• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do classic books signed by modern celebrities have any value?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

What you do is get the movie adaptation books signed by the celebrity. Those books are basically a one shot and actually have something to do with symbiosis. Seems like I remember a Cap 1 being signed by Stan Lee. Perhaps not a 1 but an early, HQ issue. That was the first time I felt resentment toward Stan Lee. And the owner of the book. The right application and those sketches, doodles and sigs look pretty cool. Start drawing all over high grade key issues and it gets my blood up.

"YAH! An' NOW adda Batface cameo to the cover of my 9.6 Bat #227! Oh YAH thass awe-siimmmmme! K, K, now..now adda bat drarwin' in the moon! Hyuuhhhh! Right ON! Now, it'sa giant Bat Signal! GNARLY! Now a drawrin' of Bamman an' Daphne makin' OUT. Hahaha!Hahahaha! SHWEEET! Now, SIGN it like 227 times! I'll come back inna hour. Man. Can't WAIT! I'll be able tuh sellit for thousands Cha-CHING!"

I don't think it depends on the artistic depiction but it does depend on the book itself and the person signing it. 

If Christopher Reeve were still alive would there be an objection to him signing a copy of Action Comics 1,000 ?

Would anyone really object to a copy of Hugh Jackman signing some generic X-Men variant cover with a cool image of Wolverine?

I don't think the book has to be a key but the actor has to be defining enough in the roll that even though he is no longer portraying the character he is thought of 'as' the character when he is mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If Christopher Reeve were still alive would there be an objection to him signing a copy of Action Comics 1,000 ?

Others may cringe, but I personally think it would be awesome to see a Action Comics #1 (original) signed by Christopher Reeves.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Others may cringe, but I personally think it would be awesome to see a Action Comics #1 (original) signed by Christopher Reeves.  

I mean I have to wonder... did Reeve ever attend any cons or sign any books or ANYTHING?  I know he hated being typecast but he had his accident in 95.  Comics were huge during that time period and Superman books were in full focus especially with the Death of Superman story line released in 93. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I mean I have to wonder... did Reeve ever attend any cons or sign any books or ANYTHING?  I know he hated being typecast but he had his accident in 95.  Comics were huge during that time period and Superman books were in full focus especially with the Death of Superman story line released in 93. 

I am not sure if he attended any cons, but know he did sign some things. Not sure if any comics. I do have a few cards signed by him. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I also do have a Superman #1 Masterpiece Edition signed by Noel Neill " Lois Lane "

20210507_194328.thumb.jpg.e3c37eb4a2c0930f3dc473745a639047.jpg

All you need is two people to think something is special (and something that is perhaps one of a kind) in order to get heavy bidding action.

An early Superman signed book by Reeve would be great and maybe not so much if signed by Brandon Routh or Dean Cain. I don't believe Reeve would do a show, different time. 

I have seen George Reeves forgeries on Superman comic pages. One outfit in PA with a terrible reputation cranking them out, as well as bogus Kane sketches, Walt Disney signed comics and quantities of Stan Lee signed comics.

When I bought my first yellow label CGC back in 2008, old school collectors thought I was crazy and I wasted my money on a book they now thought was forever damaged.

Yet again, I was underbidder on an Action Comics #252 CGC that was signed by my future wife Melissa Benoist that sold for about 600 dollars more than unsigned, low grade copies sold for. In that instance, it took two people to think it was awesome on a pricey key.

I used to write Christopher Reeve letters and obtained many signatures in that fashion (cards mostly) only to find out his assistant signed his fan mail. Frowny face.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, xvipah said:

So, you're all saying no to a Benedict Cumberbatch signed ST 110?  :) 

No to any celebrity signature on ST 110.....  although Benedict Cumberbatch does have one of the greatest signatures out there..... hm

5 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Lame having celebs sign books, unless they are actually in character on cover of the book. 

I disagree to an extent. I love celebrity signatures on books (ones that are not all that intrinsically valuable on their own). I try to keep to the theme and timeline of the cover (this Star Trek #1 with original cast), but I can occasionally go off -script and get actors from related series on earlier published books (Lucy Lawless and Katee Sackhoff on Battlestar Galactica 1980). Do what you like and have fun with!

Star Trek SS x4.jpg

BG 1 ssx4 98.jpg

BG 1 Sackhoff.jpg