• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will The Marvel love ever spread to DC?
2 2

91 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BlackTerror98 said:

I am a 22 year old and I have a better connection to superman then I do to batman. Batman is to realistic and not something I can get lost in while superman and the other DC heros are just simply from another world (Not a pun) but like how its impossible to become one of them which makes it interesting to me. If I wanna escape life I grab a superman book. you know? sometimes batman is just to real. 

Here is a question for you... are your 22 year old friends doing the same thing? Meaning, are they reading comics and getting lost in them in general? 

Does superman have greater appeal with your generation? 

My brother in law is 19 and he's a huge spidey fan. My kids are 8 and 3. They love comics,  but that's probably influenced by me lol. Just curious how folks your age view comics. 

eh

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

1960's DC was Lawrence Welk.   1960's Marvel was Rock N' Roll.

I think marvel books (most of them not all) are way over hyped. I have keys from both but marvel always felt as though it was the same thing over and over again with similar characters and events while DC felt like a tv  show that could be from horror all the way to a sitcom you know? I love Avengers, FF and some X-men but daredevil is a lackluster hero, Captain America at the end of the day is lack luster with not many interesting villains besides Dr Doom and redskull. I cant even name any other good villain for them tbh. 

17 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Here is a question for you... are your 22 year old friends doing the same thing? Meaning, are they reading comics and getting lost in them in general? 

Does superman have greater appeal with your generation? 

My brother in law is 19 and he's a huge spidey fan. My kids are 8 and 3. They love comics,  but that's probably influenced by me lol. Just curious how folks your age view comics. 

at my age branch like 22-25 I see more Golden Age Superman, Action Comics collectors then I do batman or detective. In fact, I have one friend who only collects anything with a big banners like More fun, Adventure, Action etc. My close comic book friends in the hobby mainly collect Golden Age superman/ action comics and we as a whole collect the modern superman stories as well (if it is actually good). Do not get me wrong Spiderman is a good character but after a specific age it does not age well. Like after high school for me personally I lost connection with spiderman and felt as though its suck in that age group of 12-18. While superman is just overall (since its so different and impossible) a better character for all ages without feeling well old... my friend had a interesting point regarding that superman is more the fantasy dream that every grown up has with the ability to life, being basically unstoppable, and insanely strong. I work and I dont wanna get lost in a book that reminds me of my actually life. I rather get lost in a book about the extreme impossible over the top stories about space and aliens etc. you know? its hard to explain tbh. its like projecting the weakness of our selves onto a character that is bullet proof is easier for me and my friends then it is to get lost with a teenager dealing with high school drama that I lived through. Comics are the one part of my childhood that remained the same with the struggles of being well not invincible and very vulnerable. DC comics were the staple in my life so I guess thats why I am closer with them then I am too marvel. Also because it reminds me of my grandparents since they lived through WW2 and Korean and how simple life must have been without the phones or internet. They talked about Superman all the time from what I remember saying that it was better then television which is hard to picture now a comic book being more enjoyable then TV. 

Plus Superman was made for people who wanted to escape from the depression and every day life to have a few minutes to feel like nothing can harm them since they are so strong. That is the vibe I get. 

Edited by BlackTerror98

8 minutes ago, BlackTerror98 said:

at my age branch like 22-25 I see more Golden Age Superman, Action Comics collectors then I do batman or detective.

How many people is this sample size?

Edited by SuperBird

9 minutes ago, BlackTerror98 said:

at my age branch like 22-25 I see more Golden Age Superman, Action Comics collectors then I do batman or detective. In fact, I have one friend who only collects anything with a big banners like More fun, Adventure, Action etc. My close comic book friends in the hobby mainly collect Golden Age superman/ action comics and we as a whole collect the modern superman stories as well (if it is actually good). Do not get me wrong Spiderman is a good character but after a specific age it does not age well. Like after high school for me personally I lost connection with spiderman and felt as though its suck in that age group of 12-18. While superman is just overall (since its so different and impossible) a better character for all ages without feeling well old... my friend had a interesting point regarding that superman is more the fantasy dream that every grown up has with the ability to life, being basically unstoppable, and insanely strong. I work and I dont wanna get lost in a book that reminds me of my actually life. I rather get lost in a book about the extreme impossible over the top stories about space and aliens etc. you know? its hard to explain tbh. its like projecting the weakness of our selves onto a character that is bullet proof is easier for me and my friends then it is to get lost with a teenager dealing with high school drama that I lived through. Comics are the one part of my childhood that remained the same with the struggles of being well not invincible and very vulnerable. DC comics were the staple in my life so I guess thats why I am closer with them then I am too marvel. Also because it reminds me of my grandparents since they lived through WW2 and Korean and how simple life must have been without the phones or internet. They talked about Superman all the time from what I remember saying that it was better then television which is hard to picture now a comic book being more enjoyable then TV. 

Plus Superman was made for people who wanted to escape from the depression and every day life to have a few minutes to feel like nothing can harm them since they are so strong. That is the vibe I get. 

Thank you for the thorough response. Just happy to see the hobby is alive and well with the generation coming up behind me.  

