John Byrne Xmen
2 2

42 posts in this topic

this is awesome scott! as someone of about the same generation, who also went nuts for that xmen run, i can only imagine the thrill to work on a piece like this, that has so much history to it, not to mention insane detail work. you did a wonderful job being faithful to byrne's original linework while also making it cleaner, something that i don't really think byrne does when he inks himself. the commissioner clearly picked the right inker on this! :golfclap:

It's really nice, great job Scott, especially...

8 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

...being faithful to byrne's original linework while also making it cleaner, something that i don't really think byrne does when he inks himself.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

You guys who follow me on social media might have seen me posting this over the weekend, but this is a very cool John Byrne Xmen piece I was commissioned to ink that I'd like to share. To be able to feel like I was stepping back in time in my head to 1980, a day of future past if you will (: and ink Byrne's classic take on this characters was a real hoot! I've inked Byrne a few times before, but nothing quite this dense. While I wasn't trying to channel Terry Austin on this, I was trying to give some real polish in my own way. The piece is quite large (17x22), and took far tool long to complete, but I had a good time. For anyone not in the know, Byrne is doing his own run of Xmen stories that start up right where his classic run ended, and I think he's got about 20 issues in the can! Pretty wild. Anyway, here ya go...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

Dayum! This is incredible. helluva job inking the Maestro's work, Scott!

2 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I wish byrne would give in and let them publish these books...

If the residuals were higher... just a guess.

So amazing thanks for sharing. Byrne's X-Men run is still one of the greatest Marvel runs of all time. Same with his FF run. Would love to see the X-Men project published someday.

What an incredible work!

It seemed that you have few layers of the artwork.  Pencil on artboard, Ink on Acentne sheet or transparency paper?  Tell us how he processed the artwork?

Very cool!  Great work by both of you -- thanks for sharing!

Dan

great work on this one Scott! I am being sincere when I say I am digging that car tire! There is a lot here but that really caught my eye right away!