• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GI Joe Marvel art is red hot!!
1 1

63 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

I had my childhood copy of this book available.  It looks like this page was the 1st Roadblock and Duke appearance and they were not on any prior pages in the book.  They introduce themselves to the rest of the Joes on pages that follow.  I was tracking the OA for this page, and thought I had a shot at $3,000 or so.  Shocked it went for over $12,000 even with the 1st appearances.  Great page though.  

You and I must have been battling it out early on.   If that was you, then once I placed a bid to outdo yours, I was immediately beaten and it started to go back and forth within a minute to $8000...   I expected the page to hit around $5000, but like I said above, I know of a couple of collectors that most likely would have done anything to get that page.  One of them is in the vintage GI Joe toy collecting group on facebook so I am wondering if he picked it up. 

5 hours ago, Will_K said:

Out of curiosity, how many of us would take a serious run (i.e. at auction) at an animation cel or animation pencil drawing from Harley Quinn's 1st appearance in BTAS ?? 

I generally have little interest in cels unless they're relatively cheap.  The flaking paint or shrinking cels seems scary.  I can go for a decent animation pencil drawing, again if they're kind of cheap.

It's one of the very reasons that you state that I have picked up a few vintage Mickey pencils rather than the cels.   I am nervous about buying a 80 year old cel.

Also keep in mind that the original art would be considered the pencils from the actual artists assigned to the films while the completed cels were done by the ink and paint departments composed of the women (who were not allowed to be animators) and animation assistants and trainees.  

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

You and I must have been battling it out early on.   If that was you, then once I placed a bid to outdo yours, I was immediately beaten and it started to go back and forth within a minute to $8000...   I expected the page to hit around $5000, but like I said above, I know of a couple of collectors that most likely would have done anything to get that page.  One of them is in the vintage GI Joe toy collecting group on facebook so I am wondering if he picked it up. 

Actually I never did get any bids in. I was tracking with the intent to bid near the end, but bids got too high for me to even participate.  

21 minutes ago, Timely said:

Looks like I’ll have to be happy with the 3 GI Joe covers I have, probably priced out going forward!

That cover benefitted from the Wolverine Snake Eyes tax.  There is another cover out there that the seller wants $8k for a non Snake Eyes cover.  He will probably use the sale to increase the price but no one was buying at $8k so.... yeah... So it definitely depends on the character.  

G.I. Joe, like comics in general, are going to popular within a certain generation and nothing after that. Unless, the moods and definition of patriotism change, it's hard to hock a toyline that is essentially pro-war. If anyone remembers my previous avatar, I'm a big Joe fan, so I'm not trying to bash here. 

As far as the new toyline, Buzzetta hit the nail on the head. I was fortunate enough to grab a 3.75" re-issue of Snake Eyes off the shelf at Wal-Mart only because it had flaws on the card and nobody wanted it. Then it was impossible to find the other and I wasn't going to pay $70 on the after market. I was also underwhelmed by the 6" line. It just wasn't the same magic that I remember.

Early pages from G.I. Joe very hard to come by and you take what you can get. Artist on the book don't matter as much in general, but I'm not a fan of the Marshall Rogers stuff I've seen out there and anything that looks 90s. I was fortunate enough to snag this page from the same issue from the topic at hand from Bechara's art show in November of 2019 before everything went nutso. I thought I had paid the heavy Bechara premium on it back then, but it doesn't sound so stupid now. 

As an aside, an early Trimpe page sold at the last HA signature for about $4,000.

Great pages Buzzetta! Love that Zartan transformation page. I just picked up the convention morphing set figures this week!

I put a watch bid of $1800 on the page but wasn't really a player on it as I already have a couple pages from issue #22. 

I was shocked to see that final price!  Vosburg's art is my least favorite from the early run as I think some of the heads are drawn weird like Roadblock's. I had heard that he hated the art himself for his run on GI Joe.

Also the cover final price! I'm not a fan of the issues in the 100's but do like Trimpe. Still $19k is Zeck cover territory, or it used to be. Glad I got my cover to #25 last year!

14 hours ago, Blastaar said:

How does the first 50 issues of Transformers stack up with GI Joe OA, I would imagine pretty comparable in cost and demand? Both of them are hard to come by. 

About the same, yes. 

23 hours ago, Blastaar said:

How does the first 50 issues of Transformers stack up with GI Joe OA, I would imagine pretty comparable in cost and demand? Both of them are hard to come by. 

Only 2 Transformers covers in my collection.

transformers52cover.jpg

transformers54covera (2).jpg

Edited by Timely

On 4/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, Blastaar said:

I would actually say that there is a lot more demand for the first 50 Joe issues than Transformers and thus prices on Joes are higher.  Pages from the original four issue Transformers mini-series pages stack up against early Joe pages, but the later ones don't.  Same with covers.  

Outside of pages from the mini-series, I haven't seen Transformers pages consistently selling over $2k.  At this point, I'd say most decent Joe pages under issue #30 would sell for $2k+.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:51 PM, Timely said:

This is page 18. Is it their first appearance page in the book or are they on many pages previous to this page?

I actually read that issue this week (I’m reading the Marvel run in order) and yes that’s their very first appearance. They blow the Cobra Plane out of the sky at the funeral for General Flagg and then are introduced to the Joe team. 

Edited by Mephisto

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I guess I never realized how little art Hama did for the series. But if I recall most of the Marvel series was his brain child, correct? 

He scripted most of the issues. Out of the first 25 issues I’ve read he scripted I believe all of them and only did layouts for issue 21.