• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAKE CGC ??? PLEASE HELP !

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Galen130 said:

Yeah, everything about the case looks normal...even the sticker on the top.  The case itself may have suffered from shipping/storage wear and tear.  I looked up the number...it was graded in 2015 so it matches what the CGC labels would have looked like back then. (thumbsu

Great idea look up the number 👌

31 minutes ago, Bird said:
36 minutes ago, Simone Costantini said:

Why man ? I thought that air can damage the book inside... Jesus I am really inexperienced XD

air has moisture, you do not want to create a sealed chamber where condensation may occur due to temperature/pressure changes

the properties of paper are also relevant I believe but beyond my pay grade here

Bird is spot on.  You do not want it to be air tight because of this, as well as the paper will give off gases as it ages.  This is a standard part of time, it is essentially decomposing.  While the slabbing slows it, it will not completely halt the process.  If you trapped the gases the paper is releasing in with the book it would speed up the decomposition, if I am off on this and someone has a better reason feel free to correct me (but this is my understanding).  So instead the slab allows for the gases to be released.

1 hour ago, Simone Costantini said:

Hi guys, I'm an Italian comic enthusiast new to the game of CGCs, and today my first one has arrived me at home, bought from another Italian guy on Ebay.

It's a Daredevil 183 9.4, beautiful classic book and amazing cover BUT... I have noticed some suspect details....

1) the most triggering one: as you can see in the picture, on the right side of the slabs there's a thin slit, as the case has been opened from that side. If I pull i can really open it and I thin it shouldn't be like this !

2) the 9.4 is really shady, like grey colored, absolutely not black. Don't know if its normal, maybe some "older" generation slabs/labels were like this.

3) as you can see in the picture the litte label on the top of the slab it's like a sticker, it doesn't come from the inside big label (sorry if my explanation is bad, my english is far from perfect, anyway you should be able to understand what I mean from the pics)

4)one of the corner has some minor flaws, like very little damages. I admit that this may be had been caused by a fall, but I don't know...

In the end do you thin I've been scammed ? Seems strange to me that the Italian guy has tried to fool me, doesn't seemed like an expert in the field, maybe he has bought it from Ebay already counterfeited (anyway I'm sure he noticed that the case was a little bit "open").

4.JPG.cfcf24819437a5626cbef5c0ee3c7e30.JPG1.JPG.bf36192a188c5d61c34317d72610a4f2.JPG2.thumb.JPG.05119e4aff484200e5407b0bd6bfd6e5.JPG6.thumb.JPG.5f6546c3ae5c7fe3b948d6b8facfb880.JPG

5.JPG

Very cool! 

1 hour ago, Simone Costantini said:
1 hour ago, SamPool said:

Did you not post something similar about counterfeit/tampered CGC the other day..

Was that information not enough?  I do not think people will go about tampering with a low value book (below $500).

Yeah yeah it was me, I understood what you meant about the effort for tampering a low value book, but you know, I have never hold a CGC in my hand before today, so when I've seen that little crack I was worried XD

I'm not picking on you but the truly disturbing thing is how so many people assume, in their inexperience, that something is wrong, that something is counterfeit, that someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, that someone cheated them, etc. I'm not sure where this level of panic and insecurity comes from.

22 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Bird is spot on.  You do not want it to be air tight because of this, as well as the paper will give off gases as it ages.  This is a standard part of time, it is essentially decomposing.  While the slabbing slows it, it will not completely halt the process.  If you trapped the gases the paper is releasing in with the book it would speed up the decomposition, if I am off on this and someone has a better reason feel free to correct me (but this is my understanding).  So instead the slab allows for the gases to be released.

OK, then, should I not keep my CGC graded books in sealed mylar sleeves?  They look great but am I defeating this gas release process?  Also, how is this affected by age & paper type?  For example, a 1970's book make out of that old newsprint paper versus a modern book on glossy-type paper.   I would hypothesize that the new book would release far less gasses due to age as well as much superior paper.  Any thoughts on that?

Edited by BladeTX
Typo