• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will The Marvel love ever spread to DC?
2 2

91 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, IronMan_Cave said:

But is good movies really the reason why comics prices jump? 

FF movies were horrible (even the first two) and yet the comic prices held up during those rough years

....maybe DC comics aren't just that as popular as Marvel comics to begin with? hm

I mean FF #1 was always expensive and when compared to DC keys its not even coming close to the popularity or cost. Popularity in terms of how much the keys increases per year. 2018 $2 Mill for Action Comics #1 and the same copy less than three years later sold for $3.25 Mill Before I got into comics I did not even hear or know about FF or even X-Men. My girlfriend found out about FF and X-Men when we started to date back in 2017.

9 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Huh? Luthor's entire goal is to expose that Superman is either not all-powerful or not all-good. That plan doesn't make Superman "stupid". Luthor wins if Superman kills him. The whole point of Superman's story is to show that he is in fact all-good.

Batman is the world's greatest detective, and has Alfred's assistance.

Superman vs. Luthor is intended to be the defining conflict between human potential and man's baser natures. Superman is not human; he could do whatever he wants without any real consequence because he's effectively a physical god. But he chooses to be human because humanity has the capability for nobility, and he views that as a greater strength than the ability to fly, shoot eye-lasers, and deflect bullets. Superman represents the hope of what we can become. In contrast, Lex Luthor is a "supervillain" with no superpowers whatsoever. He's just a ruthless representation of mankind's capacity for the strong to prey upon the weak, and the influential to turn people against each other. Superman can't kill Luthor because that's not how humanity grows; we have to reject Luthor's worldview of our own free will to defeat him.

It's easy to pigeonhole Superman, but the idea there really is a good one. Unfortunately, it's very much not the idea we've seen in film in the DCEU. Instead, we get a Superman who isn't entirely sure why being good is the right choice, and so ends up inspiring as much fear as he does hope. And that's contrasted by a Lex Luthor who ... is Jesse Eisenberg. :ohnoez:

DC doesn't struggle because their movies are bad. Marvel put out The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor: Dark World, after all, but we forgive them the failures, because it is obvious that they understand the concepts behind their characters. They may not always succeed on screen, but we have faith that they will try. DC's movies, by and large, aren't good, but that's not the root cause of the problem. DC struggles because they don't seem to understand why their characters have been so successful for the last half-century or more. There's no thematic control. No one to say, hey, look, Superman is a character about hope. Wonder Woman tells us that truth and love are powerful weapons. Batman reminds us that when we strike back at the people who have wronged us, it takes discipline not to become them. Instead we get a distant and alien Superman, a brooding and violent Batman, and... a pretty good Wonder Woman for one movie, anyway, and then suddenly not in the second film.

The value of DC properties will pick up if they can start having their characters make sense and hew closer to the concepts that made them great in the first place. Oh, and having at least a couple movies that aren't :censored: would be nice, too.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, Beige said:

Like most of you guys, my jaw continues to drop with each new GPA high recorded on key (and not so key) Marvel books.

Will the frenzy ever jump to DC?

I have to shake my head when some common Marvel keys are selling like hot cakes and at nosebleed prices, when my early Tec's seem to be all but forgotten in the madness.

Will DC ever shine again?

I look at my Tec #36,#38, #58 and #66 plus early Batman keys and think - blimey these are genuine key books, but there appears to be nothing sale-wise on GPA for months.

Are these books, and other DC genuine keys stone cold?

If not, what am I missing, and where?

I love my Tecs, and spent 10 yrs collecting just these 4, so won't be getting rid tomorrow - but one day I will, certainly in the next 10 yrs max.

Is DC dead?

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the future of DC key books (from any age) especially the DC collectors.

Thanks! :foryou:

Are they really cold or just fewer sales because there aren’t as many copies in existence? I check every now and then those Tec books and some other GA keys had a nice up tick especially over the last 5-6 years.

I wish I had kept my Tec’s longer but sold them in college. I had 40, 66, 69, 71, 168 along with a bunch of other Joker covers all in 6.5 to 8.5 except the 40 was a 5.0. 😢 

I did see Comicconnect a 58 and 66 recently.

4 hours ago, BlackTerror98 said:

I mean FF #1 was always expensive and when compared to DC keys its not even coming close to the popularity or cost. Popularity in terms of how much the keys increases per year. 2018 $2 Mill for Action Comics #1 and the same copy less than three years later sold for $3.25 Mill.

Are you really comparing FF#1 and AC#1?  That's your first mistake.  AC#1, 'tec#27, and AF#15 are on a level unto themselves.  Any other title is the next step down on the ladder.

2 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Are they really cold or just fewer sales because there aren’t as many copies in existence? I check every now and then those Tec books and some other GA keys had a nice up tick especially over the last 5-6 years.

I wish I had kept my Tec’s longer but sold them in college. I had 40, 66, 69, 71, 168 along with a bunch of other Joker covers all in 6.5 to 8.5 except the 40 was a 5.0. 😢 

I did see Comicconnect a 58 and 66 recently.

That could be it.

