• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-Men 221
3 3

18 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

flatten that spine 9.4

Yes. I found out that happens in stacks opposite of each other where the stack ends up even. My experience anyway.. I noticed it because I tried it and saw the books were doing that. So I stopped stacking in large numbers

34 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

Yes. I found out that happens in stacks opposite of each other where the stack ends up even. My experience anyway.. I noticed it because I tried it and saw the books were doing that. So I stopped stacking in large numbers

Stacked on top of each other?

This copy has been bagged, boarded, boxed and basement-ed for the past 20+ years. 

1 hour ago, lostboys said:

Stacked on top of each other?

This copy has been bagged, boarded, boxed and basement-ed for the past 20+ years. 

Maybe some other factors come into play.. I really don’t come here to argue. Whatever you did stop doing it if it creates an issue. That’s my school 

I do see some creasing along the spine and right edge of the cover, but I wouldn't call it "moderate". The crease on the right edge looks like a MFG defect, but if CGC doesn't recognize it as common, then they deducted the grade for it.

Did CCS do the pressing? If so, they may have done a poor job. I would not have called this a 9.0+ before pressing, so I could understand the grade if it was sent in directly.

Edit: Did/does this have a spine curl? If so, that could be the answer.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 7/27/2022 at 10:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I do see some creasing along the spine and right edge of the cover, but I wouldn't call it "moderate". The crease on the right edge looks like a MFG defect, but if CGC doesn't recognize it as common, then they deducted the grade for it

I'm late to this game, but I see the same creases about 1/2" from the spine and the outer edge (pretty clear in the N of X-MEN). I'm using a pretty large screen and I've recently noticed that I see defects better here than on my laptop. Depending on the definitions of light and moderate, I can see this as moderate. I think a lot of light creasing isn't going to show up well in posted photographs, where I think we also can be fooled by the size/quality of our displays. I know that I frequently have to check whether a stain is just a smudge on my screen. You can try posting a photo in the holder, but that plastic tends to hide minor defects pretty well. As many people will say, pressing isn't magic, so there are limits to how well any defects are corrected, and the quality of the process could vary.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I do see some creasing along the spine and right edge of the cover, but I wouldn't call it "moderate". The crease on the right edge looks like a MFG defect, but if CGC doesn't recognize it as common, then they deducted the grade for it.

Did CCS do the pressing? If so, they may have done a poor job. I would not have called this a 9.0+ before pressing, so I could understand the grade if it was sent in directly.

Edit: Did/does this have a spine curl? If so, that could be the answer.

Yeah...CCS.

Light spine roll, sure.

No color breaks though and I figured a press would help get it to 9.4 range.

8.0 though? For a book without a major defect that seems harsh.

I've had good luck lately so I'm not too worked up about this book. 

I just wonder if it was even pressed. I'll be able to tell once I get it in hand.

This 3 book sub sat at CCS for a looooong time. So I reached out to CGC. The 3 books then shot through the system at ludicrous speed and a week later they're being shipped.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, lostboys said:

Yeah...CCS.

Light spine roll, sure.

No color breaks though and I figured a press would help get it to 9.4 range.

8.0 though? For a book without a major defect that seems harsh.

I've had good luck lately so I'm not too worked up about this book. 

I just wonder if it was even pressed. I'll be able to tell once I get it in hand.

This 3 book sub sat at CCS for a looooong time. So I reached out to CGC. The 3 books then shot through the system at ludicrous speed and a week later they're being shipped.

If that right-edge defect is a printing crease (cannot be pressed-out), then I could see an amateur giving this an 8.0 after pressing. 2c