• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a good idea to “marry” a book?

19 posts in this topic

I have a Batman golden age cover and I just found someone selling the same issue coverless. So my questions are:

1. In term of value, is it generally a good idea to marry a book?

2. Assuming that the grade would normally be a 1.0 (if the book was not a married copy), does the married book would have the same grade, but with a green label?

52 minutes ago, Beney117 said:

I have a Batman golden age cover and I just found someone selling the same issue coverless. So my questions are:

Not knowing the cost of the cover you have, I would say generally speaking a married copy should be worth a bit more than a coverless copy.

2. Assuming that the grade would normally be a 1.0 (if the book was not a married copy), does the married book would have the same grade, but with a green label?

That is how it's supposed to work, but there are examples of married copies are in blue labels, especially golden age books.
The big question here I would think is, are you certain that the cover you have has no restoration?
Probably the best approach is to have a highly regarded presser do the marrying and check the cover for resto, and then submit it to CGC. Depending on the alignment of the stars the day it is graded you might even get a blue label.
I'll let the golden age experts elaborate on the chances of that.

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

Getting married is never a good idea

It's murder on the comic book budget, but if he decides to go through with it, I wish them good luck and may their first child be a masculine child, in the immortal words of Luca Brassi. (thumbsu

Edited by James J Johnson

On 4/19/2021 at 4:32 AM, Angel of Death said:

Do you want to marry a book?

I'm not sure if it is legally supported.

Hide contents

:jokealert:

It's not as much of a joke as you think; in fact, to some, who have married a pillow, a roller coaster, a doll, a video game character, the Berline Wall, and even the Eiffel Tower, to name a few examples of non-traditional non-human brides and grooms, it's serious business! 

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

It's not as much of a joke as you think; in fact, to some, who have married a pillow, a roller coaster, a doll, a video game character, the Berline Wall, and even the Eiffel Tower, to name a few examples of non-traditional non-human brides and grooms, it's serious business! 

mail.gif

On 4/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, Beney117 said:

The answer is yes to both. A green label complete book would be worth more than a cover less book

On 4/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Beney117 said:

Impossible to say without knowing: (1) the value of the parts you already own; (2) the cost of the parts needed to complete your copy; (3) the cost of marrying the parts (if you plan on retaining the services of a skilled professional); (4) the cost of having the book CGC-certified (including shipping fees to and from Sarasota); and (5) the value of your own time.  If the total cost of reaching your final destination is worth less than the book's final value (minus the value of the parts you already own), you will have FAILED in your quest to make $$$.

Assessment of cost and/or value requires a knowledge of issue number.  (Did I overlook someone already asking about this?  (shrug))  Many Golden Age Batman issues (issues before #103) have market values well under $100 in 1.0 FR condition.  The lower the market value of the book, the less likely it becomes that CGC-certification will make you $$$.

21 hours ago, zzutak said:

Assessment of cost and/or value requires a knowledge of issue number.  (Did I overlook someone already asking about this?  (shrug))  Many Golden Age Batman issues (issues before #103) have market values well under $100 in 1.0 FR condition.  The lower the market value of the book, the less likely it becomes that CGC-certification will make you $$$.

Also, CGC just raised prices on those types of books. Now costs $33 (before shipping, taxes, handling) making it less worthwhile than before.