• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Declared Value Change After Time?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a bulk submission that was submitted on 12/17 with no progress and was wondering if my declared value for the cards at the time is "grandfathered in". Example: I have a Ultra Prism Lillie that at that time was only going for 60 but now clearly going for 250+. Since it hasn't been graded yet do they go by the value of card once it begins to be graded or is it the value based on time stamp of having been received by CGC? Thank you all in advance.

Brandon

1 hour ago, RhodyRetro said:

Hi all,

I have a bulk submission that was submitted on 12/17 with no progress and was wondering if my declared value for the cards at the time is "grandfathered in". Example: I have a Ultra Prism Lillie that at that time was only going for 60 but now clearly going for 250+. Since it hasn't been graded yet do they go by the value of card once it begins to be graded or is it the value based on time stamp of having been received by CGC? Thank you all in advance.

Brandon

I asked this same question a while back and got no response and feel it should be given a break because they slowed down the bulk speed on tats. I have cards from evolutions that wasn't that expensive until they came out saying its out of print and blew up in price. They should give a pass on that at least since they waited too.long

I don't know about cards, but for comics CGC isn't known for bumping stuff up to higher tiers unless it's egregious. The bigger worry is that, in the unlikely case that something happens to the card at CGC or during return shipping, you aren't getting anything more than the declared value.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't know about cards, but for comics CGC isn't known for bumping stuff up to higher tiers unless it's egregious. The bigger worry is that, in the unlikely case that something happens to the card at CGC or during return shipping, you aren't getting anything more than the declared value.

This. The amount of time it would take them to comp values wouldn't be worth it. Send your cards in for the value you want them to be insured, were they to get lost.

I think some folks are missing the focus of my question. My cards are already submitted and have been sitting in received for the past 4 months. In these past 4 months Pokemon cards have significantly fluctuated in value: some surpassing the bulk pricing of $99 raw. My concern is I don't want to get upcharged for these cards since they've been sitting at CGC for 4 months. I would hop

On 4/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, Sp33dy said:

I asked this same question a while back and got no response and feel it should be given a break because they slowed down the bulk speed on tats. I have cards from evolutions that wasn't that expensive until they came out saying its out of print and blew up in price. They should give a pass on that at least since they waited too.long

My thinking is the same as yours: I would hope that they wouldn't upcharge and as a result of waiting several more months that they would acknowledge that these were cards that fit within this tier and all is well. I just wanted to see of any other people had any different experiences.

52 minutes ago, RhodyRetro said:

I think some folks are missing the focus of my question. My cards are already submitted and have been sitting in received for the past 4 months. In these past 4 months Pokemon cards have significantly fluctuated in value: some surpassing the bulk pricing of $99 raw. My concern is I don't want to get upcharged for these cards since they've been sitting at CGC for 4 months. I would hop

My thinking is the same as yours: I would hope that they wouldn't upcharge and as a result of waiting several more months that they would acknowledge that these were cards that fit within this tier and all is well. I just wanted to see of any other people had any different experiences.

I think it's worse than you think. The Card Value is based on the GRADED card, not the RAW you submitted.

A big part of the reason for this is insurance on the return shipping. When I spoke to CGC, the basic idea is you can opt for lower insurance but you won't get fully covered if something happens.

Roll the Dice if you like, upto you.

There is a member on the boards who recently had a package go missing in the last week due to an issue with... that's right... Fed Ex. 

I would state the value of the cards to be at the price you are unwilling to lose should the package go missing. 

3 hours ago, RhodyRetro said:

I def understood, cgc should go ahead and make a update and let ppl know ahead of time. They should always be able to give some slack since they raised tats over and over 

On 4/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, Ron Churches said:

This. The amount of time it would take them to comp values wouldn't be worth it. Send your cards in for the value you want them to be insured, were they to get lost.

Thank you

Edited by RhodyRetro

On 4/14/2021 at 12:26 AM, Sp33dy said:

I def understood, cgc should go ahead and make a update and let ppl know ahead of time. They should always be able to give some slack since they raised tats over and over 

Yeah you're on the same page as me. Update for me that is good news for you: just received notice that cards went from Received to Scheduled for Grading and all cards are now listed in the system so assuming that they all "passed".

On 4/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, RhodyRetro said:

I think some folks are missing the focus of my question.

???

Like who? Maybe you just aren't capable of understanding?

On 4/12/2021 at 7:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

I don't know about cards, but for comics CGC isn't known for bumping stuff up to higher tiers unless it's egregious.

11 minutes ago, RhodyRetro said:

Yeah you're on the same page as me. Update for me that is good news for you: just received notice that cards went from Received to Scheduled for Grading and all cards are now listed in the system so assuming that they all "passed".

Awesome hope my 12-21 is next 

On 4/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, RhodyRetro said:

Same thing happens with video gaming grading.  After this happened https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/super-mario-bros-game-breaks-auction-record-sells-660k

Someone who sent in the same game for grading is now owe close $1000 insurance.  Instead of using 660k, the grading company actually called dealers for their buy price of the game, dealer quotes were between 75k to 95k.  So the person had to pay the price as if the game is 75k.  

This thread touch on upcharge not exactly what you are asking for, but you can see that the rule enforcement is not entirely straight.