• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collector/Investor seeking advice from the Vets
1 1

120 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

I started buying Schomburg WW2 covers around 2007. I couldn't afford Cap covers but found a bunch of cheap Nedors and Standards. Moved up to a few Young Allies and USA, and before you knew it I had two dozen Caps and an entire box of Schomburgs.  They've all gone up a good deal but not as nuts as newer stuff. Stuff I bought ten years ago for $35-50 now brings $100-$200.  Dollar wise, I'd have done better buying BA keys, but that is life.

I sold all my Schomburg's last year too pay for a big SA key. Which, I'm lucky I did because I would never be able to get that key in today's market. 

Who would have ever thought Schomburg would be considered bargain shopping. 

If I had that money at that age with my current retrospective? I'd be cramming it into a 401k, planning to buy a house, and getting all of the guns and ammo I would ever need.

Sure, I'd spend some on comic books, but they would not be any way, shape, or form of "investment".

2c

I think when it comes to comic collecting, it won't work if its just an investment. If you're looking for investments, I'd talk to a bank advisor and get some mutual funds. I'm 19, similar financial situation to you from the sound of it and my passion for collecting comics is picking up again. What I do is put X amount of money into my savings every month for a down payment on a house someday, pay my insurance and gas on my car and any other monthly expenses I have, then if there's some leftover, I'll look to save up or buy a nice comic. 

That's just my method though, my mom's brought me up with a very save first spend second mindset. I think collecting comics is a roller coaster you gotta pay big bucks to get on, then if you make some nice cash after the ride, sweet, but to me it's about the ride. When it comes to investing my money, I prefer the smooth road.

Just my 2c

10 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

Thanks Exnihilo, Albert, and KCO, for at least constructive advice and opinions. Despite it being a "Newbie" sub forum, I figured I'd get some Gatekeepers spitting out their drinks at the mere sight of someone asking a question! It never ceases to amaze how fast people jump to the conclusion that this youth is so Naïve. "He want's to buy and sell comic books!?! The fool! He probably thinks he'll buy his way to into the Ivy League!" *sips*

No I don't plan on dumping all my assets into comics, or finance a house with comics, or rule and reign on this crumbling planet through comics...

On the other hand, alongside my hobby of selling sneakers, clothing, and collectibles, I'd like to add comics to my side-hustle portfolio since I enjoy them the most. 

So, is it really so challenging to advise a hobby beginner in the "Newbie" forum, what books are historically stable and worth looking into? Or warning about those that could be rising in a bubble during this most perplexing market? If this does provide such a challenge, and the best thing you can think of is a smart remark, then why bother responding? Because this is the internet, and you can say whatever you want, that's why :D

The reason you're finding it hard to get solid advice is your price range. 15k-25k is the "big boy league" of comic collecting. Most people here do not buy a 15k-25k comic in their lifetime (I certainly won't). If dropping 15k-25k is a piece of your side-hustle you're at a very different place in life than 99.9% of people. 

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

People are just being stupid right now.  Buyers are just throwing money at books. I was trying to figure out a fair asking price for a Hulk 180 CGC 6.0. I was thinking I'd see $1,000 out of it but then I see it's double that. Insane. 

I sold an All Select 1 today. It's a great cover but it was sitting in a box . Heavy A restoration and trimmed on three sides. I've had it awhile and was offered $1200 for it last year. I tried to get it into the current MCS auction but missed it by a few days. I decided to list in at a ridiculous price and come down 5% a week and see what happened. Today I got a $5500+ offer on it. I was surprised how quickly I was able to say YES.

I honestly expected to get around $2500-$3000 for it.

I'm tracking an early Atlas and am surprised to see it well over what I expected. Looked at their inventory and bought a copy for $42. The auction ended well north of $150 for a 3.0, and my copy is a 2.5.

The only thing I won was an Adventure 267, second Legion.

I bought a CGC book off these boards last week and thought I might have overpaid. 

Same grade book sold for 45% more tonite.

I'm not sure if it is a great time to buy, but I'm selling into the hottest overall market I've ever seen.

Most BA Batmans don't seem too excited right now: https://www.ebay.com/sch/33808/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=batman&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_pgn=3

15 hours ago, Sky1 said:

2) News stand books, buy them up!  Boomers are all about these because it reminds them of a time when they can go to their grandpa's malt liquor shoppe and buy a coke and a comic for a hay penny.  

er, when I went to Grandpa's malt liquor shoppe I wasn't buying no coke - I was buying malt liquor (shrug)

15 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

Thanks Exnihilo, Albert, and KCO, for at least constructive advice and opinions. Despite it being a "Newbie" sub forum, I figured I'd get some Gatekeepers spitting out their drinks at the mere sight of someone asking a question! It never ceases to amaze how fast people jump to the conclusion that this youth is so Naïve. "He want's to buy and sell comic books!?! The fool! He probably thinks he'll buy his way to into the Ivy League!" *sips*

No I don't plan on dumping all my assets into comics, or finance a house with comics, or rule and reign on this crumbling planet through comics...

