• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the grade matter on a sketch cover book?
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Like, for instance, there are 2 cgc'd books with both with a sketch from Todd Mcfarlane of Spidey, same amount of detail on both. They are on blank sketch cover variants. One is a 9.0, the other a 9.8

Will anyone care at all about the grading on these books? Would this impact the price of the book?

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Like, for instance, there are 2 cgc'd books with both with a sketch from Todd Mcfarlane of Spidey, same amount of detail on both. They are on blank sketch cover variants. One is a 9.0, the other a 9.8

Will anyone care at all about the grading on these books? Would this impact the price of the book?

Given that specific choice at the same price, you would think that a buyer would choose the 9.8 100% of the time.  If they have both to choose from, that is.  If sold separately, and the comic itself is not the "prize", the prices might be similar.

32 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Given that specific choice at the same price, you would think that a buyer would choose the 9.8 100% of the time.  If they have both to choose from, that is.  If sold separately, and the comic itself is not the "prize", the prices might be similar.

Yeah, I meant more like one comes on the market, and then another, I'd assume they end up at the similar prices. Or hell, have both go on auction at the same time and I don't think there will be that much of a difference in price when the hammer falls.

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, and yes.

Can obviously only speak for myself... for moderns at least, because someone chose to put the (witnessed) sketch on a comic book and then get it graded, I personally DO think that the grade matters.  I might completely pass on a 9.6 while being willing to pay up for the 9.8.

For me the same is also true for Signature Series books with just signatures, at least for modern books.  Older books grade isn't as much of a big deal to me if the signature/sketch (person signing) makes sense with the book.  Even then though, the higher the grade the better IMO.

If they are the same or similar sketch then the decision goes to the grade.

BUT... 

Book 1 - McFarlane recreates Spider-man 1 or ASM 300 on your sketch cover and it comes back a 9.4.

Book 2 - McFarlane draws a circle with the Spider-man eyes and webbing on your sketch cover like a Spider-signal and it comes back a 9.8.

Book 1 all the way, every day, every which way till Sunday.   Spider-man 1 recreation in 9.4 > Circle with Spider-man eyes on a 9.8.

57 minutes ago, Avi said:

To me the grade matters more depending on what type of "sketch" it is. Grade consideration importance from least to most for me is - Sketch vs Remarque vs Doodle

I was specifically thinking of those blank sketch covers. A remark is only a remark if it's on a non blank cover, no?

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I was specifically thinking of those blank sketch covers. A remark is only a remark if it's on a non blank cover, no?

True. Personally I would also consider any small finished looking art on a cover, sketch cover included, a remark.

20 minutes ago, D2 said:

Sadly, 9.8 will be more desired and will heighten a sketch cover's value over a superior 9.6 sketch by the same artist.

This surprises me so much. Most blank covers are of books that don't really have any worth themselves, in any grade, so I always felt the sketch covers only existed so that you'd have a way of certifying a sketch through CGC (before that was an actual thing) and thus the grade wouldn't matter. I know it doesn't matter to me but I thought I wasn't a minority on this. 

Edited by William-James88

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

This surprises me so much, I always felt the sketch covers only existed so that you'd have a way of certifying a sketch through CGC (before that was an actual thing) and thus the grade wouldn't matter. I know it doesn't matter to me but I thought I wasn't a minority on this.

I think it boils down to the type of collector.

For you, you are a sketch/artist collector/supporter. Much like even myself where I hadn't bothered to even get sketches graded and submitted, I just kept them raw because I wanted the sketch!

But I feel like the majority of collectors are either, inexperienced, or speculators. Maybe not a vast majority? I don't know, but my feeling is that the perceived value on CGC grades of books in the last year or so have really changed the game on the hobby... sketch covers included.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That is what i think too,blank cover with a full sketch is unique and should be treated like an original art,some are messy cut corner and all but its one of a kind,of course blank cover is modern age for me 9.2 or 9.8 does not matter for an authentic sketch .it is still one of a kind,well in most cases lol .