• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun Fading Affect on Grading

6 posts in this topic

Bought some comics at a garage sale and they had a circle sticker on the bag, when I took them out you could see they sat in the sun for a while and faded the white except for a small circle you can see on the right.  How much does this fading affect the grade?

Wolverine.jpg

If you bought them for yourself and you’re happy that’s one thing. But if you bought for resale I’d be more more worried about the narrower audience for faded copies than the significant grade drop. I mean, the grade will be what it will be and you can always price it fairly for the corresponding grade number assigned. But I would think the buyer pool is likely smaller for a faded copy versus a same-grade bright copy in most (but not all) cases. 

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

If you bought them for yourself and you’re happy that’s one thing. But if you bought for resale I’d be more more worried about the narrower audience for faded copies than the significant grade drop. I mean, the grade will be what it will be and you can always price it fairly for the corresponding grade number assigned. But I would think the buyer pool is likely smaller for a faded copy versus a same-grade bright copy in most (but not all) cases. 

Thanks for the feedback.  That makes total sense.  I did buy them to sell them last summer and I didn't even realize until I took them out of the bag what happened to them.  I would definitely sell them for a lesser price but you're 100% on point, how many people want a comic that's faded with a white circle even if it is way cheaper than a higher graded copy.

12 minutes ago, Comic_Keith said:

Thanks for the feedback.  That makes total sense.  I did buy them to sell them last summer and I didn't even realize until I took them out of the bag what happened to them.  I would definitely sell them for a lesser price but you're 100% on point, how many people want a comic that's faded with a white circle even if it is way cheaper than a higher graded copy.

I’m sure it’ll find a home. Just may not be worth slabbing, as your potential buyers might be more likely to be those looking for a reading copy.