to work with (though I've never sold to any of them, so my opinion is only based on what I see and read here).  

You can consign with a dealer or sell directly to the dealer. Dealers generally won't pay retail since they have to turn the book for a profit,  but they make it awfully easy. Consigning with them let's you name the price and you pay them a fee for using their platform. @blazingbob  with highgradecomics.com is one of the most respected around here.  I can suggeste other great dealers I have work with and trust.  Dealers may not be interested in some books,  so it really depends on what you have. 

Lastly - you can try eBay.  Fees are generally higher for average people.  You run a greater risk of dealing with non payers.  But,  it's a quick and sort of easy way to move books. 

I think KCO basically covered it. 

I recently started submitting stuff to MCS (mycomicshop.com) and I really love their methods of both consigning and selling directly to them. Quick, easy to do, and painless to get to them. For graded comics it's super easy and fast, and you get to decide whether to throw them in auction or just sell them, and when they sell MCS deals with everything, takes their fees, and you get a check/PayPal.

The only "issue" I see with MCS is that they grade raw books really, really conservatively. So if you have a newer book that you had pressed and are convinced is a 9.4 or 9.6 so you consign it to them, they will most likely come back with a 9.0 or less. I'm not sure yet, as I just started, if that eats in to your profit at all. It seems everyone knows MCS does this so they will pay higher prices for "lower" grades on MCS with that in mind, but I'm unsure.

Edited by xvipah

2 hours ago, xvipah said:

I think KCO basically covered it. 

I recently started submitting stuff to MCS (mycomicshop.com) and I really love their methods of both consigning and selling directly to them. Quick, easy to do, and painless to get to them. For graded comics it's super easy and fast, and you get to decide whether to throw them in auction or just sell them, and when they sell MCS deals with everything, takes their fees, and you get a check/PayPal.

The only "issue" I see with MCS is that they grade raw books really, really conservatively. So if you have a newer book that you had pressed and are convinced is a 9.4 or 9.6 so you consign it to them, they will most likely come back with a 9.0 or less. I'm not sure yet, as I just started, if that eats in to your profit at all. It seems everyone knows MCS does this so they will pay higher prices for "lower" grades on MCS with that in mind, but I'm unsure.

I too recommend Mycomicshop, especially for graded books since they will always take in graded books and you won't get their conservative grades.

And I too hope that people will "overpay" in comparison to the assigned grade since most of my submissions got quite the downgrade:

image.png.6ee55d64d07cdc766e146738e5b6f28c.png

image.png.b27146569dd6f140c3777633ed5dc46b.png

I wasn't all that conservative though, so I don't mind it on most. The only one that ticks me off is that VG that became a GD/VG since that book was only VG by technicality due to a subscription crease.

23 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Is eBay worth doing on a couple high end comics or not really? 

how do you define "high end"?

Ebay's big advantage is the number of potential eyeballs 

The downside is taking on the risk of unscrupulous buyers and higher fees (though you could look into opening a 'store' for a month or two to lower the fees - I'm no expert concerning that) .  I'd imagine there's been much much more smooth transactions for high price items than nightmare scenarios, but it's a matter of the level of risk that you're comfortable with.

53 minutes ago, csaag said:

how do you define "high end"?

Ebay's big advantage is the number of potential eyeballs 

The downside is taking on the risk of unscrupulous buyers and higher fees (though you could look into opening a 'store' for a month or two to lower the fees - I'm no expert concerning that) .  I'd imagine there's been much much more smooth transactions for high price items than nightmare scenarios, but it's a matter of the level of risk that you're comfortable with.

+1 

It's not a bad option. Many people use it with great results. I've been turned off by ebay,  but mostly as a buyer. The sellers are notoriously hit and miss and I just feel like it's too much of a gamble when there are so many options these days (particularly with raw books). 

That said, from a seller perspective,  eBay gets comparably results on most books. 

Big ticket items,  I would personally be on the phone with the big auction sites negotiating fees. And it's worth calling some Dealers about consignment opportunities.  

Neither are high grade. I'd say your best bet is sending them on consignment to mycomicshop.  They are expensive books that will sell for a few thousand dollars unless they turn out to be restored or are missing the value stamps. I assume you checked for them?

Edited by shadroch

Yes, both value stamps are intact. Neither book has been restored and both are authentic. There isn’t any markings or stains throughout the books. Both comics were in a binder along with other comics. The covers are a bit rough but nothing serious. 

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

Yes, both value stamps are intact. Neither book has been restored and both are authentic. There isn’t any markings or stains throughout the books. Both comics were in a binder along with other comics. The covers are a bit rough but nothing serious. 

The 181s are in demand enough that you'll get strong results through any of the big auction houses. 

MCS would make the process really easy and have reasonable fees.