Man, just because it's not in the limelight doesn't mean it aint hot. Some DC books are red hot. But hey, if you want to sell me Hawkman 4, Brave and the Bold 28 or Tec 359 at the prices of 5 years ago, by all means drop me a PM.

Edited by William-James88

I think DC resonates more with young children today. My daughter LOVES DC Superhero Girls - the show, the action figures, everything. I bought her some DC Superhero Girl TPBs, and she reads them non-stop. Familiarity with the characters led her to get into the DC Lego movies, Teen Titans Go!, and now some of the other DC animated properties, like Justice League and Batman: TAS. Now she's interested in reading my Superman and Batman comics. I'm sure she'll like Marvel one day too, but she's not quite old enough yet for Marvel movies, so she's not yet vested in the characters, or interested in the comics. All of her friends are the same way - to young to have been caught up in the Marvel movies wave, and totally invested in DC animation. Whether that eventually translates into increased values for DC comics is anyone's guess.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Are you really comparing FF#1 and AC#1?  That's your first mistake.  AC#1, 'tec#27, and AF#15 are on a level unto themselves.  Any other title is the next step down on the ladder.

What about Marvel Comics #1, Superman #1, Batman #1? ...I think those three should belong in the same tier as AC1, AF15, Tec27

14 minutes ago, Kripsys99 said:

I think DC resonates more with young children today. My daughter LOVES DC Superhero Girls - the show, the action figures, everything. I bought her some DC Superhero Girl TPBs, and she reads them non-stop. Familiarity with the characters led her to get into the DC Lego movies, Teen Titans Go!, and now some of the other DC animated properties, like Justice League and Batman: TAS. Now she's interested in reading my Superman and Batman comics. I'm sure she'll like Marvel one day too, but she's not quite old enough yet for Marvel movies, so she's not yet vested in the characters, or interested in the comics. All of her friends are the same way - to young to have been caught up in the Marvel movies wave, and totally invested in DC animation. Whether that eventually translates into increased values for DC comics is anyone's guess.

I think that's just DC marketing more content to a younger audience.  If I'm comparing comics, DC's material tends to be darker than Marvel's.  Even the art has a grittier feel.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

I think that's just DC marketing more content to a younger audience.  If I'm comparing comics, DC's material tends to be darker than Marvel's.  Even the art has a grittier feel.

Agreed. But I think DC is smart to target a younger audience, and get them familiar with their characters/build brand loyalty. When I was young, X-Men and Spiderman were the main animated series aimed at children my age, so I gravitated in that direction for a long time. DC's animated series aimed at adolescents (Teen Titans, Young Justice) start skewing a little grittier too - I'm sure it's just a function of marketing towards a maturing audience, but it has the practical effect of easing young DC fans into the darker stories which some would argue typify DC comics.

13 hours ago, Qalyar said:

...It's easy to pigeonhole Superman, but the idea there really is a good one. Unfortunately, it's very much not the idea we've seen in film in the DCEU. Instead, we get a Superman who isn't entirely sure why being good is the right choice, and so ends up inspiring as much fear as he does hope. And that's contrasted by a Lex Luthor who ... is Jesse Eisenberg. :ohnoez:

DC doesn't struggle because their movies are bad. Marvel put out The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor: Dark World, after all, but we forgive them the failures, because it is obvious that they understand the concepts behind their characters. They may not always succeed on screen, but we have faith that they will try. DC's movies, by and large, aren't good, but that's not the root cause of the problem. DC struggles because they don't seem to understand why their characters have been so successful for the last half-century or more. There's no thematic control. No one to say, hey, look, Superman is a character about hope. Wonder Woman tells us that truth and love are powerful weapons. Batman reminds us that when we strike back at the people who have wronged us, it takes discipline not to become them. Instead we get a distant and alien Superman, a brooding and violent Batman, and... a pretty good Wonder Woman for one movie, anyway, and then suddenly not in the second film.

The value of DC properties will pick up if they can start having their characters make sense and hew closer to the concepts that made them great in the first place. Oh, and having at least a couple movies that aren't :censored: would be nice, too.

Superman in Worlds of DC was/is a developing character put into a realistic depiction of modern Earth. It shows that, no matter how much good you do on a large scale, there will always be consequences from your choices. If that isn't true, then I'm not sure what is. He doesn't struggle with doing the right thing, as he continues to do the right thing over and over again. Look at Man of Steel: He learns from his parents that he has to keep his true identity a secret. What does he do? Creates X amount of fake identities after he continues to save people on every odd-job he works. BvS? Despite public backlash, he continues to save people and do what he thinks is "right". Ultimately sacrificing his own life to save the world. It's a matter of finding his place on Earth, not his moral compass. He could've killed Luthor, and he could've killed Batman, but he didn't.

Character development matters in movies. DC tried the whole Reeves 'prime' Superman ordeal in 2006. No one cared. It wasn't until they gave him a human upbringing and psyche in Man of Steel that people started to connect with the character. Seemingly everyone was excited to see The Dark Knight Returns adapted into Batman.

"The world only makes sense if you force it to." The majority of people like DC's movies. I would have loved to see the final developments of Cavill's character into the prime Superman that purists love.