I collect WWII superman books because I really appreciate what he symbolized and what he meant to comics. 

But as a reader,  I could never get behind Clark. He was, well, to super. Bigger,  stronger,  faster than everyone else. I mean Lex Luther was a real under dog story! That's who we should have been cheering for lol. 

But again, thank you for the response and keep on reading,  buying and discussing comics!! 

8 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

How many people is this sample size?

It's a good question. I keep hearing kids don't read comics. But every single younger person I know, collects comics!! All of them! 

That includes my two kids (3 and 8), my brother in law (19) and I just met @BlackTerror98. So my sample size is 4 and 100% of them collect comics. 

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

It's a good question. I keep hearing kids don't read comics. But every single younger person I know, collects comics!! All of them! 

That includes my two kids (3 and 8), my brother in law (19) and I just met @BlackTerror98. So my sample size is 4 and 100% of them collect comics. 

They collect them...do they read them?

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I have no doubt that kids collect comics. I just doubt that Superman is more popular than Batman, apart from AC1 and Supes1 being more sought-after than the equivalent Batman books. 

1 hour ago, SuperBird said:

I have no doubt that kids collect comics. I just doubt that Superman is more popular than Batman, apart from AC1 and Supes1 being more sought-after than the equivalent Batman books. 

well a google search shows that Superman is the most popular and most known super heros of all time, while batman and spidey flip flop for second and third. When I first got into comics Superman the tv show just started to maybe thats why kids around my age are closer to superman then batman. 

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-50-most-important-superheroes-ranked/#26

https://heroichollywood.com/superman-spider-man-most-popular-hero-poll/

I have kids between the ages of 17 and 21.  Of the three of them exactly zero have any interest in comics.  They have video games, pokemon, magic, and many other collectibles that speak to them, but not comics.  I even bought a comic for each of the younger two hoping to spark interest.  I bought a New Mutants 98 for my middle son who loves Deadpool and a X-Men 129 for my youngest son who loves Kitty Pryde.  They hung them on their walls for a bit, but then asked me to put them down in my collection.

6 hours ago, BlackTerror98 said:

but daredevil is a lackluster hero, Captain America at the end of the day is lack luster with not many interesting villains besides Dr Doom and redskull. I cant even name any other good villain for them tbh. 

Daredevil-  Kingpin?  Bullseye?  Owl?  Elektra (not villain but a fine antagonist)

Cap-  Zemo?  Crossbones?  all the Hydra goons?  Adolf himself??

Marvel constructed its comic book universe better and then constructed its movie universe better!  DC has been playing catch up ever since Marvel surpassed them in sales.  Continuity, like in early Valiant books, can be a really beautiful thing, which increases the richness of a narrative! I realize that after about twenty years, or much sooner, it's likely to become a millstone too!  The growing up of mainstream comics with Miller and Moore happened at DC, which got a lot of press, (later pressing :wink:), but DC couldn't undo the image we all grew up with of Marvel being the kewl publisher!  I used the term "lad" as one that I remember only seeing once in a Marvel book, Amazing #8, and it was used by Reed Richards(back then, more square than the Cosmic Cube, which I know hadn't been created yet) and Spider-Man mocked it when he repeated it.  How many characters did DC have with the "Lad" appellation?! I know Johnny Storm used the term, "keen", when they dressed up in pirate clothes in Fantastic Four #5, but Marvel quickly adopted a hipper tone to contrast with DC's relative stodginess!  These are small examples, some tongue in cheek, but it's not surprising that the more popular comics then became the more coveted now, especially by people who read them as children and now seek them out as adults! Check out the Teen Brigade now on TikTok!  :wink:

6 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

The part where he doesn't know the location, and which he wants the world to see that Superman is; A. Not all-powerful, or; B. Not all-good.

He SAID he didnt know the location-and Stupidman just believed him.  Even if he actually didnt know, bet he could figger a way to FIND OUT if he was dangling 2 miles in the air with ear ripped off.  Phone records, texts, communications with thugs that could be back tracked and what not-
I mean Batman found her in about 2 seconds and he's not even a hyper genius like Luthor.

Edited by kav

But is good movies really the reason why comics prices jump? 

FF movies were horrible (even the first two) and yet the comic prices held up during those rough years

....maybe DC comics aren't just that as popular as Marvel comics to begin with? hm

Edited by IronMan_Cave

17 hours ago, kav said:

He SAID he didnt know the location-and Stupidman just believed him.  Even if he actually didnt know, bet he could figger a way to FIND OUT if he was dangling 2 miles in the air with ear ripped off.  Phone records, texts, communications with thugs that could be back tracked and what not-
I mean Batman found her in about 2 seconds and he's not even a hyper genius like Luthor.

Huh? Luthor's entire goal is to expose that Superman is either not all-powerful or not all-good. That plan doesn't make Superman "stupid". Luthor wins if Superman kills him. The whole point of Superman's story is to show that he is in fact all-good.

Batman is the world's greatest detective, and has Alfred's assistance.

Edited by Angel of Death