• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel title with most valuable #1 and fewest valuable #2 to infinity?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Jonah Hex lasted more issues than Transformers and it’s # 1 & “nobody cares.”

ditto Warlord and Master of King Fu - long 100+ issue runs that nobody cares about outside the first issue.

I have so many issues of Warlord . . . I should re-read them, there must have been a reason I bought so many of them 35 years ago!

4 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

I have so many issues of Warlord . . . I should re-read them, there must have been a reason I bought so many of them 35 years ago!

I re-read the first twenty or so issues about two years ago. I really liked the art but the story didn't hold up well. I remember sticking with that title to the bitter end, and it was really bad. 

Dr Strange. 

On the other side of the street, I'd nominate The Legion of Super-Heroes.  They've been around 62 years and outside of  Adventure 247, there is crickets. I picked up their 2nd app. yesterday for under $100.  The first Super-Hero team of the Silver Age and they get little respect. 

18 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Dr Strange. 

On the other side of the street, I'd nominate The Legion of Super-Heroes.  They've been around 62 years and outside of  Adventure 247, there is crickets. I picked up their 2nd app. yesterday for under $100.  The first Super-Hero team of the Silver Age and they get little respect. 

Yeah - in fact, the Silver/Bronze Age Adventure Comics run is probably deader than the Action Comics run of that era.

Does Adventure Comics # 250 - 400 have any keys whatsoever?

Okay - first Zod at # 283.

Any others?

53 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

Really like Warlord.   Used to have the entire run.  Now, I'm slowly acquiring the run again.  Mike Grell art is awesome.  Like Jon Sable a lot as well.  Now, here's a set you can pick up dirt cheap.

21 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

The OP asked about Marvel, if you start bringing in DC, it is pretty much every title other than Batman/Detective over the past 60 years.

Nice try.

Silver / Bronze Age Green Lantern alone has more (and more significant) keys than a bunch of Marvel titles. Including:

1, 7, 40, 59, 76, 87.

Sure - a lot of this is a natural effect of their being multiple major Green Lanterns, hence multiple first appearance / keys, but beyond that, the Adams/O'Neill run of 76-89 is easily as significant as the BWS run in Conan 1-24 or the Miller Daredevil run in 158-191.

Compare that run to say...iron Man 1-100, Daredevil 1-100 or even Ghost Rider 1-81 or Tomb of Dracula 1-70 -- Green Lantern wins.

And yes - I'm saying that Green Lantern 87 has stronger long-term potential than Tomb of Dracula 10.

9 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Daredevil is a great example. Arguably nothing after #1 is significant until #168. That's a whole lotta nothing for over a decade. This other example isn't exactly what you were asking but Incredible Hulk doesn't have much after issue #1 until you get to #180. Yes, issues 2-6 are still valuable, but they pale in comparison to #1.  That's 178 issues (including TTA) of blah. Your DD example is still better.

Hey wow,you missed a few good one,new costume ,the owl,gladiator,stilltman bullseye was a big hit too,just to mention a few

48 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Star Wars

ROM

GI Joe

Marvel Team-up

Strange Tales (if you're using 110 as the 1)

Hell, even Avengers.

etc.

On a relative basis, most of the Marvel titles are pretty much on par given the OPs premise.

G.I Joe 21 in a 9.8 has commanded more over the last couple of decades than a copy of G.I. Joe 1 in 9.8

Go Collect (I did not renew my GPA subscription) reports #21 at $2800 and #1 at $2000.

Edited by Buzzetta

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

G.I Joe 21 in a 9.8 has commanded more over the last couple of decades than a copy of G.I. Joe 1 in 9.8

Go Collect (I did not renew my GPA subscription) reports #21 at $2800 and #1 at $2000.

That sounds right.  My bad.  I stand by the rest.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always think of wolverine 1988

Maybe issue #1 then not really again till maybe 145?

If that?

I mean out of like 300 issues it has #1 at. $100+ then dwindles sorely till maybe the nabisco at 145, then nothing else, if we were picky we might say the early wolvie hulk cover or wolvie sabertooth or the #75 hologram error,

But that's like 5 minor minor keys out of at least 3-400 issues

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

you and your GI Joe stuff.

12 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Daredevil is a great example. Arguably nothing after #1 is significant until #168. That's a whole lotta nothing for over a decade. This other example isn't exactly what you were asking but Incredible Hulk doesn't have much after issue #1 until you get to #180. Yes, issues 2-6 are still valuable, but they pale in comparison to #1.  That's 178 issues (including TTA) of blah. Your DD example is still better.

131 158.. I guess the red costume