• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Human Torch Comics Numbering
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone else think CGC should do away with the whole "#2 (1)" numbering on their labels and just label them as "#1", etc? I mean, I understand the reasoning behind the first few issues being labeled the way they are, but #4 (3) even has "No. 3" on the cover and once a book is slabbed no one's gong to be opening it to look at the indicia...

Anyway. Just my personal preference. If the majority agrees, think we could convince CGC to make the change?

- J

7 minutes ago, marmat said:

Why there is no #1? I always wondered

Human Torch Comics took over the numbering from Red Raven Comics. There is no number on the cover of Human Torch Comics #1 and the indicia (copyright section) on the inside says it is #2. But by issue 3, they had a "3" on the cover even though the indicia has "4". By issue 6 they got everything sorted and 6-38 are all numbered correctly.

- J

On 4/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, MicroJow said:

There is no number on the cover of Human Torch Comics #1 and the indicia (copyright section) on the inside says it is #2. But by issue 3, they had a "3" on the cover even though the indicia has "4".

Yeah, I have one of these early Human Torch issues and for the life of me, can never figure out or remember which one of them I have.  :facepalm:

I always have to go back to the Overstreet guide and look for the one with the lower valuation and sadly, that's the one which I would own.  :(   :pullhair:

Just remember the Summer & Fall numbers for #5; the second is the battle issue with the number prominently displayed...

0c862f4c-347b-40a1-8cb8-45f96c424903_zpsqlxvpqss.jpg.90eaf8db8c2a9b557fdb67f7f0538e9a.jpg

...All the earlier issues through the first number five are one issue earlier than numbered.

Only the fourth issue of (HT #3) includes an actual number on the cover, the rest of the early issues just focus on the quarterly season.

:tink:

Yeah, that's the one that I always get mixed up on and as you know, I would own the non-battle issue that's worth a lot less.  :frown:

Can't really complain that much though since I picked it up in a small grouping of early GA books that averaged out to about $1K a pop and the issue of Human Torch was the only Timely in the bunch and was actually in pretty HG condition.  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Timely said:
9 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Anyone know who owns the Church copy of Human Torch #3(#2) ?

Rose, John jr or Nan.

How in this huge global diverse world of ours would you even know this?  :devil:

Do all of you guys in the grading biz place hidden invisible trackers inside the books and slabs after you grade them?  lol

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

How in this huge global diverse world of ours would you even know this?  :devil:

Do all of you guys in the grading biz place hidden invisible trackers inside the books and slabs after you grade them?  lol

John Verzyl owned practically all the Church Timely's

50 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

John Verzyl owned practically all the Church Timely's

I was just teasing as I believe almost everybody that's been collecting GA books for awhile already knows this.  (thumbsu

On 4/15/2021 at 12:15 AM, lou_fine said:

The old CGC labels from 20 years ago...old style...should command a big premium.  Especially Church copies.  Those are the only comics that haven't been tampered with.