• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Article on How the Year 1986 Changed Comic Books Forever

46 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'd push the envelope a bit and say the era from 1985-1989 changed comics forever. 

While all the books in the article were essential to the growth of the hobby, The Batman movie was what made comics cool.

The Batman movie was huge.  Everyone at work was talking about it, changing their usernames to bat this and bat that.
Then i went and saw the movie-wut a dud.  Yeah Joker shoots the batplane outta the air with one shot from a gag gun.  Sure.  got it.  Baman's face mask was foam rubber which got ripped off.  Got it.
Dumb dumb dumb.
As was every other bat movie to follow.

The  Bat mask was torn off in Batman Returns, not the 1989 flick.

I love the '89 movie, but the Joker downing the Batplane was a head scratcher. It was supposed to be a joke, but it didn't belong in such a dramatic moment.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

Dumb dumb dumb.
As was every other bat movie to follow.

Field of Dreams was quite good, although it had less super-hero action than the Tim Burton film and was a bit weepy for my tastes.

I was 6 years old and vividly remember the Silver & Red Iron Man and Al Milgrom's HULK run which culminated in the Grey Hulk, who I was unaware of. I turned 7 later that year and had Marvel Saga and was captivated. I remember it vividly, but I remember 1986 for much different reasons than how older fans see it as I was unaware of DKR and Watchmen, etc. 

20 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

In reference to The Dark Knight and The Watchmen:

Best quote of the article.

Those two books changed everything, though not always for the best.  All the comic book writers wanted to do "the next Dark Knight or Watchmen" which meant that they thought making their characters darker and edgier was the trick.  The trick was that they were actually well written.  

Very true! But even so, I'd say widening the tonal range of comics (and their audience) was on balance a good thing. Hell, I was reading and enjoying titles like 'Mazing Man in the same year.

I have said many times I picked the best time to start reading comics : from 1982-1986.  I read a few in the late 70s early 80s but just random issues. Then I stopped from 1986 until 2003 or so....

The only other 2 times that come close/are superior:

1938 to see it all begin and 1961 to read FF 1 off the newsstand!  

I guess you could argue those are better times than the 80s.....but it would be very close.....

23 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

I have said many times I picked the best time to start reading comics : from 1982-1986.  I read a few in the late 70s early 80s but just random issues. Then I stopped from 1986 until 2003 or so....

The only other 2 times that come close/are superior:

1938 to see it all begin and 1961 to read FF 1 off the newsstand!  

I guess you could argue those are better times than the 80s.....but it would be very close.....

Everyone has the comics from their youth that they think measure up well (and many do).  In the late 70's we had Frank Miller on Daredevil and Chris Claremont on the X-Men.