• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Submission - Need Help

10 posts in this topic

This is going to be the first time I submit some books to be graded and would like some advise. Here are the ten books i'm going to be sending:

Amazing Spider-Man #238 & 300

Captain Marvel (Vol.8) #14

Incredible Hulk #340

New Mutants #87 & 98

NYX #3

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol.2) #1

Ultimate Fallout #4 (regular cover & Marko Djurdjevic Variant)

Here's what I'm confused about - what do I put for the declared value? I'm hoping for 9.8's on all of them but they could be 9.6 or even 9.4 (I am getting them pressed first). Do I put in what raw copies are going for or do I put in what I think they will grade out as?

16 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This is going to be the first time I submit some books to be graded and would like some advise. Here are the ten books i'm going to be sending:

Amazing Spider-Man #238 & 300

Captain Marvel (Vol.8) #14

Incredible Hulk #340

New Mutants #87 & 98

NYX #3

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol.2) #1

Ultimate Fallout #4 (regular cover & Marko Djurdjevic Variant)

Here's what I'm confused about - what do I put for the declared value? I'm hoping for 9.8's on all of them but they could be 9.6 or even 9.4 (I am getting them pressed first). Do I put in what raw copies are going for or do I put in what I think they will grade out as?

Declared value is there for insurance.  If the package gets lost on the way, what would be the reasonable replacement value of those books?  How good are you at grading?  How confident are you that they'll be 9.6 or 9.8?

14 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Declared value is there for insurance.  If the package gets lost on the way, what would be the reasonable replacement value of those books?  How good are you at grading?  How confident are you that they'll be 9.6 or 9.8?

I'm not sure that the bolded statement is true. If your package is lost on the way to CGC, then that is the Post Office's responsibility. If the books are lost or damaged while they are in CGC's posession, then that is CGC's responsibility. If your package is lost on the way back to your home, then that is the Post Office's responsibility.

Don't think that your books can't be lost at CGC. I dropped off nice copies of ASM #194, #300, and #361 at the CGC booth at C2E2 in 2019. These books were lost/misplaced while at CGC, and CGC paid me the insured cost and gave me a good grading credit. The books were found at a much later date, but I had already replaced all three issues. CGC offered to sell them back to me for the insurance price I was awarded. I passed at that time, mainly because my funds for comic books were running low. In retrospect, that was a TERRIBLE decision.

I have submitted books on the boards for sketch opportunities and almost all of them were 9.8/9.6 so I feel pretty confident that they should all hit that range. What would you recommend as an example on one of the books?

52 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'm not sure that the bolded statement is true. If your package is lost on the way to CGC, then that is the Post Office's responsibility. If the books are lost or damaged while they are in CGC's posession, then that is CGC's responsibility. If your package is lost on the way back to your home, then that is the Post Office's responsibility.

I should have been more clear, but it's an important factor when it comes to shipping in either direction.  True, CGC has no say in terms of the declared insurance value when shipping to CGC, but when it comes to return shipping, what you put down is what CGC in turn puts down as the insured value on the trip back to you.  So while the Post Office claims department is the one who will have to front the bill should something happen, the only reason they know what value to assign is because CGC told them that you valued the books at $X,000.

15 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I have submitted books on the boards for sketch opportunities and almost all of them were 9.8/9.6 so I feel pretty confident that they should all hit that range. What would you recommend as an example on one of the books?

But that's my point, even the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 can be thousands of dollars.  ASM300 for 9.8 recently sold for $5900.  A 9.6 for $2400.

If it's me, I'm declaring at the graded value because that's what CGC is going to insure it for when it's shipped back to you.  If you have some 9.8 books but only declared/insured based on the raw values and that shipment somehow gets lost or damaged, you're gonna be real sad.  As for my graded value, I'm probably rounding to what i'm comfortable with instead of assuming they're all 9.8s.

I’d submit them all as $1000 books (although I’m unfamiliar with a book or two). It’s the raw value not graded. Cushion them securely on all sides in a large box and use usps registered mail with your favorite usps branch. Be patient. And here I see you’re in Canada ... :tonofbricks:

Edited by ThothAmon

12 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

So in that scenario, if I claim the 9.6 value then I would have to submit under the express tier or could I still go through the modern tier?

You just hit the nail on the head. You can choose to declare the higher value but you will have to pay more for the higher tier. It's all a balancing act of what makes you the most comfortable. 

On 4/15/2021 at 5:38 PM, yzerman19 said:

The simplest answer is to insure them for whatever amount you want to receive if these are destroyed at any point after you turn them over to the carrier. Forget about what FMV is or what their potential graded value could be.

How much cash do you want if they are destroyed? That's your declared value. (within reason, of course... don't go trying to insure a "$1000 book" for a million) And keep in mind most insurers are going to fight you regardless of the value so be prepared to try and prove their worth if something does happen.

Edited by Fisionbomb
Added clarity