• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will The Marvel love ever spread to DC?
2 2

91 posts in this topic

Like most of you guys, my jaw continues to drop with each new GPA high recorded on key (and not so key) Marvel books.

Will the frenzy ever jump to DC?

I have to shake my head when some common Marvel keys are selling like hot cakes and at nosebleed prices, when my early Tec's seem to be all but forgotten in the madness.

Will DC ever shine again?

I look at my Tec #36,#38, #58 and #66 plus early Batman keys and think - blimey these are genuine key books, but there appears to be nothing sale-wise on GPA for months.

Are these books, and other DC genuine keys stone cold?

If not, what am I missing, and where?

I love my Tecs, and spent 10 yrs collecting just these 4, so won't be getting rid tomorrow - but one day I will, certainly in the next 10 yrs max.

Is DC dead?

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the future of DC key books (from any age) especially the DC collectors.

Thanks! :foryou:

OP, it appears you are comparing (at least according to the books you've cited) golden age DC books to Silver and Bronze Marvel books, (the books that are currently bringing these incredible results). I don't really see much difference in terms of 'keys' between Marvel (Timely) and DC golden age as far as hammer prices as gold is in some ways a niche market. Classic covers can bring higher prices than some keys in a lot of cases.

Silver, Bronze and Modern  Marvel Keys to DC's now that's a horse of a different color.

I often site DC's Teen Titans as a very undervalued series (especially the 80's team )which has become a staple in animated form, even has a live action series currently in production and produced a pretty important villain (Death stroke) who inspired the creation of Deadpool. Some Marvel guy will probably tell me Death Stroke  in turn was kind of derived from the Taskmaster,  but that's another matter.

DC presents 26 should be selling for way more than it currently goes far , and DC Silver like Showcase, certain Suoes , Wonder Woman, and JLA.keys Black Lightning,  Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc are way behind their Marvel counterparts. 

I believe live action Movie and TV show speculation is the main catalyst here, and and until DC catches up with consistent quality fare in those venues it will continue 

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

DC will be hot when the DC movies are good.

Don't hold your breath.

yep.  they just all suck even the Batmans dont know why ppl like the lousy batman movies.  Bad.
Except for the first WW movie and the orig Superman movie.

5 hours ago, Beige said:

Like most of you guys, my jaw continues to drop with each new GPA high recorded on key (and not so key) Marvel books.

Will the frenzy ever jump to DC?

I have to shake my head when some common Marvel keys are selling like hot cakes and at nosebleed prices, when my early Tec's seem to be all but forgotten in the madness.

Will DC ever shine again?

I look at my Tec #36,#38, #58 and #66 plus early Batman keys and think - blimey these are genuine key books, but there appears to be nothing sale-wise on GPA for months.

Are these books, and other DC genuine keys stone cold?

If not, what am I missing, and where?

I love my Tecs, and spent 10 yrs collecting just these 4, so won't be getting rid tomorrow - but one day I will, certainly in the next 10 yrs max.

Is DC dead?

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the future of DC key books (from any age) especially the DC collectors.

Thanks! :foryou:

DC is not dead. I personally only by marvel books for $$ and to flip 😂 I have no attachment to marvel at all but DC books I have close and dear to my heart! It will hit a point when DC will over take Marvel. It will come around just like everything else. 

I would take a DC Golden age book over a timely book any day if the week! I love the big banner Action Comics and Superman books! I don't like or dislike batman but he doesn't do anything for me. He is ight when compared to the superman covers! 

I do own Timely books and marvel keys but that's only for $$ and my PC if I really wanted it.  

Edited by Matty B

32 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Dark Knight trilogy was lousy?

So many plot holes, dumb situations and ridiculous stuff.  I know I know everyone loves em.  It's just baffling to me.  Heath Ledger Joker laffin while gettin punched silly by kevlar fists-his over acting-ugh-

I do believe DC will have it's day.  The characters are still iconic household names and many of the stories were great. 

They just gotta figure it out. 

Superman, Flash and Wonder Women simply haven't aged well. They feel very old fashion and unrelatable. Heck, that was even true when I was a kid (90s). The only DC books we bought growing up was Miller's Batman. 

But I have faith that things change. Someone will figure out how to properly use these characters on the big screen. 

Maybe this isn't relevant because Marvel has dominated the big screen for multiple decades now, but in the 80s and 90s the Superman movies (Reeves) and Batman movies (Keaton) were big big deals and Marvel was nowhere to be seen. So I do think things will shift, it's just seems to be taking decades for DC to get its act together (other than Batman). 

As for book values, GA DC will continue to do fine. SA will always lack it's Marvel counterparts. And I love BA DC. 

Green Lantern is potentially the most interesting character for a movie.  But boy did they screw the pooch on him.
Here's an old review i did for that suckfest:

One thing I've noticed about DC movies as opposed to Marvel movies is the crowds.  In a Marvel movie the crowd is reacting to what's happening.  In a DC movie the crowd just stands there while a green flying guy you know, shoots magical beams that stop a crashing helicopter and saves a girl from a falling structure with a FORCE FIELD.  Even after the FLYING GREEN GUY shoots skyward, no one says a word.  Also, they're evenly spaced.  It's like the director said, “OK you guys stand here, here, and here” and then forgot about them.

