• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Article on How the Year 1986 Changed Comic Books Forever

46 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I finally read Born Again just last week. It was awesome. 

It's my favourite Miller Daredevil story.  And Mazzucchelli's artwork is superb.

I remember 1984 - 1986 more for the Secret Wars and Punisher Limited Series since they got me into collecting more then anything else.  Before that I read some and traded with friends but I remember wanting to have a complete set of both of these series and having a tough time doing it since they kept selling out everywhere.  I bought Watchmen and Dark Knight and few years later and although I liked the art they both went right over my head.  

On 4/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, thunsicker said:

The only thing I take issue with in that article is they forgot to mention that Marvel's New Universe debuted in 1986.  Man, that changed everything.

You might want to read all the way to the end. :gossip:

On 4/13/2021 at 3:03 PM, thunsicker said:

Everyone has the comics from their youth that they think measure up well (and many do).  In the late 70's we had Frank Miller on Daredevil and Chris Claremont on the X-Men.

Exactly.  And Rogers/Austin on Batman.  And Perez on Avengers.  And, starting in 1980, the NTT.  Etc.

That article gets some things wrong.  X-Men had taken over Marvel well before 1986.  That's why we got such spin-offs as Dazzler (1981), New Mutants (1983), Alpha Flight (1983), and at least eight limited series between 1982 and 1985.   And many appearances in other titles.   And, as far as events go, the writer seems to have forgotten MSHCoC (1982) and Secret Wars I (1984) and II (1985).  

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
On 4/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, thunsicker said:

The only thing I take issue with in that article is they forgot to mention that Marvel's New Universe debuted in 1986.  Man, that changed everything.

You might want to read all the way to the end. :gossip:

Read all the way to the end!?!?  Ain't nobody got time for that!