• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel title with no valuable issues at all including #1? 😤

79 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, jcjames said:

That's a very high bar, especially in 8.0.

But... your thred, your rulz.

Thor - nothing even remotely valuable anywhere in the series.

I love it!

Thor 126 - 500-whatever.

The only keys I've ever even *thought* about were:

1) # 165 (first Him/Warlock)

2) # 337 (first Beta Ray Bill)

3) # 412 (first New Warriors)

Yah, $1000 as what constitutes "valuable" is an insult to us mere mortals.  If my book is worth over $100 I consider it valuable.  

I like the thought though. I think there should be a qualifier for number of issues too.  Like, a series that went at least 50 issues without any of them being worth anything?  I'm sure I collected a bunch of those in my day....

Alpha Flight anyone?

893349.jpg

Edited by Axelrod

6 minutes ago, Axelrod said:

Yah, $1000 as what constitutes "valuable" is an insult to us mere mortals.  If my book is worth over $100 I consider it valuable.  

I like the thought though. I think there should be a qualifier for number of issues too.  Like, a series that went at least 50 issues without any of them being worth anything?  I'm sure I collected a bunch of those in my day....

Alpha Flight anyone?

893349.jpg

Hah!

30 years ago I *always* used to put Alpha Flight in this category. But it's got:

• 33 - first Lady Deathstrike
  • 51 - first Jim Lee Marvel art
  • 106 -- Northstar comes out.

See also West Coast Avengers. Keyless wonder at 101 issues.

But now there's 1) 45 - first white Vision on the heels of WandaVision - last 9.8 sold for $1,950 (!!)

and 2) rumors of a future Disney+ show.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I'm not sure it is a great cut-off. I know, in the real world $1000 isn't anything. I get it. Just 3 weeks take home pay for your typical minimum wage worker. Or a crappy used car. Or a month's rent in a lot of places.

48 minutes ago, Axelrod said:

Nice to read some down-to-Earth comments like these for a change.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I love it!

Thor 126 - 500-whatever.

The only keys I've ever even *thought* about were:

1) # 165 (first Him/Warlock)

2) # 337 (first Beta Ray Bill)

3) # 412 (first New Warriors)

none of those hit it in the 8.0 criteria anyway

Thor 126 and 134 have gone over $1K in mere 9.0

Thor 225 is nearly $2K in 9.8

Thor 339 is $1000 :bigsmile:

14 hours ago, littledoom said:

The last issue is htf and sells for decent amounts 

I've got the full run, but none of them are slated for grading.  Lol.

16 hours ago, kav said:

Marvel team Up
Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider Man
Champions
Marvel 2 in 1
Marvel's Greatest Comics

I'm keeping an eye on Marvel Two-In-One #41...Brother Voodoo appearance.  

14 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Oh, and let's not forget Sweet XVI - there is a single copy of #1 in the census and zero recorded sales.

image.png.e864eb09c9649539ea2e1a413005356b.png

A series that lasted 6 issues and a "Back to School Special" .. who was buying this??  Someone just bought a complete set for $25 though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-Sweet-sixteen-Comic-Lot-Back-To-School-Special/283870050151?hash=item4217f93767:g:9YcAAOSwtyxeqzWn

Marvel thought it would be an good idea to do a comic series about the hijinx of ancient roman teens? And it sold enough to get past issue 3? Or did they promise the creator they'd publish the whole thing?

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

A series that lasted 6 issues and a "Back to School Special" .. who was buying this??  Someone just bought a complete set for $25 though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-Sweet-sixteen-Comic-Lot-Back-To-School-Special/283870050151?hash=item4217f93767:g:9YcAAOSwtyxeqzWn

Marvel thought it would be an good idea to do a comic series about the hijinx of ancient roman teens? And it sold enough to get past issue 3? Or did they promise the creator they'd publish the whole thing?

Looking at the Grand Comics Database, it says that issue #3 had a "Full-page illustration asking for letters."  I guess they didn't get much fan mail.

9 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Looking at the Grand Comics Database, it says that issue #3 had a "Full-page illustration asking for letters."  I guess they didn't get much fan mail.

But seriously, I think there were super hero (or at least sort of in marvel continuity) comics that did not last 7 issues.  Slapstick only lasted 4 issues. Is it really the case of comic shops ordering anything marvel until they realize nobody is buying it?

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

1991 Marvel made a lot of dubious decisions. My only real surprise is that this wasn't foisted off on the Epic imprint with the rest of the irredeemables (Car Warriors, Captain Confederacy, Hollywood Superstars, Samurai Cat...).

But then again, there's Suburban Jersey Ninja She-Devils that year. And NFL Superpro, so....

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

How about what's likely the most obscure Marvel debut of 1990?

I give you: Street Poet Ray # 1. The series lasted four issues.

Street Poet Ray # 1.jpg

Yeah, I never understood why they thought this was a good idea. Street Poet Ray was a very "B&W indie" B&W indie, with two issues published by Blackthorne in the late '80s. Blackthorne was a hit or miss indie house; in my social circle, they're best known for having done a bunch of Battletech comics in the '80s. For everyone else, um, you probably know them as the publishers of blatant TMNT spoof/knockoff Pre-Teen Dirty-Gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos. In any case, Street Poet Ray was... at least in my opinion, a long way from their best work. Marvel apparently decided that they just had to get in on that sweet B&W indie pie, so they picked this to license (I assume because it was cheap to do so), and more or less just let Michael Redmond and Junko Hosizawa keep doing the same thing they were doing at Blackthorne, only with a bigger-name publisher's icon on the covers.

The rumor has always been that this was one of Marvel's all-time worst-selling books. I have no reason to doubt that. For my part, I just find it largely incomprehensible, both in terms of content and business decision-making. Normally, I'd say that weird stuff like this is probably hard to find in high grade, but I promise that most copies weren't read more than once, so that might be an exception.

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

That's a very high bar, especially in 8.0.

But... your thred, your rulz.

Thor - nothing even remotely valuable anywhere in the series.

I picked $1000 in 8.0 to weed out all the books that are like 200-900 in 9.8.  Hell even lois lane is in that range in 9.8.  So would every SA Dare Devil, for example.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I picked $1000 in 8.0 to weed out all the books that are like 200-900 in 9.8.  Hell even lois lane is in that range in 9.8.  So would every SA Dare Devil, for example.

But like...as mentioned earlier, at $1,000 for an 8.0, no issue of Ghost Rider, Defenders, or even Conan qualifies.

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

But like...as mentioned earlier, at $1,000 for an 8.0, no issue of Ghost Rider, Defenders, or even Conan qualifies.

I dont think they qualify.