• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GI Joe Marvel art is red hot!!
1 1

63 posts in this topic

This thread tugged on my nostalgia...Just placed an order for an IDW G.I. JOE: BLACK LABEL with a Hama sketch. I know he’s not the greatest artist in the world but would still be fun to have. Plus don’t think there is a Trimpe one. Let’s just hope I don’t get Mrs. Arbogast. 

Not 80’s Marvel G.I. Joe art, but I had two paintings show up unannounced a few weeks ago. After taking out the first painting my fiancé was not too thrilled...thank god she loved the G.I. Joe painting when I unboxed it. 

image.gif.aedb44d486fb1f8bea1a4033edfa72df.gif

image.gif.2364c43a68982462b3bf3c3b81f11ffd.gif

13 hours ago, Mephisto said:

He scripted most of the issues. Out of the first 25 issues I’ve read he scripted I believe all of them and only did layouts for issue 21. 

Hama drew issues 21 and 26 - two of the best issues in the run.  

Lesser known fact is that he did layouts for all the covers which he provided to other artists.  Strangely, very few of those layouts ever survived.  I’ve only ever seen the layouts to issues 9, 10 and 24.  Anyone seen any others?  

On 4/14/2021 at 8:06 AM, Buzzetta said:

That cover benefitted from the Wolverine Snake Eyes tax.  There is another cover out there that the seller wants $8k for a non Snake Eyes cover.  He will probably use the sale to increase the price but no one was buying at $8k so.... yeah... So it definitely depends on the character.  

I mean it’s also got Storm Shadow on the cover with Snake Eyes so it’s a double whammy. How many covers were they actually on together even if this does feature their later looks.

19 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Where did you see this? I had always heard from Chuck that aka comiconxion that cover never surfaced.

My friend asked me in 2018 or early 2019 if I would be interested in the #1 cover.  The way he remembers it, I passed on it and he sold it to whoever owns it now, but, the reality is that I said I was interested in it, but, he came back to me and told me that his business partner had already offered it to someone else (I wasn't told who, but, it was whoever ended up buying it) and that they had dibs on it. :sorry: 

Edited by delekkerste

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My friend asked me in 2018 or early 2019 if I would be interested in the #1 cover.  The way he remembers it, I passed on it and he sold it to whoever owns it now, but, the reality is that I said I was interested in it, but, he came back to me and told me that his business partner had already offered it to someone else (I wasn't told who, but, it was whoever ended up buying it) and that they had dibs on it. :sorry: 

Yes, but would you have paid the $100k asking price back then?

2 hours ago, Timely said:

Yes, but would you have paid the $100k asking price back then?

I would have tried to negotiate it down if I could, but, I absolutely would have paid $100K for it if the collector with right of first refusal had passed on it. I realized as I was waiting to hear back that, worst case, I could get my money out of it at that price by selling it to Chuck or 1 or 2 other collectors if I had to. But, it would never have come to that.

I'm actually surprised that it only sold for $100K, because my friend wouldn't disclose either the buyer or the final price to me, saying only that he sold it for "a price that I wouldn't have liked".  He was perhaps half-right - I wouldn't have been thrilled by the price, but, I was fully prepared at the time to pay up to $100K for it.*  Even $125K wouldn't have been out of the question, though, more than that and I definitely would have just referred him to Chuck. lol 

*My friend remembers it differently, but, incorrectly, mistaking my wanting to secure the best deal for myself (but, again, I never had a clear shot at it due to the right of first refusal) for lack of willingness to pay up for the cover.

Edited by delekkerste

Anyone seen the cover to Transformers #1?

Hard decision for me know know which is worth more, GI Joe #1 or Transformers #1.

I like the cover art to both, but clearly Transformers have been WAY more popular for the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Hard decision for me know know which is worth more, GI Joe #1 or Transformers #1.

I like the cover art to both, but clearly Transformers have been WAY more popular for the last 15 years.

Gobots for me. ✌️ 

In the early 80s it seemed everyone in my age group at my school was into G.I Joe.  Cartoons, Comics, toys, all of it.  I don't know if the cartoon really holds up well today, but the comics and toys have a big nostalgia factor for many. 

15 hours ago, Bill C said:

I'm blown away by the fact that not only would this go for 100K, but there would be at least 5 buyers at that price point (not doubting you).

I say, without a hint of flippancy, that money has lost all meaning in 2020/21. 

21 hours ago, Timely said:

yeah that's an interesting comparison.    I'd take the TF personally but I also wonder what the market would do.

How much of a drop off do we think there would be between the value of say the TF1 cover versus 3 or 5?

How about drop off for GI Joe 1 cover versus #2 or #3?