• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brzrkr #1 one per store
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, Randall Ries said:

I don't see a tear per se. Is the term "tear" also used for when ink is scuffed off the binding or lost by opening and closing the cover? Right now the book is 9.2 or so?

To my knowledge (and I'm no expert) there's no agreed set definition for bindery tears and more often used as a blanket term for corner issues happen during binding.

I've seen anything from stress marks, minor spine splits and actual physical diagonal splits be referred to as "bindery tears".

Whether this comes under the same term, something different or is actually post production damage I'm very unsure of. To me it looks like it's possibly a manufacturing defect with the thickness of the book and the paper quality it looks like it could be a result of stress when it was folded. But it could also be handling damage.

I will try to take some better pictures 

1 hour ago, Ian callaghan said:

MVIMG_20210421_113308.jpg

MVIMG_20210421_113426.jpg

MVIMG_20210421_113436.jpg

MVIMG_20210421_113448.jpg

Yes. The corners are damaged for sure. All down the spine of the book is flaked away color. To me, it would seem that damage must be from damage caused while shipping in whatever damage box they came in. I think I would be "in grave doubt" if my book was listed as having "bindery tears". A tear to me means a section of paper has "torn away" - if you will - from the rest of the foundational material from whence it was previously anchored.

Believe me. I have seen things. Torn things.

So, the loss of pigmentation we see here could be from the aggravation from being shipped but we see it isn't uniform. I would pose it happened when some careless oaf had the nerve to read the book OR it happened in production as the book had the cover applied to it and was violently slammed shut by a piece of machinery that obviously shouldn't be handling comic books. The sudden force of the cover being bent in half whereas before it was a horizontal - "flat" -  piece of paper or cardboard likely caused the damage as we can see it trying to wrap itself around more folded pieces of paper. While trying to contain the pages, I'll bet anything the paint came flying off. A tear? I think no. Missing pigmentation by some violent force? Absolutely. Was it the accursed "Shipping Box Rubbing Syndrome"? Probably not.

This was done by some machine who cares NOTHING for books that are 1:1000. The CORNER rubs are likely the cause of motion in said shipping box. While enjoying their status as "This Side Up", we extrapolate that the books suffered from "Titanic Lifeboat Syndrome". Only 12 in a boat that was designed to service 65. The extra area in the shipping box could have held more books. If that had happened, we would see no corner wear as they would have no room to MOVE. Elementary E=MC2.

I believe the owner of this book has a legal case against the production machine. Plus, the company who owns the machine, it's shareholders and even other companies who produced the parts to make the machine. And THEIR stock holders as well as the peasants who mined the elements from the very Earth that enabled the makers of the machine to create the thing in the first place which caused the purchasers to buy the machine, thinking they were getting a "good deal" while having NO idea they were setting themselves up for a fall.