Dumb, man.  No one says, "WHO IS THAT DUDE? HOW CAN HE FLY?" or even, "OMG!" Also, the debut of GL was dumb.  A helicopter starts to crash - heads for the crowd, all this times passes before Green Lantern does something about it.  He watched it all go down, like everyone, but just, I don't know, reached for another drink.

Also we have Sinestro - the GL leader (the guardians don't say or do much of anything-they kinda remind me of Michael Jackson on Propofol. Dumb).  So Sinestro tells Hal how inferior and unworthy he is
‘cause he's human.  If I was Hal I would have quipped, “Hey Goebbels-what's with the racist attitude, man?  Haven't you ever heard of diversity?  Seig Heil, dude.”  

The film plods along with the usual stupidities.  No one recognizes Hal because he's wearing an eye mask.  To test this I bought a same size domino mask and put it on.  I walked around to various friends and acquaintances and guess what - every single one said, “Hey Kav - what's with the mask?”  Dumb.

I also don't like the lantern.  It's obviously a lightweight cheap plastic prop and looks somewhat like a 60's hippie lamp.  Dumb.

Then we have the scene kyped from the original Superman movie where he flies up to Lois Lane I mean Carol Ferris's penthouse.  He even steals Superman's line, 'Are you ok?' And why does everyone in the movies live in penthouses???  I guess Hollywood thinks since they and all their friends live in penthouses, so must the rest of America.  Out of touch, boys?  It bugs me that the average 17 year old can spot these gaffes yet no one on a multimillion dollar movie set can.  Hollywood: I'M AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION!  I'LL WORK FOR FREE!  Christ.

OK finally Carol recognizes it's Hal.  Why it took her 3 minutes of staring to come up with this when my friends didn't even take 1/2 a second is a mystery.  PS can't the actor at least shave if he's gonna be in a multimillion dollar film? These and other questions I have. The beard stubble is distracting.  

Hal's OA Green Lantern mentor explained the mask appears when he's among his own kind so he can go unrecognized. The fact that beings as dumb as this have such powerful weapons scares me.

And the romance scenes really DRAG, man.  They could have just as effectively put up a sign that said 'ROMANCE SCENE HERE" instead of having the 'actors' go through the painful motions of speaking such lame dialogue.

Then there's the scene where Hal's old schoolmate now turned toad-style kung fu lookin’ dude battles Green Lantern. He keeps launching oxygen tanks at Green Lantern and Green Lantern keeps trying to block them with his ring. Of course, several slip past and knock him senseless.  Hey, dummy-just make a friggin force field. Christ.  Then we have to hear the cheesy villain 'Moogie-ha-ha' laugh.  Corny, guys. Weak  characterization.  No one is 100% evil-Hitler liked dogs.  But that's too deep for these writers, no-they went with the formula villain.  In fact this whole movie could have been written by a  computer.  I'm not kidding.  There are actual programs that do this.  So then the villain starts  MONOLOGUING.  Guys-go see The Incredibles.  That movie MOCKED the weak character device pretty effectively.

Then we learn that Hal is AFRAID.  He has the most advanced weapon ever devised and he's AFRAID.  Give me the freaking ring and I'll handle it dude.  I'll defeat the menace because I'll  ATTACK it instead of staring at it with gaping mouth.  Double Christ.  Hollywood-it's not a good sign when a viewer keeps waiting for the movie to be OVER.  But that's how I felt.  And everyone else I talked to.  Even teenagers HATED this movie.  PS the actor that plays Sinestro is great - it's too bad he got pulled into this suckfest.

We also have the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom rip-off where the evil guardian sucks the souls out of his victim's eyeballs. Lame.  The Hal gets half his soul sucked out but he's still ok.  I guess a half-wit can operate with a half-soul.  This movie is a real tragedy it could have been so good-Green Lantern has the most interesting super power.  But Hollywood formula writing prevails and we have a suckfest instead.

Hal lures the creature into the asteroid belt, which is strangely close to Earth, and is chock full of asteroids.  Science note-the actual belt is so sparse if you passed thru it you wouldn't see a single asteroid.  The entire mass of asteroids circling the Sun at a circumference of billions of miles would constitute a small moon.  There's not much there, folks.  Sorry.  If the actual belt was this crowded Earth would be struck so often that no life, not even bacteria, would have time to evolve.

So therefore I am re-naming this movie 'Green Latrine'

9 hours ago, kav said:
 So Sinestro tells Hal how inferior and unworthy he is
‘cause he's human.  If I was Hal I would have quipped, “Hey Goebbels-what's with the racist attitude, man?  Haven't you ever heard of diversity?  Seig Heil, dude.”

The trope here is that in science-fiction, after first contact, humans are quite often treated as dim-witted, inexperienced, backwater rednecks by aliens with advanced civilisations going back countless millennia. True to some extent even with Star Trek.

Edited by Ken Aldred

55 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

What you're missing: DC collectors aren't donkeys who jump on keys just because some social media personality told them to. (:

Sucks for them as I ride my marvel keys to the bank....:baiting: