• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ST 110
3 3

15 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

Thanks!

IMG_9899.thumb.jpeg.d3fe0620b2aeccb1d6e41ac28293834e.jpeg

IMG_9901.thumb.jpeg.4c68a31f68a302e96f60f70d080f4547.jpegIMG_9902.thumb.jpeg.fdfcb39366c224d2fe384b9ad6cde7c4.jpeg

The characteristics of the cut of the interior's bottom edge warrant a closer look, IMO. I see two areas of concern. 

The page ends themselves and the symmetry, which to me is not as should be expected if gauging from the other 2 open edges.

Also, this concern is heightened by 3 lines of the signature running completely off the margin, and one line almost running off, all seemingly resumed as if the nib was undisturbed by running off the page multiple times, the trajectory of the track unaffected! This typically indicates that a signature was cut off by a portion being excised. 

This is an old Lee signature, signed at a time when he was fully in control of his handwriting. Even with a narrow margin, as presented here, it's doubtful to me that he would have signed his name running well off the page. Imo, there was more paper when he signed it.

Should be examined by CGC. 

2 minutes ago, SellinMyCollection said:

I think 5.5 even with the "63".  Nice book

White Mountain pedigree books, for one, have thelast two digits for the year of an arrival date penned on the covers! And still, they are some of the highest graded and most sought after copies!

JJJ, was just making a comment.  Realize older books had arrival info written on the cover.  Its a great book!  I looked past the 63 and the 410 stamp because I understand this was standard practice and looked at the actual book. I am no pro and I aint CGC.  Just learning from experience, MY GUESTIMATE is still 5.5, I HOPE CGC rates it higher!  Good luck!

5 hours ago, SellinMyCollection said:

JJJ, was just making a comment.  Realize older books had arrival info written on the cover.  Its a great book!  I looked past the 63 and the 410 stamp because I understand this was standard practice and looked at the actual book. I am no pro and I aint CGC.  Just learning from experience, MY GUESTIMATE is still 5.5, I HOPE CGC rates it higher!  Good luck!

Understood. Just pointing out that markings akin to "neat arrival dates" shouldn't have much of an effect on the technical grade other than it being considered a flaw and deal killer to those that pass on books of any grade with markings/writing/dates, etc. There are those that feel a certain way about a particular trait inhernet of the comic that typically aren't considered by most to have any impact on grade whatsoever. They'll pass on owning a book due to distubutor ink, or the way it's folded/mis-folded or the staple placement, or any other number of elements not technically related to actual grade.  I was just pointing that out as I have spoken to collectors who I have heard make statements like, "That can't be NM because there's a date stamp on the cover, or back cover. My comment was more for the sake of generalities. 

Edited by James J Johnson