On the other hand, alongside my hobby of selling sneakers, clothing, and collectibles, I'd like to add comics to my side-hustle portfolio since I enjoy them the most. 

So, is it really so challenging to advise a hobby beginner in the "Newbie" forum, what books are historically stable and worth looking into? Or warning about those that could be rising in a bubble during this most perplexing market? If this does provide such a challenge, and the best thing you can think of is a smart remark, then why bother responding? Because this is the internet, and you can say whatever you want, that's why :D

No one was really gatekeeping in here although there is plenty of that in these forums, you got lucky & got actual discussions at least so be happy about that.  Did I mention I made a similar topic? lol

As for smart remarks, I remember someone calling me "sad" because I cared for a grade over a sig in a GRADING forum where I am collecting GRADED books, lol.  Although the poster wasn't joking unlike many in here.  Since you got the answers you wanted, it's all in good fun.  I'm saying there is a "humor" award for posts you know, hint hint, wink wink, shake shake :cool:

As far as your point with the thread.  There is no real stability in the market especially when dealing with moderns to give you a solid cut and dry answer.  I was hoping for one too but had to go digging by looking at metrics available online.  Actually I was really hoping to hear, yeah market will go down, just wait it out & buy, lol.  No one will commit to that though.  Anyways, for now try GPA, there's a monthly $11 fee but it will show you the current market trend if you're seriously into buying & selling.

6 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

If I had that money at that age with my current retrospective? I'd be cramming it into a 401k, planning to buy a house, and getting all of the guns and ammo I would ever need.

Sure, I'd spend some on comic books, but they would not be any way, shape, or form of "investment".

2c

5 hours ago, Devin Colman said:

I think when it comes to comic collecting, it won't work if its just an investment. If you're looking for investments, I'd talk to a bank advisor and get some mutual funds. I'm 19, similar financial situation to you from the sound of it and my passion for collecting comics is picking up again. What I do is put X amount of money into my savings every month for a down payment on a house someday, pay my insurance and gas on my car and any other monthly expenses I have, then if there's some leftover, I'll look to save up or buy a nice comic. 

That's just my method though, my mom's brought me up with a very save first spend second mindset. I think collecting comics is a roller coaster you gotta pay big bucks to get on, then if you make some nice cash after the ride, sweet, but to me it's about the ride. When it comes to investing my money, I prefer the smooth road.

Just my 2c

To clear things up and quote Heath's Joker, I used a "very poor choice of words." After reading your replies, it made me wonder myself why I called it an investment when I meant more as something to flip. Everybody's flippin, houses, land, high-fashion, etc. So, I'm  just adding comics (my personal favorite) to the roster and some for mantlepieces of course. Yeah to state comics as an "investment" at my age sounds kinda stupid. Believe me I do plan on blowing up the 401k and am future savings focused. 

Edited by Comic Pingu

37 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

Actually I was really hoping to hear, yeah market will go down, just wait it out & buy, lol.  No one will commit to that though.  Anyways, for now try GPA, there's a monthly $11 fee but it will show you the current market trend if you're seriously into buying & selling.

I can tell you from personal experience, that every time I've bet against comics, I've lived to regret it lol. 

When the Avengers movie first came out,  TOS39 was going crazy. A good friend of mine offered to sell me a beautiful copy of TOS39 for $3500. It was in the 5.0 to 6.0 range and he was giving me a deal because we were buddies. 

Anyway,  I turned it down because I felt the movies drove up the prices and if I held out for a few years I could get it at basement prices... well,  that didn't go well lol. 

This market is very different though. Just a massive run up everywhere. And I'm pretty cautious about it.  It kind of feels like the housing bubble of in 2007 / 2008. 

Now, allot of people will be quick to point out this is different with a ton of valid reasons why.  And I might be telling stories here in 5 years about how there was a time when Hulk 181 was only $12k in 9.0.... but I've chosen to be cautious and go to where the action isn't happening. I just have no idea what to expect next. 

I will say, long term, I'm petty confident keys will be fine.  I just don't know if they'll be half the price or double the price in 6 months.  And collectors run the risk of buying high now out of fear that if they don't buy,  they'll never be able to afford some of these books. 

That's why I say,  buy what you love. Because no-one can guarantee where prices are going,  but if you love FF48, you won't might hanging on to it for awhile. 

23 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

I'm 20yrs old and have been reading and collecting modern series since I was a kid. After listening to my friends endlessly talk stock and crypto currencies, I've decided I'd enter a side profit/flipping realm that I'd really enjoy and have an affinity for. So, I've recently begun collecting some relatively smaller keys (Avengers 8 & 57). I see a lot of big keys are blowing up right now and their FMV's are incredibly exceeding last year alone. So, my main question is, do I buy into an inflated MCU Spec market, or wait for a dip (that may never occur). I have comic knowledge but not so much market history knowledge or the volatility of it.

Disclaimer: No I do not expect to pay my way through life on the backs of books... Just for the fun of collecting the books then eventually selling for some profit. 

