• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Article on How the Year 1986 Changed Comic Books Forever

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

The only thing I take issue with in that article is they forgot to mention that Marvel's New Universe debuted in 1986.  Man, that changed everything.

For Jim Shooter it did!  "The world outside your window", is how it was billed!  After its debut, that's just what they showed him!  :wink:

Here's another article about what else was going on in comics in 1986!

https://www.vulture.com/2016/11/kickers-inc-marvel-football.html#comments

It touches on/off the incident where Jim (Trouble) Shooter was burned in effigy at a backyard barbecue thrown by John (Burn Baby) Byrne!  Burn [sic] denies this however by insisting that they simply put a few too many Kingsfords on the fire!  Ain't that a Kicker's Inc. the head?!  (:

Edited by Coverless 9.8
Punctuation

16 hours ago, Point Five said:

Very true! But even so, I'd say widening the tonal range of comics (and their audience) was on balance a good thing. Hell, I was reading and enjoying titles like 'Mazing Man in the same year.

I agree. And it wasn't until comics did that, we finally saw Hollywood really start to show an interest.

Comics COULD continue to do both, but realistically over the years, the only all-ages titles that really had any staying power was Batman Adventures that only lasted 36 issues.

Comics had to change because they began to see their audience dwindle - movies, cable TV, and then video games kept getting better - and the only two gimmicks that comics could come up with was 'collectibility!' and 'grim/gritty'. In many ways, Comics (sort of, maybe) began the change in media entertainment with Watchmen and Dark Knight (both eventually becoming movies - Watchmen a pretty direct adaptation) - so did the rest of creative media follow that trend? By the early to mid 90's movies had gotten grim and grittier with a new wave of young directors - music had gotten grim and grittier with Grunge, pushing Hair Metal out - and even Network TV (the last bastion of commercial blandness) had gotten a bit grittier with NYPD Blue and ER (having to compete with Cable TV).

Grim and gritty gets a bad name, only because comics did it so badly. The truth is, readers today want a comic that doesn't insult their intelligence. Not sure if Marvel and DC either one can handle that task.

I had already gotten out of comics by '86, but I knew this tone in comics was coming.  Was a very big DD fan back then and when Miller left the title, I pretty much lost interest in the hobby overall.  

On 4/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Eclipse said:

Funny, i started in 1986 and stopped in 2000..lol

you guys are anti matter or perhaps bizzarro versions of one another!

1 hour ago, alexgross.com said:

i gotta say that as big a deal as dark knight was in 86, and it was huge for me, i dont think it would've happened without RONIN to lead the way 2 years earlier. frank miller taking on an artsy, high end story for DC was pretty amazing for my friends and i. it's not the best story, but it pioneered much of miller's stylistic choices for dark knight later, like his innovative panel design, etc. 

Right, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again (DK2) and Dark Knight III: The Master Race would never have happened without The Dark Knight Returns!  I hope it was worth it!  :wink:

2 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

Now I posted By The Time I Get To Phoenix in relation to John Byrne.  I'm not sure why the Parliament, but here's the last of my X-Men songs!  

Burning Jim (Six) Shooter in effigy is funked up!

1 minute ago, kav said:

Burning Jim (Six) Shooter in effigy is funked up!

They even stuffed issues of the New Universe in to the pockets of the high pockets effigy prior to flaming on!  They made those books hot when nothing else could!  Burn [sic] saw to it that it was well done since rare with those books just wasn't an option!  :wink:

5 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

They even stuffed issues of the New Universe in to the pockets of the high pockets effigy prior to flaming on!  They made those books hot when nothing else could!  Burn [sic] saw to it that it was well done since rare with those books just wasn't an option!  :wink:

Even asbesos man couldnt stop their burning rage at ol Jim (Pea) Shooter-