• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoCollect AF15 sales.....
2 2

11 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Comcasthawk said:

GoCollect has an AF15 in 6.0 recent sale at $98,000.   Can anyone verify this??   That is one huge jump from a price hovering around $60,000.   Thoughts.......

You must be unaware of the recent Heritage auction AF15 6.0 that went for 96K two weeks ago (4/1)?   AF15 has been up in many grades.  GPA also lists a 2.5 this month for over $25K, a 3.0 for $30K in March, a 4.0 this month for $46K.  So not a huge bump based on recent sales across many grades, and the $46K for a 4.0 actually suggests that a 6.0 is due for more significant gains.  A 6.0 has  historically been between two to three times the valuation of a 4.0 going back to 2010.   And there were additional  recent lofty valuations (I don't recall for which grades) that were not recorded by GPA because they were on ComicLink.   As for the specific $98K referenced in GoCollect...that would be another approx $100K for a 6.0 then.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Comcasthawk said:

GoCollect has an AF15 in 6.0 recent sale at $98,000.   Can anyone verify this??   That is one huge jump from a price hovering around $60,000.   Thoughts.......

i dont know what that is, but @Pantodudeis correct, there was a heritage sale april 1st for 96k. 

the increase in sales price for most key books from last november until now are enormous and unprecedented in this field. many books have appreciated 3-5x in 4 months. compared to that, af15's increase in all grades appears measured.

3 hours ago, Comcasthawk said:

Is GoCollect a good place to get the information on sales and book values??    

i used to use it exclusively. however a few months back they were really having problems adding results in a timely manner. gpa seems to be more on top of that. however gpa does not use comiclink results, which can be significant. ideally one should use both. 

17 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

i used to use it exclusively. however a few months back they were really having problems adding results in a timely manner. gpa seems to be more on top of that. however gpa does not use comiclink results, which can be significant. ideally one should use both. 

How is GoCollect accessing data from ComicLink? I thought ComicLink considered their sales data to be proprietary.

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

How is GoCollect accessing data from ComicLink? I thought ComicLink considered their sales data to be proprietary.

gocollect provides links to the direct cl page where you can only see the final price by logging in, so only registered cl users can actually see the final hammer price. this seems to be their workaround, but they are not actually displaying the results. though i believe the CL numbers are also factored into their FMV.

8 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

gocollect provides links to the direct cl page where you can only see the final price by logging in, so only registered cl users can actually see the final hammer price. this seems to be their workaround, but they are not actually displaying the results. though i believe the CL numbers are also factored into their FMV.

The reason gocollect can do it and gpa can’t, which also explains the delays, is because gocollect uses humans to update their data...not an API. Or at least, that’s my understanding...

Edited by Callaway29

I have a GoCollect question.  I was looking at prices today and saw that their price guide prices were wildly higher than the actual sales they were using.  I know that when there are very few sales, it’s hard to draw conclusions as to their values, but when there are actual sales, you should use them as the value, and not calculate a price derived from say a 9.8 and a 4.0 and build a curve from them.  Real work]d sales ARE real world values until more data comes in.  Anybody have any insight into this?  Sorry I don’t recall which title it was , so sorry that important info is missing in my question... 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:09 AM, Aman619 said:

I have a GoCollect question.  I was looking at prices today and saw that their price guide prices were wildly higher than the actual sales they were using.  I know that when there are very few sales, it’s hard to draw conclusions as to their values, but when there are actual sales, you should use them as the value, and not calculate a price derived from say a 9.8 and a 4.0 and build a curve from them.  Real work]d sales ARE real world values until more data comes in.  Anybody have any insight into this?  Sorry I don’t recall which title it was , so sorry that important info is missing in my question... 

I can help a little here :) Generally, we do not post FMV data if there is not enough data to pull from. We do, however, use the sales of some grades to factor in the estimations of grades that haven't sold recently. For example, there are Golden Age comics that may have quite a few recent sales for lower grades while very few higher grades have recently sold. If we have enough stable data, we can use those lower sales and apply an algorithm based on similar books with more data to provide an estimation of the higher grades that may not have data on them yet. So if 3.0's - .5's stably climb in value which causes the 3.0-.5's FMV to rise, statistically, that's going to make a 9.0 a certain amount more valuable so that would be reflected in the estimated FMV. Typically, if there is no sales data for a grade, but we formulated and estimated FMV, it will be marked. 

5 hours ago, Cassaundra said:
On 4/21/2021 at 12:09 AM, Aman619 said:

I can help a little here :) Generally, we do not post FMV data if there is not enough data to pull from. We do, however, use the sales of some grades to factor in the estimations of grades that haven't sold recently. For example, there are Golden Age comics that may have quite a few recent sales for lower grades while very few higher grades have recently sold. If we have enough stable data, we can use those lower sales and apply an algorithm based on similar books with more data to provide an estimation of the higher grades that may not have data on them yet. So if 3.0's - .5's stably climb in value which causes the 3.0-.5's FMV to rise, statistically, that's going to make a 9.0 a certain amount more valuable so that would be reflected in the estimated FMV. Typically, if there is no sales data for a grade, but we formulated and estimated FMV, it will be marked. 

All fair points, but I think that in some cases the extrapolation is unrealistic and as someone who keeps a close watch on the market, this is an important point to raise.

Interestingly enough, there was a SA non-key listed at $1.3MIL in 9.8 but that has now been adjusted down to $850K - still an unrealistically high number IMO ??? because the book would NEVER sell at that number even in this current market as far as I'm concerned.

The other problem I'm seeing is that in this new market, even though there is no pricing history for some books people are now unrealistically valuing their books at the prices these algorithms post.

And what is happening is that people's expectations for some books are rising faster than the market is, based solely on this speculation alone.

Edited by VintageComics