Thanks

SILVER AGE SPIDEY VILLAINS....

END OF.

2 hours ago, 1 2 3 4 Thumb War! said:

That was me :acclaim:and you're right, I wasn't joking. Bunch of fanboy poser donkeys posting in that thread :frustrated:

Right on man, not saying I agree with you but admire that you can speak your mind here.  The worst word I'm willing to say is bozo, even that might be too provocative lol

20 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

Got off an auction for $485+fees, if i’m out of my mind please let me know cus I got free returns.

239ECF3D-0134-4ABD-97EF-0FA4A9E9949D.jpeg

4E201A50-582F-456F-857F-018444743AF8.jpeg

Keep in mind at auction you are competing on an item that is being marketed professionally and with a sense of urgency. Heritage, comiclink, comicconnect etc are the best in the business as drawing top dollar for a book, keep in mind that top dollar is what you are paying. Remember there are  thousands of collectors with books you might want, all in different situations. As collectors we might all be great but as business/dealers everyone is not in the same league. When I go after keys I want I will find 5 or 6 copies and make low (but respectable) offers I am comfortable with. Maybe that person wants cash quick to pick up another book or wants the cash for another personal reason. Often none of my offers take but every now and then I can get a book I have been chasing for a long time at a price that does not make me question my purchase. I have paid lowest gpa on some great books in recent years doing this, I have also paid on the top end when I have gotten caught in auctions for a book I really want.

Everyone is happy with their purchases in recent years because prices are up across the board. The more you get used to interacting with individuals’ collectors the better you get at interacting with individual collectors. I have gotten some amazing advice here and other places. You are off to a great start in that regard on this thread. Keep going!

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I can tell you from personal experience, that every time I've bet against comics, I've lived to regret it lol. 

When the Avengers movie first came out,  TOS39 was going crazy. A good friend of mine offered to sell me a beautiful copy of TOS39 for $3500. It was in the 5.0 to 6.0 range and he was giving me a deal because we were buddies. 

Anyway,  I turned it down because I felt the movies drove up the prices and if I held out for a few years I could get it at basement prices... well,  that didn't go well lol. 

This market is very different though. Just a massive run up everywhere. And I'm pretty cautious about it.  It kind of feels like the housing bubble of in 2007 / 2008. 

Now, allot of people will be quick to point out this is different with a ton of valid reasons why.  And I might be telling stories here in 5 years about how there was a time when Hulk 181 was only $12k in 9.0.... but I've chosen to be cautious and go to where the action isn't happening. I just have no idea what to expect next. 

I will say, long term, I'm petty confident keys will be fine.  I just don't know if they'll be half the price or double the price in 6 months.  And collectors run the risk of buying high now out of fear that if they don't buy,  they'll never be able to afford some of these books. 

That's why I say,  buy what you love. Because no-one can guarantee where prices are going,  but if you love FF48, you won't might hanging on to it for awhile. 

If I give you a list to bet against, think you can buy into it to drive prices down? lol

But I'm right there with you & definitely share your pain.  It was asked earlier but where is the money coming from???  Case in point, I go to negotiate for a book on eBay asking for GPA but sellers are all stuck in speculative prices marked up by 50% or more.  Some are willing to budge for $100 or $200 over GPA, but I was still like forget that, I'll get it later cheaper from a seller with decency.  You know what happens?  Someone buys it for their asking price!  No argument, no bargaining, someone looked at the 50% mark up & said ******* great deal, let me at it!  This has happened more than I like, enough times to make me believe for one second there is a conspiracy theory that big Comics are buying each other's books to drive the prices up, lol

So yea, great time to be sellers.  There are alot of people who want to over pay because there's too much money in the economy right now (I guess).  I said overpay because it blows my mind how a book sells for $1800 and two months later it's worth $3500 simply because a seller asked for that.  I guess I can't complain, someone paid that price, in that case that's what the book is worth now for years to come.

I am with the others who said, just buy Silver Age ASMs to start. They are easy to sell, if you need to sell. And they are unlikely to drop in value.

And yeah, don't put more than like 0.1% of your savings in comics.

Edited by adampasz

14 hours ago, adampasz said:

I am with the others who said, just buy Silver Age ASMs to start. They are easy to sell, if you need to sell. And they are unlikely to drop in value.

And yeah, don't put more than like 0.1% of your savings in comics.

He’s already said he’s spending 15k-25k on this “side-hustle”.

let’s pretend he’s already taking your advice. 

.1 * 15,000 = 15,000,000 in savings. 

19 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

To clear things up and quote Heath's Joker, I used a "very poor choice of words." After reading your replies, it made me wonder myself why I called it an investment when I meant more as something to flip. Everybody's flippin, houses, land, high-fashion, etc. So, I'm  just adding comics (my personal favorite) to the roster and some for mantlepieces of course. Yeah to state comics as an "investment" at my age sounds kinda stupid. Believe me I do plan on blowing up the 401k and am future savings focused. 

That's even worse, TBH.