• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist signature inside comic on first page.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I liked the old school inside the book signature. I have happily stumbled across signatures in books that I bought. I am going to have CGC witness a signature and have the creator sign on page 1 instead of the cover. That should confuse them...yellow label, but no visible signature. 

12 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I liked the old school inside the book signature. I have happily stumbled across signatures in books that I bought. I am going to have CGC witness a signature and have the creator sign on page 1 instead of the cover. That should confuse them...yellow label, but no visible signature. 

3204681_Full_Obv.jpg

18 hours ago, Windbreaker said:

Does a artist signature inside a comic on the first page effect the grade and does the signature change the label that you will receive?

In TMNT #1 I don't think anyone would care if it is there. Most were done this way for that issue?

On 4/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, Comicshows said:

That’s the old school way of signing books. Inside bottom underneath indicia is where they usually signed. I remember cons in the 70’s where I would get something signed the artist would flip open the cover. 

That's the way I had mine signed growing up in San Diego and going to the con "when they sold comics." My X-Men 2 and Avengers 4 have that "Stan Lee '88" written on first page note and no affect on grade. 

Always wondered what kind of reaction someone would have given at that time to ask them to sign the cover. Probably would get the ultimate stink eye and an "are you serious!?!?!?"

I've noticed these posts going back to 2021. Curious to hear if CGC has changed their grading related to signatures on the first page in the book.

Grew up collecting comics back in the late 70's and early 80's in Chicago attending those monthly cons (for those of you if you're familiar, the small monthly Cons were located in the Congress Plaza Hotel on south Michigan Ave!!). Just recently started going thru my PC that's been in storage for the last 40-50 years.. Found a few books that I had signed by artists/writers that I want to get submitted... but hesitant that the grading will be impacted. Books are in NM-MINT condition..

Any thoughts on grading impact by CGC?

Thx!! 

On 8/29/2023 at 9:00 PM, Door County Greek said:

I've noticed these posts going back to 2021. Curious to hear if CGC has changed their grading related to signatures on the first page in the book.

Grew up collecting comics back in the late 70's and early 80's in Chicago attending those monthly cons (for those of you if you're familiar, the small monthly Cons were located in the Congress Plaza Hotel on south Michigan Ave!!). Just recently started going thru my PC that's been in storage for the last 40-50 years.. Found a few books that I had signed by artists/writers that I want to get submitted... but hesitant that the grading will be impacted. Books are in NM-MINT condition..

Any thoughts on grading impact by CGC?

Thx!! 

If the sigs are not on the front or back cover they'll still get blue label. I imagine if that long ago that yours are like that?

If on the covers, it'll be green qualified to state the sig is unwitnessed BUT THAT SAID

The green label grade in the corner will ignore the back or front cover signature when assigning grade.

If inside the book? Blue label and won't affect grade either if not intrusive etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Appreciate your feedback!!

Yes the signatures are in the book (first page) as most of us back then never wanted it on the cover as it took away from the look of the book. Even the artists all felt the same way when we asked to sign them ( although John Byrne did sign  my Silver Surfer One-Shot #1 cover across the Surfer's board..  I'll admit it does look cool!!)...

Got me thinkin that getting something slabbed with an artists signature in the book doesn't help when you can't actually see it to show it to someone... I guess at that time the artists that I was lucky enough to meet and talk to were more than keen to sign books for the fans without looking to make a few bucks per signature.. They were just glad to see the people enjoy their work!