• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collected on insurance for comics damaged in the mail?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

So since joining Cgc only a couple of years ago, I have attempted twice to send in a shipment of comics to be graded. Both times with Canada post, both times insured, both times resulting in severe damage to the package and both times inflicting light damage to the comic books. 

Both shipments were successfully delivered to CGC and refused/returned to me due to visible damage on the outside of the boxes. They were very well packaged and protected both times. 

For the first shipment sent in June 2020, I under-insured the 3-pack of comics at $500CAD and was able to collect it all(with a fight) with the argument that the comics had suffered $500 in damage and that I should also be able to keep them. 
Fast forward to February 2021 and I send the same 3 comics, adding another, and doubling the insurance to $1000, yet still under-insured. 

My question is, have any of you had any experience with damage to insured comic books? I was able to get a fair decision the first time around but it is difficult to explain to people outside of the hobby that a minor tick or tear can devalue a comic by hundreds or thousands of dollars.
In this case, a comic that I estimate somewhere between a 9.4-9.6 had the cover tear a little at one of the staples. To the untrained eye, it’s so insignificant but you guys all know that that comic is now at 9.2 tops with everything else perfect. 

I want compensation for the damage without giving up the comics. Any advice for getting lightning to strike twice for me? 

AFAIK, You are not supposed to get to keep the comics if you are trying to collect insurance on them from postal insurance. You got lucky the first time. At least that's how it works with usps in the states. U try to claim insurance, the post manager at the po has to inspect and hold the comics and packing contents until a claim is decided. If decided in your favor, usps keeps the comics and if determined to still hold value, sends them to a regional warehouse where they are auctioned off to help offset the cost of the insurance payout. If they decide against you, you get to keep the comics.

6 hours ago, justafan said:

AFAIK, You are not supposed to get to keep the comics if you are trying to collect insurance on them from postal insurance. You got lucky the first time. At least that's how it works with usps in the states. U try to claim insurance, the post manager at the po has to inspect and hold the comics and packing contents until a claim is decided. If decided in your favor, usps keeps the comics and if determined to still hold value, sends them to a regional warehouse where they are auctioned off to help offset the cost of the insurance payout. If they decide against you, you get to keep the comics.

I'm not sure where you got this info, but what you say is not always the case. I had a comic damaged via USPS, filed a claim online, got a payout and kept the comic. I never stepped foot into the post office, and never had anybody inspect anything other than the pictures I provided online of both the box, packaging, proof of purchase price, and damaged comic.

When the OP says "They were very well packaged and protected both times." I am not sure what that means. How about a picture?  Books are liable to get damaged in shipping if not packed carefully. I recommend double-boxing if not triple-boxing on stuff you really want to be safe. 

I had a USPS Priority mail, double-boxed, CGC book sustain heavy damage to the box resulting in a cracked case. Fortunately, the book was not damaged and only needed a reholder. I think USPS paid the insurance without me having to go into the Post Office or surrender the book.

Looked something like below:

If USPS made it too easy to claim compensation from damaged mail, that would open them up for excessive fraudulent claims

2009728029_USPSdamage.thumb.jpg.300ff35e07036904eb4fa6b87a15425c.jpg

Here are some pictures of the box upon its return. I pretty much followed a Cgc video on “how to pack your submissions”... comics between cardboard and taped, then added an extra layer of protection and had a friend fashion me 2 thick pieces of plywood to put on each side of cardboard surrounding the comics. I then wrapped the comics, cardboard, and plywood in bubble wrap. 
I then placed that package in a box and enveloped all of the empty space with more bubble wrap and air pockets. 

CC48ED38-B08F-409F-8810-38AAB361D2A5.jpeg

712D9BE0-00C7-4C84-A2CC-66D5F9823557.jpeg

529F0F8A-C95B-41DE-BD9F-FF983A963DDE.jpeg

64CE0FCF-B856-42F5-9A13-A0825EC2E12A.jpeg

95C22973-32B6-4603-9434-BD34642E863D.jpeg

235D5095-DCEE-412C-BD13-39371CB820E4.jpeg

1095C42E-1154-4BE0-978C-4560E4D95923.jpeg

7E6B3088-E856-40A7-8094-CC1CAF9FDD16.jpeg

Typically Can’t use cheaper, paper thin boxes that don’t withstand basic crush tests. Need a 275 pound double wall box to safely ship these days. 
same with priority box. Too flimsy and week for comics generally 

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Typically Can’t use cheaper, paper thin boxes that don’t withstand basic crush tests. Need a 275 pound double wall box to safely ship these days. 
same with priority box. Too flimsy and week for comics generally 

amen! i wont even buy books from sellers that use usps these days. it's gotta be fedex, not that they are perfect either. but their boxes are around 5 times sturdier than the piece of garbage paper thin priority boxes that way too many sellers use.

as for @jharvey's statement, it is totally at the discretion of usps as to whether or not you have to bring the damaged item in for inspection or surrender. i had a fine art print that i shipped to a customer completely crushed by usps. he took great pictures for the claim i filed. they decided, after an obscenely long time, that he would have to bring it in and leave it with them. other claims i have made before had no such requirement. btw fedex paid me in 2 weeks on my last claim. that usps case where i had to provide the item in question took over 5 months, and an appeal, before being paid.