• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 100
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Looks like you may have paid fmv for what it is unslabbed. So you didn’t get took too bad. From what I’ve noticed sellers want that for old books. It’s tough to turn a big profit. My asm 44 I paid 50 bucks for and from the feedback I received I paid around  fmv. So we learn.. I’m still cutting my teeth as well. If you really like it I’d say keep but if you’re in it to make money I’d say get it back. 

Before I make a buy on eBay, I always check out mycomicshop.com  At this moment, they have a slabbed 6.5 for $600. 

It's better looking than the book you bought and has been checked for restoration.  They also charge around $10 for shipping.

MCS is an invaluable tool once you learn the in and outs of their site, and it's free.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Before I make a buy on eBay, I always check out mycomicshop.com  At this moment, they have a slabbed 6.5 for $600. 

It's better looking than the book you bought and has been checked for restoration.  They also charge around $10 for shipping.

MCS is an invaluable tool once you learn the in and outs of their site, and it's free.

Me likey...

No sarcasm here. Unless something is wrong with the book and it has undisclosed problems, you should keep it.  Making the seller take the hit because you may have paid fmv just isn't right.

The main thing about bidding in auctions is having a clear idea of the maximum you would be comfortable in paying and sticking to it.

12 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

No offense but the OP is why I don’t allow returns on my eBay auctions.

Mentioning the returns was a mistake, I never truly intended to return the book. I figured it would soften the blow in case I got bombarded for Over Paying, but realize it was worse to mention I could return it lol. I buy a lot from this seller so I don't play those buy&return games.

Edited by Comic Pingu

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

It's better looking than the book you bought

I'm more than willing to be wrong. But beyond the restoration checks, I don't see how it's that much better looking. If anything I see way more flaws on that 6.5, (wrap around spine, mutiple fractures on upper right corner, numerous chips down the right cover page). However, I will admit I have untrained eyes, and I've never seen the interior so goodness knows how that could be. Nonetheless, please elaborate. 

5757467.jpg

5757470.jpg

Edited by Comic Pingu

8 minutes ago, Comic Pingu said:

I'm more than willing to be wrong. But beyond the restoration checks, I don't see how it's that much better looking. If anything I see way more flaws on that 6.5, (wrap around spine, mutiple fractures on upper right corner, numerous chips down the right cover page). but again I will admit I have untrained eyes. So, please elaborate. 

5757467.jpg

5757470.jpg

I'm sorry to say, but I would have to agree that this is a stronger copy than your addition. The issues are on the back - yours has a strong stain on the left side and more significant tanning on the right hand side - which suggests that there probably will be significant tanning on the inside. 

That said, yours is a nice copy and better than mine :-). Not every deal is going to be a great bargain, but just because the MCS book is a better deal doesn't mean that you didn't get a decent one. 

1 minute ago, Comic Pingu said:

Is there a much of stigma against cbcs compared a cgc gradet? Does cgc tend to be less forgiving when grading? Just some questions floating around my head, thanks. 

Personally (and I emphasize that), I think they are both good and the grades are within margin of error - there are a number of threads about this and some of the restorers have good opinions. The one to watch for is PGX, as they have missed stuff on occasion and some feel them to be lax. You can check ebay sales for some quant metrics - I don't think the gap is very substantial anymore for most grades under 9.8... 

1 hour ago, amatta said:

The one to watch for is PGX, as they have missed stuff on occasion and some feel them to be lax. You can check ebay sales for some quant metrics - I don't think the gap is very substantial anymore for most grades under 9.8... 

Has their operation moved out of their parent's garage???  How about stop being thieves?!  The former is heresay I heard, but some years ago someone detailed their experience how PGX stole their copy of TMNT and replaced it with a reprint hoping they would not notice.  Sorry but just doing that once is enough to sour me from them forever.  Do not care if they changed location, changed their name, got new owners, give out smiley face stickers with their grades...the stigma is stuck with me.  Especially when you have CGC & CBCS.  The latter does not sell as high unless it's a major key from what I have seen.

2 hours ago, amatta said:

I'm sorry to say, but I would have to agree that this is a stronger copy than your addition. The issues are on the back - yours has a strong stain on the left side and more significant tanning on the right hand side - which suggests that there probably will be significant tanning on the inside. 

That said, yours is a nice copy and better than mine :-). Not every deal is going to be a great bargain, but just because the MCS book is a better deal doesn't mean that you didn't get a decent one. 

what about the ugly yellow stain right next to cap's shield on the graded book? the back on the slabbed book looks better, true, but the front should have more weight in the process.

1 hour ago, Comic Pingu said:

Is there a much of stigma against cbcs compared a cgc gradet? Does cgc tend to be less forgiving when grading? Just some questions floating around my head, thanks. 

they're all pretty mushy from 5.5 to 7.5 or so.