• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAKE CGC ??? PLEASE HELP !

49 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm an Italian comic enthusiast new to the game of CGCs, and today my first one has arrived me at home, bought from another Italian guy on Ebay.

It's a Daredevil 183 9.4, beautiful classic book and amazing cover BUT... I have noticed some suspect details....

1) the most triggering one: as you can see in the picture, on the right side of the slabs there's a thin slit, as the case has been opened from that side. If I pull i can really open it and I thin it shouldn't be like this !

2) the 9.4 is really shady, like grey colored, absolutely not black. Don't know if its normal, maybe some "older" generation slabs/labels were like this.

3) as you can see in the picture the litte label on the top of the slab it's like a sticker, it doesn't come from the inside big label (sorry if my explanation is bad, my english is far from perfect, anyway you should be able to understand what I mean from the pics)

4)one of the corner has some minor flaws, like very little damages. I admit that this may be had been caused by a fall, but I don't know...

In the end do you thin I've been scammed ? Seems strange to me that the Italian guy has tried to fool me, doesn't seemed like an expert in the field, maybe he has bought it from Ebay already counterfeited (anyway I'm sure he noticed that the case was a little bit "open").

4.JPG.cfcf24819437a5626cbef5c0ee3c7e30.JPG1.JPG.bf36192a188c5d61c34317d72610a4f2.JPG2.thumb.JPG.05119e4aff484200e5407b0bd6bfd6e5.JPG6.thumb.JPG.5f6546c3ae5c7fe3b948d6b8facfb880.JPG

5.JPG

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

That looks like a completely normal case of the type that CGC used for the first ~75% of their existence. 

So do you think I shouldn't worry about right little opening/crack on the right side ?

Seems strange to me, shouldn't it be completely and well sealed ?

Yeah, everything about the case looks normal...even the sticker on the top.  The case itself may have suffered from shipping/storage wear and tear.  I looked up the number...it was graded in 2015 so it matches what the CGC labels would have looked like back then. (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Yeah, everything about the case looks normal...even the sticker on the top.  The case itself may have suffered from shipping/storage wear and tear.  I looked up the number...it was graded in 2015 so it matches what the CGC labels would have looked like back then. (thumbsu

Really appreciate your help man ! Thought that CGC did their cases better XD

it needs to breathe, it is designed like that purposely

the crack in the corner is a bother but not too significant in my opinion, as long as the book doesn't look like it got damaged I owuldn't worry about it

welcome to the boards!

3 minutes ago, Simone Costantini said:

Why man ? I thought that air can damage the book inside... Jesus I am really inexperienced XD

air has moisture, you do not want to create a sealed chamber where condensation may occur due to temperature/pressure changes

the properties of paper are also relevant I believe but beyond my pay grade here

19 minutes ago, SamPool said:

Did you not post something similar about counterfeit/tampered CGC the other day..

Was that information not enough?  I do not think people will go about tampering with a low value book (below $500).

Yeah yeah it was me, I understood what you meant about the effort for tampering a low value book, but you know, I have never hold a CGC in my hand before today, so when I've seen that little crack I was worried XD

18 minutes ago, Bird said:

air has moisture, you do not want to create a sealed chamber where condensation may occur due to temperature/pressure changes

the properties of paper are also relevant I believe but beyond my pay grade here

Ahn ok ok, you're right ! Didn't think about the moisture thing (:

1 minute ago, Simone Costantini said:

Ahahaha i'll do it man, now that I know how a CGC case is made, I'll do it I swear :)

You should!  The outer case is the extra protection for the sealed comic book.  However, the newest case is much safer so the label could not be tampered.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

I also believe that the comic paper releases gas and the CGC case is designed to allow that gas to escape.

Your case is normal.  Relax.

you release gas too

isn't that why they call you the human torch?