• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do classic books signed by modern celebrities have any value?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I think we're at a point where there should be some amount of sample size out there if you look up ebay sold items.  Depends on the book, the grade, the market, your own cost/profit preferences.

I'd say do your own research and run the numbers against your own risk/cost/financial/collection/profit preferences and see if it works out for you.

6 minutes ago, CardiacKid1 said:

I agree with this. If you are having it signed with an eye toward resale, there is no way I would add a celebrity to a key book.

I was just thinking about it and imagine the uproar if someone had Henry Cavill sign their Action Comics #1.  It's a rarer book, but the principle is still the same.

This to me is an example of a book that is perfect to be signed by a celeb as it is an artistic piece where the celeb themself was the source of inspiration 

9FGhbjEU_1408181625411gpadd.jpg

Likewise, here's another example of a book perfectly suited for celeb signing (in my opinion).

WW26.thumb.jpg.7df4e6cca418e85f96f96a7299e543d8.jpg

19 hours ago, seredynskib said:

Agreed. I would go as far to say it's cringe-worthy to see a classic comic defaced by an actor's signature. The only signatures that are acceptable on Avg 57 in my mind are Roy Thomas & John Buscema and John is no longer with us.

I'm not a signature collector by any means, but there's a case to be made for the other members of the art team. Although for Avengers 57, that's sort of a moot point. The inker was George Klein, but he died relatively young, in 1969. And Sam Rosen did the lettering, but he suffered from mental health issues beginning in the early 1970s and so stayed essentially entirely out of the public eye until his death in 1992. It's impossible to have a yellow label signature from either of them, and I'd be more than a little surprised if either signed very many comics at all (much less this specific issue). There's also a panel on page 3 that was redrawn before publication by artist and colorist Marie Severin, but unfortunately, she isn't with us anymore either, as of 2018.

In any case, personally, I don't support getting important pre-Modern (and especially GA/SA) books signed at all, doubly so for high grade copies (although a 5.5 Avengers 57 isn't that). Having them signed by people unrelated to the book's actual production -- or who, like Bettany in this case -- weren't actually even alive at the time the book released, feels particularly garish.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, ExNihilo said:

+2

My personal preference is that I only want books signed by celebrities in which their likeness is on the cover.

So youre telling me my AF15 signed by tobey maguire is not worth much =(

I would never have a key book signed by any celebrity. I prefer sketch covers (my Avengers book above by Johnny Desjardins and Ash Gonzales :) ) or photo covers for celebrity or actor signatures. I will extend this list to minor books like Battlestar Galactica #1 or Star Trek #1 where I can get any and all cast members to sign.

Edited by Ron C.

18 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

I would never have a key book signed by any celebrity. I prefer sketch covers (my Avengers book above by Johnny Desjardins and Ash Gonzales :) ) or photo covers for celebrity or actor signatures. I will extend this list to minor books like Battlestar Galactica #1 or Star Trek #1 where I can get any and all cast members to sign.

I knew that book had to belong to a boardie when it popped up in Google search.  xD

There’s a high probability you’re asking the wrong crowd. The people in this forum are comic collectors you might get a different answer from a celebrity autograph forum.

Edited by thesink

God no! Even if it seems relatively "safe," like Paul Bettany or whoever signing Avengers 57, I wouldn't completely trust Bettany not to get cancelled or be Jimmy Saville or something. You don't want to end up like the guy with a Detective Comics 359 signed by Jenna Malone.

Had thoughts on Chris Evans signing a Cap America book but decided against is for many of the above reasons. Keeping comic signatures to those related comic creators. And the fact he was charging $300+