• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weiss Auction ending 4/14/21
2 2

34 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

I was able to snag a couple of graded books, but agree the prices are mostly through the roof on most of the lots, not to mention the 20% BP.  I wouldn't touch the raw books at some of those prices. There were some neat PCH you don't see every day up for grabs.  The chamber of chills 19 was SWEET!

I won the Marvel Tales 116 in 7.0 (slabbed by the other grading company). After buyer's premium, it wasn't a great deal, but I will live.

49 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Between the House of Secrets 92 and MS5, it might be fair. Longshot, but if the MS2 is high grade, it could be a reasonably good deal. Such is today's crazy market, but those three books in nice enough shape could justify the number. Don't know that I would have had the confidence from those pix alone, but maybe the lot was viewed in person by the winner?

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wow.....I can get half of those out of the $2.00 box at my local auction house (they have a small retail area too).  Not sure how they came up with that mix...lol.  A couple good books, a few decent books but the rest appear to be nothing special by any stretch of the imagination.  $5,000??  What were they thinking.  (shrug)

Edited by mcribar
Typo

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Not to me. What book in that lot justifies that extreme price? I see an ASM #252, first Superman/Flash race, and HoS #92. MAYBE, if those three books are all 9.8, it MIGHT justify the price. But from what I can see, they seem to be in mid-grade condition.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Between the House of Secrets 92 and MS5, it might be fair. Longshot, but if the MS2 is high grade, it could be a reasonably good deal. Such is today's crazy market, but those three books in nice enough shape could justify the number. Don't know that I would have had the confidence from those pix alone, but maybe the lot was viewed in person by the winner?

I previewed the lot... I had the MS5 at 4.5/5.0 and the HOS92 at 3.0/3.5.  I valued the whole lot at $3200 (graded).  So the ending price to me is crazy.  Think it's the MS5 that got a few people over excited.

As far as the PCH goes, it was a very nice original owner collection in solid mid-grade condition (with some better and some worse)... BUT most issues had rusty staples...many of them with severe rust... which limits their "upgrade-ability".  The large run lots (JIM, Strange Tales, Uncanny Tales, etc) went substantially over recent market prices based on the grades I assigned, and that's without even considering the buyers premium and grading fees.  Looked like mostly two buyers that got the lions share of these... they were clearly factoring in a continuation of the recent market explosion.  

17 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

I previewed the lot... I had the MS5 at 4.5/5.0 and the HOS92 at 3.0/3.5.  I valued the whole lot at $3200 (graded).  So the ending price to me is crazy.  Think it's the MS5 that got a few people over excited.

As far as the PCH goes, it was a very nice original owner collection in solid mid-grade condition (with some better and some worse)... BUT most issues had rusty staples...many of them with severe rust... which limits their "upgrade-ability".  The large run lots (JIM, Strange Tales, Uncanny Tales, etc) went substantially over recent market prices based on the grades I assigned, and that's without even considering the buyers premium and grading fees.  Looked like mostly two buyers that got the lions share of these... they were clearly factoring in a continuation of the recent market explosion.  

There we have it! I would not have been confident from those pix; I was just speculating on how someone could have justified it. The mix of books in better grades than you are reporting from first-hand review could reach that number, but your having seen them blows that theory out of the water as a possibility. I can’t imagine how someone talked himself into all those “if’s” breaking right just from those pix. Crazy.

I used to bid/purchase the books from Weiss Auction for about 7 years however, it becomes more difficult and unpredictable since 2015.  The earliest was better and great price even the conditions were better but today, it gets frustrated. Most books were not in great shape and overpriced. I don't understand why those people threw so much money without seeing the actual books. I haven't won a single lot 2017.

Edited by JollyComics